Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

When you find yourself with the second pick, that’s usually a pretty good indicator that you need a QB. Especially when your current starter is 37. And if you don’t like any of the QBs, you trade back. You can maybe argue that in another year, Barkley is worth the second overall pick, but not this year when you consider what the second pick is worth to a team that really likes one of the QBs.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

That’s really the problem tbh. It was dumb that even transitioning from Eli this year was a controversy. 

It's something I'll never understand. Eli literally hasn't been a guy that consistently got his team to the playoffs since the mid 00s. That's literally over a decade ago at this point.

The Jets over paid to move up to 3 after being turned down by Cleveland and Giants. That indicates they're staying at 2. 

They don't need a QB to start right away so I think Josh Allen makes complete sense at 2 for Giants with Jets taking Josh Rosen at 3.

Unlike most, Im not particularly high on the QBs at the top of this class.      Not saying there arent good ones, but no one I feel totally comfy drafting this early.

If I were the Giants, I would see what kind of offers I could get for 2.   If they can get 3 first round picks and a couple 2nd and 3rds, they need to jump on it hard.

If they think they can get by with Eli for another year or two, I would trade down and get some picks to fill other holes on the roster.  When you have the second overall pick, you probably have a lot of needs.  That pick is worth a lot, and they could probably get a bevy of picks from a QB needy team.

5 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Other than Lamar Jackson I don’t like any of these QBs. I think everyone should pass on QB

I think this is my main thought as well. Everyone says "If you can draft your franchise QB, do it..."

I'm not fully convinced that there's a franchise QB in this group. Darnold could develop into one, and I think he's drafted at 1. Rosen is a QB who makes a good situation great, but not a guy who makes a mess of a situation any better (think Ryan Tannehill). Allen is a ticking time bomb, all measurables and no tangible production (Blaine Gabbert, basically). I like Mayfield's style and moxie, but he's not a transformative player at QB - makes a good situation great, but can't help a bad situation. 

So, that's part of my rationale. The other part of it? Well, I also think passing on Saquan Barkley is going to be like passing on Randy Moss - it's only going to take a few games for people to say "Why the heck didn't somebody draft him earlier?" There's a significant difference between Barkley and guys like Guice, Michel, Nick Chubb, etc. Barkley is going to be a back in the same vein as a Bell, Gurley, Zeke - a true three down, franchise back who can log 25-35 touches a game and do significant damage with each touch. I can't say that about the rest of the class, and it's a very good class - some good runners in the mix, but only one GREAT runner.

I'll acknowledge those beliefs have a lot to do with my thoughts. If the was a QB that really gave me confidence as a franchise guy in this group, I'd probably say "go QB". If there wasn't a RB that gives me pause as a true game breaking back, I'd also probably say "go QB".

Trade down get alot of picks to refill the team with talent and take Lamaar Jackson at QB with the 1st pick you traded down to if it's in the teens.   I like Jackson better than most of the QB's in this draft anyways honestly.  I really hope NO doesn't take him in the 1st round :(

Well, there's another possibility for the Giants: bring back Geno Smith!

Some guy for the New York Daily News has written a long and passionate article promoting the unpopular theory that Geno Smith (besides giving consideration to the chance that the world may be flat) is a Franchise QB!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/dear-nfl-gms-3-reasons-geno-smith-great-fa-signing-article-1.3874086

Dear GMs:

Every time Geno has been given the smallest breadcrumbs of real support, he has demonstrated future hope – including the potential to be a franchise quarterback.

Dear GM’s, the video, statistical, and analytical evidence is there.

You just have to do your damn job.

- As noted, this is a lo-o-ong, article, so I will quote a couple of the more-tantalizing points for any readers not having a spare hour-and-a-half.

-The Giants are not apparently interested in Geno, and have let him explore the manifold free-agent possibilities out there; from the sound of it he is very unlikely to be back- and I confess I was never smitten with his charms myself- but the article certainly argues the Ol Busted Jaw is the answer, if not for the Giants, to one of the quarterback-starving teams in the league:

"

Dear GMs:

Isn’t it in your job description to project how a player might perform with better weapons? Luckily, Geno has left some clues behind.

Jeff Cumberland, Geno’s main tight end with the Jets, was actually ranked the No. 2 tight end in DVOA (Defense-Adjusted Value Over Average) by Football Outsiders in 2013. For some odd reason, the Jets drafted Jace Amaro, and changed Cumberland’s role.

Cumberland’s best season and best career game? They came with Geno.

Giants rookie Evan Engram played only one game with Geno last year and it was his best of the season (7 catches for 99 yards and 1 TD). That production did not come in 14 chances with Eli – it came with Geno."

Heroic photo of Geno Smith in Giants' Blue; not a big fan of Geno's myself, but somewhere, Peter Dinklage is smiling!

Image result for geno smithImage result for Peter Dinklage

Eli is 37, looked kind of bad last year (albeit on a really bad team), and may only have another year or two left.  

They have to go QB.  If the new guy sits a year or two, fine.  But they could bomb the next two years and pick #7 and #9 for they know.  You don't get the chance to pick at the top of the draft often (unless you're the Browns).

Archived