Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

I dont think it is prudent to look at it as a binary decision where they have to take a quarterback or shouldn't take a quarterback. That's not the way successful teams are run. If the Giants identify a guy or two as franchise QBs in the draft and one of them is available at 2, I think it would be dumb of them to pass on him, and I doubt they would pass. Theres more to a pick than a position though. Picking the wrong QB is probably the worst thing the Giants can do in this draft. 

I see 1 guy I'm comfortable with being the face of my franchise in Darnold. Rosen is a maybe. Other than that, I don't like any of these guys enough to take at 2, definitely not over guys like Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb. Darnold is going #1, so it is going to come down to Rosen vs those other guys. And I wouldn't be surprised or think the Giants are dumb for going with one of the other guys. Gettleman has said it multiple times now, but with the #2 pick, he is looking for a guy he can see in a gold jacket. I think that is a good mindset. 

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I dont think it is prudent to look at it as a binary decision where they have to take a quarterback or shouldn't take a quarterback. That's not the way successful teams are run. If the Giants identify a guy or two as franchise QBs in the draft and one of them is available at 2, I think it would be dumb of them to pass on him, and I doubt they would pass. Theres more to a pick than a position though. Picking the wrong QB is probably the worst thing the Giants can do in this draft. 

I see 1 guy I'm comfortable with being the face of my franchise in Darnold. Rosen is a maybe. Other than that, I don't like any of these guys enough to take at 2, definitely not over guys like Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb. Darnold is going #1, so it is going to come down to Rosen vs those other guys. And I wouldn't be surprised or think the Giants are dumb for going with one of the other guys. Gettleman has said it multiple times now, but with the #2 pick, he is looking for a guy he can see in a gold jacket. I think that is a good mindset. 

The Giants won their two most recent Super Bowls by making a trade at number 2 for the number one overall QB. That’s exactly how successful organizations are run. Their other two were won by using the 2nd pick to draft the greatest defensive player.

So actually anecdotally the Giants have historically won Super Bowls off the number 2 pick 

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The Giants won their two most recent Super Bowls by making a trade at number 2 for the number one overall QB. That’s exactly how successful organizations are run. Their other two were won by using the 2nd pick to draft the greatest defensive player.

So actually anecdotally the Giants have historically won Super Bowls off the number 2 pick 

Eli was pick #1 by the Chargers and the Giants originally held pick #4 in 2004. Not sure where #2 came from.

I think the giants should take a quarterback, but Barkley is awfully tempting.  As someone put it, he is what comes out of the “make a player” feature in madden.  Big, fast, strong, can catch out of backfield.  Can change the game in one play.  He’s almost a lock to be a top 5 back in this league.  Put him on the field with a top 5 wr in OBJ, add in a dynamic Evan engram, and Eli might start looking younger.  Plus he should have more time to throw with Solder at LT.  Bottom line -  I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to Barkley.  Here is my big board

1. Sam Darnold 

2a. Saquon Barkley

2b. Josh Allen

3. Trade down with the Broncos or Bills

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

I think the giants should take a quarterback, but Barkley is awfully tempting.  As someone put it, he is what comes out of the “make a player” feature in madden.  Big, fast, strong, can catch out of backfield.  Can change the game in one play.  He’s almost a lock to be a top 5 back in this league.  Put him on the field with a top 5 wr in OBJ, add in a dynamic Evan engram, and Eli might start looking younger.  Plus he should have more time to throw with Solder at LT.  Bottom line -  I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to Barkley.  Here is my big board

1. Sam Darnold 

2a. Saquon Barkley

2b. Josh Allen

3. Trade down with the Broncos or Bills

I’d put Rosen over Allen. Allen is high risk, high reward. His ceiling is Brett Favre but I could see him being Jay Cutler or even a complete bust. 

Darnold and Rosen are above Barkley for me unless you have an elite QB

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

same mindset that got us to 3 first round picks last year, none of them being a qb, ending up with the worst rookie in the history of the NFL and a 0-16 season.

9 minutes ago, mistakey said:

same mindset that got us to 3 first round picks last year, none of them being a qb, ending up with the worst rookie in the history of the NFL and a 0-16 season.

Maybe I'm simply being obtuse, but wasn't last season part of the plan? Building the foundation for future success, at the expense of this season?

I've said it several times before - so much of what the Browns are doing is akin to the Astros did in 2011 - just dig till you see daylight. Different sports, I get it, but there are so many things that line up...

56 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Maybe I'm simply being obtuse, but wasn't last season part of the plan? Building the foundation for future success, at the expense of this season?

I've said it several times before - so much of what the Browns are doing is akin to the Astros did in 2011 - just dig till you see daylight. Different sports, I get it, but there are so many things that line up...

they missed out on mahomes by 1 pick thanks to ironically (i think its irony? not sure) john dorsey who traded up.

they didnt reach on a QB (trubisky)
and they didnt take the QB they werent 100% comfortable with (watson)

seems #2 didnt work out so well for us.  went for the "gold jacket".  or jabrill peppers and #4 overall this year.

and it got us 0 wins.

1 minute ago, Shady Slim said:

boy do i love loaded questions

i guarantee you if you worded it "select barkley to go with their two time super bowl winning QB" option two would have more votes

whats loaded about a 38 year old who got benched last year and also had one of the worst seasons of his career?

Rodgers backed up Favre for 3 years

got them a superbowl

I bet the Giants would win a Super Bowl with the QB they’d select at 2 before they’d win one with Eli if they went Barkley or Nelson

passing on a QB at 2 would be the worst decision I’ve seen a franchise make in a long time 

would definitely be the worst move of this offseason at least 

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

whats loaded about a 38 year old who got benched last year and also had one of the worst seasons of his career?

u can not seriously look me in the eye and tell me the thread title and question and poll options aren't loaded for readers to agree with the op lmao

1 minute ago, Shady Slim said:

u can not seriously look me in the eye and tell me the thread title and question and poll options aren't loaded for readers to agree with the op lmao

honestly, being a cleveland fan living in NY and interacting with NY giants fans on a regular basis, i hope to god they select saquon barkley.  next year when they're picking like 5 overall and they have to spend multiple first round picks to get the QB they want instead of josh rosen or sam darnold, i will have no qualms laughing in their face.  the faith in davis webb is almost cleveland-browns-fan circa 2002-2014 like.

Archived