Burnett overpricing himself after Mathieu signing?

ricky

It seems that the market for FA safeties is pretty soft, and Tyrann Mathieu (Honey Badger) signing with Houston on a one year, $7 million deal really sets a low bar for the market. This article explores the issue, and makes a good point- does anyone want to pay a lot more for a player with less potential impact? 

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2018/2018/3/19/17138702/nfl-free-agency-2018-why-is-the-market-for-morgan-burnett-safeties-so-quiet

I would say he most definitely has.

Since 2015, there have only been 4 safties who have gotten contracts averaging $7M+, and Tony Jefferson is the only strong safety to have commanded that much.  Burnett isn't nearly as good at his position as Jefferson, and he is 3 years older than him.  The other issue Burnett is facing is that he can't even say he has knowledge of the system going for him, as from what I understand, Pettine's defense is completely different than the one Capers has been running the past couple of years.

The only things Burnett has going for him is that: A) the Packers are so thin at DB, they may need to overpay him a bit to ensure that they have someone who can reliably cover in the slot, as right now, it doesn't look like they have that guy (unless Rollins' rehab is going much better than expected). and B) he at least has a presence in the locker room, and from what I've read, he's well-liked and respected by the other players - something which surely counts for something.

Archived