Cody Latimer Signs with NYG. So what does this mean for our need at WR?

BaldyBronco

To be clear, I’m not even stating an opinion about Sanders there. I am talking about things that have actually happened that refute the idea that he is some model professional for young players to aspire to. Yes, he’s a baller and a tireless worker but a leader? His actions show he isn’t one. He’ll never be kept for any intangibles like that anyway, they will only put up with him if he can still ball. When the quickness is gone, he’ll be a free agent. 

2 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

Ah. Maybe?  So you are set on Barkley and I can't argue with someone who is.  Kid is special.  I just have this brick and mortar belief right now.  I never want anyone to think I am anti  - Barkley, I don't see him changing this team as it stands now.  If Elway can use this Von Money through trade to fill a couple holes (O LINE!!), I would warm up in a big hurry to this.

I'm actually more  pro QB at #5 than any other position but it's looking more and more likely that Elway doesn't see it that way and won't be drafting a QB unless his guy falls to him.

Here's what I want from the draft:

Either the top QB on our board (Rosen or Darnold)

if Elway wont do that then I want an elite player, ala Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson in that order.

Lastly would be a trade down scenario but it better be straight up amazing return to do it.

Last time we drafted this high we got an elite game changer in Von that we build around and it ended up with a Superbowl.  I want a player we can build around and be the face of the franchise as Von begins to slow down which is inevitable.   Trading down to accumulate picks IMO is a lot of faith in the front office not pissing away 2nd rounders like its their job.  At least in the top 5 it's less likely he busts but what do I know

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dude the rules of the forum are to be civil to each other.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a player.   @BroncoBruin doesn’t need to apologize to anyone.   He knows the rules like pretty much everyone else.  There is zero call for this.  

People don’t have to agree.   Disagreement is how we learn from each other.  But we should stay on topic and talk about the points made - not personal jabs at the people making the posts .   This does not help in any way.  Let’s be better than this. 

I agree with that.  But Sanders is one of us, whether  he posts here or not.  I dont't think an apology is the point.  I think his opinion is totally his.  I read that rule as respect for everyone. I would think Sander sucks would suffice.  I get it though.  Still learning the ropes @Broncofan

2 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

I agree with that.  But Sanders is one of us, whether  he posts here or not.  I dont't think an apology is the point.  I think his opinion is totally his.  I read that rule as respect for everyone. I would think Sander sucks would suffice.  I get it though.  Still learning the ropes @Broncofan

Man you must've missed the McDaniels/Tebow days.  This forum was full of hot takes, and super entertaining

Just now, Broncofan said:

Or John Fox after the BAL playoff game. 

Dude that game almost killed me.  Biggest let down sports wise of my life, the Seattle Superbowl is close but I was so drunk after that game started going south that I honestly don't remember much of it

Also, I am making the case for Barkley but could just as easily for both Nelson and Chubb. To me all three will be future studs and all would greatly improve one of the weakest areas on the team. 

Trading up for Rosen or Donald is the most tempting option, but it may not be worth it to give up the haul of draft picks considering we have a pool of young talent as shallow as any team in the league. We are not in position to help franchise QBs succeed, and tbh as a fan I am pretty invested in Rosen’s success and wouldn’t want that for him. 

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Also, I am making the case for Barkley but could just as easily for both Nelson and Chubb. To me all three will be future studs and all would greatly improve one of the weakest areas on the team. 

Trading up for Rosen or Donald is the most tempting option, but it may not be worth it to give up the haul of draft picks considering we have a pool of young talent as shallow as any team in the league. We are not in position to help franchise QBs succeed, and tbh as a fan I am pretty invested in Rosen’s success and wouldn’t want that for him. 

i'm not surprised to be in total agreement with BB 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

I agree with that 100%  Get a game changer, and if it's Chubb or Barkley hopefully the future face of the franchise.  Nelson probably is the safest pick and honestly I'm completely fine with drafting him and having an elite OG for over a decade too.  I want one of these 5: Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson.

Yup.  There are so many scenarios right now.

The running back thing is a really tough one.  Last years draft as an example.  There are 4 or 5 stud RBs from last years draft and while I agree that Barkley is THE BEST,  the value of the players taken in the 2nd and 3rd round was pretty darn impressive. 

Just focused on the Barkley thing right now.

I would probably value Barkley and Hernandez over Nelson and Chubb, for example. Although it's close. I think Hernandez is closer to Nelson than some of the other backs are to Barkley, especially in terms of their ability to contribute quickly. 

To be honest, both guard and RB are not particularly strong positional value at #5 overall, but for me, RB inches out guard a bit. If it was RB vs. tackle, give me tackle every day. I'd almost prefer Bradley Chubb at this point just because of how highly I think of him as a player. 

Anyway, since this is a WR thread, I'm also not discounting the possibility of a WR much earlier than expected. One or both of Sanders/DT were nearly out the door this year. No reason to believe they'll for sure be around long-term, especially Sanders given his contract situation.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Penny is on my list you see he has more yards with less blocking than Barkley? Him or the guy from oregon would be awesome for us.

I love Penny but he definitely enjoyed a better situation as a pure runner than Barkley. Penny is the best SDSU back to come out in a long time, but the Aztecs churn out a dominant running game every year. They are a lot like Stanford. Penn State's line is pretty bad, plus they run out of shotgun all the time and 4-5 guys are zeroing in on Barkley before every snap. 

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Penny is on my list you see he has more yards with less blocking than Barkley? Him or the guy from oregon would be awesome for us.

His level of competition is also significantly lower than Barkley playing in the B1G. 

Royce Freeman is a different story. I like him a lot. Renck and Klis have floated his name too. He's definitely on our board.

Archived