Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

As a Browns fan I believe the Giants have the most interesting pick in the draft.

Our pick isn’t a surprise no matter what we were always going QB at nothing else was ever a legitimate option. We control the draft, but only after the Giants dictate the flow. 

The Giants are in a position I’ve never seen before. 

I cant believe it’d be a serious option to not do this but they’re in a position where they can either set themselves up for the next 15 years and get a legit Franchise QB at 2. New coaching staff and FO could tie themselves to a young franchise QB and have their jobs locked down for a long time. I think theyd absolutely be idiots not to do this. 

Or

they could squeeze whatever juice is left out of their 37 year old QB and supply him for a QBs best friend in an explosive RB like Barkley or a sure thing all pro with Nelson to fill their biggest hole on the Oline. This way they make the most out of what’s left of the 2016 playoff team. Maybe allow from a 3-13 to the Super Bowl ?

Or

they could trade down to a QB needing team when potential franchise QBs are staring them right in the face and get more picks as they only have 5 right now. 

I think they will end up drafting Rosen I can’t believe the new FO along with Pat Shurmur won’t want to get their fresh franchise QB to mold behind Eli. But I wanted to get everyone else’s take on it.

I think they should stay put and draft their next franchise QB. There are plenty of rumblings that the Giants don't want to do that just yet, and in that case, they'd be stupid if they didn't get on the phone with someone--most likely the Bills--and trade down. Most of the rumblings indicate they'll go for Barkley, though. Which isn't particularly smart, but a lot of their free agent moves do point to that. So, I'll say that's the most likely (although not the best). 

I think this question ultimately comes down to what you think of Eli.

- If you think he's done, you bring in the new guy at 2.

- If you think you can play him for a season or two, you go non-QB. (I'm located here, BTW).

I guess the question then becomes: If you think he's done and Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Mayfield is the choice, what do you do with Eli? Having him as a lame duck QB is a horrible idea, ESPECIALLY in the NY media epicenter. The minute he throws an INT, you'll have backpages begging to put in the rookie - who may or may not be ready. If you thought the McAdoo drama was too much, just wait for the QB controversy to take center stage on Page Six. Benching him was widely lamented as a horrible decision (and see my other question, to expand on this).

Another question: How does the rookie fare with no OL or run game to speak of? Shane Vereen and Jonathan Stewart aren't going to alleviate the lack of a run game, Nate Solder improves the OL a tad, but enough to put in a rookie? Probably not (unless you're really looking to break said rookie by putting them into a bad situation).

When in doubt, trading down is the best possible solution, but we'll see of someone can pony up MORE than what the Jets just gave up for three (which was a ton, for three spots up the board). That's the easiest solution, but gotta find someone willing to buy at a premium.

Ultimately, I'd advocate picking up Saquan Barkley at 1.2, then either trading up in the late 20s or staying at 2.2 to draft Lamar Jackson - a guy who can actually sit without too much pressure from fans/media to get into the game. When Jackson is ready, he'll have a top 3 RB to go with a top 5 WR to run with.

That's how I see it at least.

It is the 'Golden Rule' for me!!! 'When you get an opportunity to draft a franchise QB, you grab it, because, you never know when the next opportunity will come along'!!!

If I am the Giants, I am not prepared to believe a 37 year old QB has a much longer career. He could retire at any time and leave ther franchise high and dry!

I seriously don’t get how they could go non QB

you can get a solid running back later in this draft Michel, Guice, Jones the list goes on 

you can get a guard with potential later he won’t be Nelson but man you can always find guards or move tackles inside to guard

your not getting a Josh Rosen who can be your 15+ year franchise QB later 

Having Shurmur as our HC in Cleveland I don’t think he’d commit suicide by passing on his QB at 2. If he drafts Rosen he’s got a job for the next 4 years 

If he goes Barkley or Nelson and they suck he’s kicked out the next day 

I just don’t understand how there’s any other way it’s like your telling me 2+2=9 

As I saying before I edited my post away because I missed the whole 'Bradley Chubb at #2' thing....

Davis Webb was one of if not my favorite QB prospect in last year's draft.  He really impressed me at the senior bowl in a year where I had major reservations about basically every quarterback.  With that being said, I think the best course of action for the Giants is to trade down with the Bills.  At #12, they could draft either a defensive back or a wide receiver.  Denzel Ward could start at nickel for them and eventually replace Eli Apple at outside corner.  Calvin Ridley could be the immediate replacement for Brandon Marshall and the long term replacement for Odell Beckham Jr, who apparently wants at least the sun, the moons and the stars and is contemplating requesting the earth and the heavens as well.  Ridley gives Eli a potentially top five WR corps in the short term and the flexibility to let OBJ walk in a few years. 

At #22, you can draft an offensive lineman, a running back or a linebacker.  The Giants signed Patrick Omameh to play guard.  Will they stand pat with that or would they want someone like Isaiah Wynn or Will Hernandez?  The Giants have had one of the worst offensive lines in the league for many years now.  They're added two new lineman in free agency, moving Ereck Flowers to right tackle and drafting an interior lineman so they can move John Jerry or Brett Jones to the bench could really solidify things going forward.  Or maybe they will draft a linebacker.  I honestly don't know what scheme the Giants will be running going forward, but I do know they have neglected the linebacker position since Antonio Pierce retired.  Adding Alec Ogletree means they have one good linebacker, but I wouldn't say they have more than one.  Dave Gettleman put an emphasis on having quality linebackers in Carolina, maybe that trend will continue in New York.  Leighton Vanden Esch and Rashaan Evans could both be here if the Giants decide to go that route.  It's very possible every running back not named Saquon Barkley will be available at #22 as well.  The Giants have Jonathan Stewart, Paul Perkins and Wayne Gallman at running back.  A veritable who's that of running backs. 

And then of course you have the second round to possibly draft that running back or wide receiver or defensive back you didn't get in the first round.  Maybe they want a long term replacement for the aging 31 year old John Jerry but are willing to wait for Billy Price to heal from his pectoral injury.  That would also give them the flexibility to possibly bench Brett Jones if he doesn't work out.  Having five or six picks in the top seventy gives you the ability to do that. 

There are a lot of problems the Giants could fix if they trade down.  Or they could stand pat at draft a quarterback at #2. 

It's hard to know because so many of the Giants fans I know have this cult like dedication to Eli that it seems like an obvious decision to switch from a QB who just had a god awful season and is 37, but lo and behold there's an actual debate on this. There's a lot of devotion to a guy who last helped his team win a playoff game back in 2011.

14 minutes ago, Malik said:

It's hard to know because so many of the Giants fans I know have this cult like dedication to Eli that it seems like an obvious decision to switch from a QB who just had a god awful season and is 37, but lo and behold there's an actual debate on this. There's a lot of devotion to a guy who last helped his team win a playoff game back in 2011.

That’s really the problem tbh. It was dumb that even transitioning from Eli this year was a controversy. 

53 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Davis Webb was one of if not my favorite QB prospect in last year's draft.  He really impressed me at the senior bowl in a year where I had major reservations about basically every quarterback.  With that being said, I think the best course of action for the Giants is to trade down with the Bills.  

If Webb has any sort of decent chance at being a franchise QB (and I'm not even talking rock-solid, here), then the Giants should make the trade with the Bills, and roll with Eli and Davis. If they end up sucking again, they can worry at QB next year. 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I seriously don’t get how they could go non QB

you can get a solid running back later in this draft Michel, Guice, Jones the list goes on 

you can get a guard with potential later he won’t be Nelson but man you can always find guards or move tackles inside to guard

your not getting a Josh Rosen who can be your 15+ year franchise QB later 

Having Shurmur as our HC in Cleveland I don’t think he’d commit suicide by passing on his QB at 2. If he drafts Rosen he’s got a job for the next 4 years 

If he goes Barkley or Nelson and they suck he’s kicked out the next day 

I just don’t understand how there’s any other way it’s like your telling me 2+2=9 

This. I find it hilarious how they're seriously considering going non-QB when the only reason they're even in a position to draft a franchise QB is because their aging QB was hot garbage last year and wasn't much better the year before when he had a top 10 (arguably top 5) D to bail him out. The dude is done, get your franchise QB while you still can. 

Not to mention they can draft their franchise QB in Rosen and still come away with a pretty good RB in Guice in rd 2. I'd take Rosen + Guice over Barkley any damn day of the week, it's not rocket science.

Archived