Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Every year, we get the whole "next year's QBs are better" comments and almost everytime it turns out to be false.  Why is this year any different?

He's not really saying that, though. I think his argument is that this class outside of Darnold isn't anything special (and even Darnold has some question marks).

I think - irrespective of draft class - you never force a position unless you have a once in a decade talent in your sights. 

18 hours ago, brownie man said:

Just got done thinking about this 

NY should really trade down 

This is always the correct answer, regardless of where you pick. If someone offers you a ton of capital to move out of your pick, you move out if your pick (unless you have some elite/blue chip prospect at a position of need at your pick). 

The Giants DO have an elite/blue chip prospect in their sights with Barkley, but given the amount of compensation the Colts got for #3, the Giants can justify not taking Barkley, simply for the compensation they'll get for #2.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

He's not really saying that, though. I think his argument is that this class outside of Darnold isn't anything special (and even Darnold has some question marks).

I think - irrespective of draft class - you never force a position unless you have a once in a decade talent in your sights. 

I mean, nobody is saying you should draft a QB you don't believe in.  I just hate the concept that next year's class is always better, which turns out to be false more often than it doesn't.  And that's what it came off to me.

EDIT: Also, if you're waiting for the "complete package" at QB than you're going to be waiting decades possibly.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Every year, we get the whole "next year's QBs are better" comments and almost everytime it turns out to be false.  Why is this year any different?

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I would agree the former is very true - every year the future class gets touted heavily.   And that’s to be treated with a lot of skepticism as a result.  

But I would point out when the future draft class as seen as really weak at the top - that has far more legitimacy.  And that’s what we are getting for 2019.   I don’t think there a guy in 2019 who even sniffs the top 3-4 this year.   Given where Eli is at saying we worry about it next year is a very iffy proposition.   And that’s before you get into whether or not the Gmen will be in position to make it to that level.  

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

None of these guys are “can’t miss@ prospects.

The last two last miss QB prospects were Andrew Luck and Matt Stafford.  If you're going to wait for a can't miss prospect, you're going to be waiting for a long time.  The last time we've had two can't miss prospects at quarterback in the same draft was never.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This is always the correct answer, regardless of where you pick. If someone offers you a ton of capital to move out of your pick, you move out if your pick (unless you have some elite/blue chip prospect at a position of need at your pick). 

The Giants DO have an elite/blue chip prospect in their sights with Barkley, but given the amount of compensation the Colts got for #3, the Giants can justify not taking Barkley, simply for the compensation they'll get for #2.

I said if they don’t like any of these QBs

I believe Rosen is worth the number 2pick and is basically as good as an option you could ask for as the second best QB in his class. 

4 hours ago, Gmen said:

He moves well in the pocket, but he's still a pocket passer.  Darnold, Allen, Mayfield have all shown more ability to get outside the pocket and make plays. 

Yeah I’m certainly not calling him a mobile qb, just that’s he’s not a statue and can take off and run if appropriate. 

5 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

This Rosen is a statue in the pocket needs to stop. He’s actually really good in the pocket. Watch his games rather than listening to talking heads. 

I look at his 2 concussions and a separated shoulder and I think it is more than talking heads!!!

16 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I look at his 2 concussions and a separated shoulder and I think it is more than talking heads!!!

What? People get concussed and injured in all different kinds of ways. I would rather a statue who can't legally be hit in the head then some guy who runs around and take unnecessary shots. 

I think one of the biggest disparities between whether or not the Giants should draft a QB is how close people think they are. I think people who don't want to draft a QB lean closer to the idea that the 2016 team is what this team really is as opposed to the 2017 team. I genuinely do not think this Giants team is good. I'm a Jets fan so I know a bad/mediocre team that overachieves in 1 season when I see one. I've held this position since Coughlin was fired. That 2016 fell into a soft schedule and get more wins than what their talent level, coaching, and execution really showed.

3 hours ago, Crickett said:

The last two last miss QB prospects were Andrew Luck and Matt Stafford.  If you're going to wait for a can't miss prospect, you're going to be waiting for a long time.  The last time we've had two can't miss prospects at quarterback in the same draft was never.

I mean, I wouldn't call Matthew Stafford a can't miss prospect.  At least not in comparison to Andrew Luck.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:39 PM, brownie man said:

I cant believe it’d be a serious option

J. McEnroe, former tennis star and current television pundit, reviews the Giants rumored drafting strategy:

i know i'm beating my own dead horse but the browns would be idiots to select not barkley first

nyg would do every other team in the draft a huge favour taking darnold at two - most especially the jets and the browns at four

smart move for the giants is see if cleveland piss all over themselves and take darnold and then get barkley, or if they can't, trade down for king's ransom

Archived