Cody Latimer Signs with NYG. So what does this mean for our need at WR?

BaldyBronco

Well, we've lost our No. 3 and No. 4 WRs this offseason (Latimer and Bennie Fowler) and Carlos Henderson ate a whole bunch of pot (literally). 

Clearly, WR is a need but I don't see anyone of note on the market. The same goes for a veteran TE. I know the team is high on Jake Butt, as am I, but a game-manager like Keenum is going to need more weapons than just the declining DT and Sanders. 

We have $25m in cap space still, I don't understand why Elway is just sitting on that money while on free agent after another gets scooped up. 

I would go after Maclin at WR. Baltimore's offense is a mess, I think he's still got a lot to offer. Would also like Kendall Wright or Deonte Thompson. We've at least shown some interest in Thompson. I'm sure we'll do something stupid like sign Eric Decker who is useless, but maybe not. The bigger issue now is that we've lost depth at WR and ST depth. Can Henderson play? If he can, maybe this solves a problem, but we're beyond thin at WR right now.

34 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

What could they reasonably offer that the Bears wouldn’t match? 

CHI can match any offer we make. 

It’s more about testing their resolve.  They have ARob Taylor Gabriel and Josh Bellamy all signed.  And they committed to 2 TE in Shaheen (rd2 pick 2017) and Trey Burton.  

Meredith is clearly a promising talent but off ACL how much will they commit?  They didn’t even want to commit 1M more to put the 2nd round tender.  

I’d make a 3-year 15M offer with only first  year guarantee and a clause that no tag gets applied.   6M year.   Then 9M in last 2 years.  

With 2 TE and 3 WR under contract that’s a gamble I’d use Von’s freed up $ for.  Worst case CHI matches. 

Moncrief signed for 9.6M/1-year and Marquise Lee 4.75M cap hit.  Moncrief I loved but way too high lol.   Don’t know why JAX didn’t just commit the 16M tag to ARob TBH.   

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

How was Cody for you guys? Don't know much about him. I think he is going to take Dwayne Harris's spot as 3/4 WR and ST gunner. 

He was a bust. He never lived up to his billing as a 2nd rounder, but part of that was his inability to grasp the Manning offense of old. He certainly looks the part, but never found his consistency. A change of scenery could be the perfect thing for him, but he's very good on special teams.

47 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, we've lost our No. 3 and No. 4 WRs this offseason (Latimer and Bennie Fowler) and Carlos Henderson ate a whole bunch of pot (literally). 

Clearly, WR is a need but I don't see anyone of note on the market. The same goes for a veteran TE. I know the team is high on Jake Butt, as am I, but a game-manager like Keenum is going to need more weapons than just the declining DT and Sanders. 

We have $25m in cap space still, I don't understand why Elway is just sitting on that money while on free agent after another gets scooped up. 

Pot in CO does not scare me all that much.  But is there a chance Carlos comes through?

44 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

How was Cody for you guys? Don't know much about him. I think he is going to take Dwayne Harris's spot as 3/4 WR and ST gunner. 

42 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

He was a bust. He never lived up to his billing as a 2nd rounder, but part of that was his inability to grasp the Manning offense of old. He certainly looks the part, but never found his consistency. A change of scenery could be the perfect thing for him, but he's very good on special teams.

If the Q is "how well will he replace Dwayne Harris?" - my answer is really, really, really well.

He's an excellent gunner on ST, and a very solid KR.  Just doesn't have home run burst, so he isn't likely returning any kicks to the house. 

As a receiver, he's flashed at times the last 2 years, but that's it.  He's not a deep threat, more of a big-body, make-the-tough catch kind of guy, who does have YAC ability.   He had a shot to do more in 2017, but got hurt, and that was that.   If he's your 4th WR, he'll be fine.   On the NYG team, you already have your top 3 targets - OBJ, Shepard, and Engram (is a glorified WR in a TE position).  As your 4th target, he'll be serviceable. 

The thing is, we won't ever get past the fact that in the legendary 2014 WR draft, we whiffed badly - in Rd 2, the guys that went after him?   Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson.  OOOF.    I wish him well, he was at least a ST ace for us in our SB year and afterwards.  But yeah, that pick...*cry*.

We could also offer a 6th round pick this year or next years 7th rounder for a young WR needing a change of scenery or who hasn't panned out for his current team. 

Liquan Treadwell would fall into that category.  He played with Case last year in Minny.  Was a 1st rounder a couple years back.

Jordan Matthews could possible help at this point. 

Fact is, the buffet has been picked over and all that is left is just scraps and pieces of stuff nobody wants.

Definitely need to bring in a WR who is ready to play. There’s a good chance one of DT or E will be washed this upcoming season, could be both. It’s insane to think that we can run our offense through those two at this stage. Totally living in the past. 

That’s the #1 reason I’ve been a proponent of picking Barkley. Forget that he’s a RB, this offense needs a centerpiece to build around. Right now teams have to game plan for a beat up DT, 31 year old Sanders, plodding Booker and whatever the hell Jake Butt is after tearing up his knee twice. That’s horrific. Gotta have a playmaker who moves the needle. 

Archived