Post First Wave of FA Mock - 3 Rounds, TRADES

Rich7sena

You are off on the 49ers - if they should go DL in the first round again, there's NO chance that'll be a NT even is he's viewed as the second coming of Vince Wilfork.
Earl Mitchell and D.J. Jones are sufficient...

They need passrusher (LEO), LBers, OL, redzone target and another longarmed big CB.

1.9 - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
2.59 (from New Orleans) - Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
3.70 (from Chicago) - Austin Corbett, OL, Nevada
3.74 - Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida State

On 3/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, FalconFan13 said:

The Falcons draft i really don't understand that much as we don't address our biggest need where we need atleast 2 of them in the 1st 3 rounds at all in DT or NT.    Plus i don't consider Green even a 2nd round prospect much less a 1st round prospect so thats a big no from me on him.  I might be ok in the late round 2 but theirs atleast 8 or more DT's i would take before him in this draft for sure.   Green is like 6'4 275 he would be a heavy DE more than a DT although at that size he could do some spot DT on pass rush situations. 

Still though with your draft and how FA has gone so far  Grady Jarrett is the only DT on the entire roster still as it sits and we need 4 of them so we need 3 more somehow.

As for the WR and RB those are also guys i think that went a round or 2 to early as well and RB isn't even that big a position of need for the Falcons maybe in the 6th round if a solid one falls with upside but thats about it.     I appreciate the effort but this draft as it sits would be a epic fail for the Falcons and we better do much better than this come the real draft or we are going to be in some serious trouble this year.

Green is a player I expect the NFL likes more than do draftniks. I envision him playing the Michael Bennett role with McKinley playing RE and Beasley playing SLB and end in nickel. Since this is only a 3 round mock, I didn't include some starting caliber nose tackle prospects like Foley Fatukasi. I don't think this draft has a lot of value at the defensive tackle position on the second day.

I threw Kerryon Johnson in there somewhat because every draft has its surprises. Also, speaking logically, drafting an RB on the second day gives the team leverage and flexibility with Tevin Coleman.

I left Hurst out of the first round because I'm not sure how NFL teams will react to his heart ailment. It recently came out that doctors from both Harvard and Michigan cleared him, so I might be more confident putting him in the late first round. 

On 3/20/2018 at 4:24 AM, Uncle Buck said:

In this scenario, I would like to see the Vikings take Hernandez (like you had them doing), and then following that up with Ragnow in the second round.  Our need for O-line is great enough where they could very well take two of them early, and Ragnow has Minnesota roots, so they may have an inside track on him.

Doubling down on offensive lineman isn't a common draft maneuver. Unless a top prospect like Billy Price or Isaiah Wynn falls, I think the Vikings diversify their picks.

8 hours ago, Danish49ers said:

You are off on the 49ers - if they should go DL in the first round again, there's NO chance that'll be a NT even is he's viewed as the second coming of Vince Wilfork.
Earl Mitchell and D.J. Jones are sufficient...

They need passrusher (LEO), LBers, OL, redzone target and another longarmed big CB.

1.9 - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
2.59 (from New Orleans) - Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
3.70 (from Chicago) - Austin Corbett, OL, Nevada
3.74 - Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida State

I disagree with your assessment. From watching the 49ers this season, I believe the team would  strongly benefit from having an elite interior presence. Vea would take immense pressure off of DeForest Buckner in the middle in early downs -- who wouldn't have to play 1-tech nearly as much as he does. Also, Vea is more than just a run stuffing nose tackle. He has pocket pushing upside and can flatten out surprisingly well for a player his size.

@bigbillshater Thanks for pointing that out.

Beasley playing SLB and end in nickel.    This right here is a 100% no go and won't happen bro.   He was a SLB last year for us and he failed so bad at it than Quinn himself came out earlier this year and said Beasley will not go back to SLb and will be doing every snap at DE which is where he got his big sack season.    So Beasley will guaranteed be our DE this year and Takk + Shelby + Reed will be there with him.    I agree we can use a SDE a bigger guy for run downs at times but we for sure need Dt more than any of them.    My point on DT was even if we get a 4th rounder guy you like that still only leaves us 2 of 4 on the roster lol.   We need 2 of them in the draft not just 1 and 1 of them should be a high pick with talent.

17 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree with your assessment. From watching the 49ers this season, I believe the team would  strongly benefit from having an elite interior presence. Vea would take immense pressure off of DeForest Buckner in the middle in early downs -- who wouldn't have to play 1-tech nearly as much as he does. Also, Vea is more than just a run stuffing nose tackle. He has pocket pushing upside and can flatten out surprisingly well for a player his size.

So four years in a row you think the 49ers need an interior defensive lineman... Armstead, Buckner, Thomas and now Vea - what kind of front...
Mitchell and Jones might not be world-beaters, but at the moment they would be sufficient in San Francisco.

Buckner lined up around 25% of the time at the 1-tech, mostly in subpackages, but his strength is clearly as a 3-tech, and Solomon Thomas should make a step up in year two helping the front even more...

But it's your mock - I don't agree with your pick, so be it...

This is going to sound nitpicky. But even though they've stated that they are probably going to draft a RB, I don't think they are really very interested in Penny. He's a really good runner, which is why it's so disheartening that he stinks at blocking. 

The answer I'm probably going to get is that he can be coached to do that. And that's true to a point. But really, if we're taking a guy relatively high... like a 3rd rounder is... we have expectations that he will be a border-line starter or at least a significant contributor in his first year. Yet, if he can't block, we're not going put him out on the field to get Stafford killed. This offense, as long as Stafford is here and JBC is his OC, is going to be a pass-oriented offense. And nobody wants their franchise QB hurt.

On top of that, I'm not sure you can coach him up if he doesn't want to be coached up. From what I saw from Penny it isn't even that he really has such poor blocking ability, it looked like he just didn't want to. I know I'm not stating a popular position, but Penny is not a good fit for the Lions. There are other RBs who will be available at that point that will fit better.

Archived