Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

14 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

... unless? I thought the whole point of drafting a QB at 2 was BECAUSE he was going to bomb. Which is it? Because if you draft Barkley or Nelson and the Giants then go 10-6, that's a pretty successful turnaround. Nobody will be wringing their hands saying "Oh, we had a winning season, but WE MISSED OUT ON ROSEN!"

And if Eli bombs - fire up the scouting tape on Drew Lock, Nick Fitzgerald or Kelly Bryant (Lock is probably going to go down as a better prospect than Rosen anyways). At least if they bomb, you know that Lock/Fitzgerald/Bryant is going to walk into a choice situation.

(All of the above is contingent that the Giants don't maneuver to draft Lamar Jackson, of course. I don't know why you're assuming that's not on the table with 2.2 as well as picks in 2019).

Agreed.

I wouldn't bash the Giants if they passed on a QB and give it one more go around with Eli. If he is bad again, you are going to be picking top 5 anyway and then you can get your next franchise QB. 

16 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Agreed.

I wouldn't bash the Giants if they passed on a QB and give it one more go around with Eli. If he is bad again, you are going to be picking top 5 anyway and then you can get your next franchise QB. 

2013 NFL draft 

You can't assume theres gonna be a franchise QB or that you'll be in the position to get him 

If your picking 3rd in 2016 your not getting Goff or Wentz 

how can you just assume you'll be in a position to get one?

Now you gotta trade up IF the teams above you wanna trade down 

its just an all out bad move 

If the Jets gave up all they did just to secure the 3rd guy I think the flavor is that theres at least 2 potential franchise QBs in this draft

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

2013 NFL draft 

You can't assume theres gonna be a franchise QB or that you'll be in the position to get him 

If the Jets gave up all they did just to secure the 3rd guy I think the flavor is that theres at least 2 potential franchise QBs in this draft

Then you give Davis Webb a shot. 

On 19/03/2018 at 8:12 PM, Iamcanadian said:

It is the 'Golden Rule' for me!!! 'When you get an opportunity to draft a franchise QB, you grab it, because, you never know when the next opportunity will come along'!!!

If I am the Giants, I am not prepared to believe a 37 year old QB has a much longer career. He could retire at any time and leave ther franchise high and dry!

This is a great rule IF there is a prospect you deem to be a future franchise QB there. Now, in this draft there may well be at least 1 potential franchise QB but of course it's far from a certainty in any draft and if they don't like any of the top guys they'd be mad not to trade down with a QB needy team. Of course one of the top QBs will probably be gone to the Browns at No. 1 and most are probably anticipating that will be Darnold - which leaves prospects with question marks.

Personally, the QB I like the most is Mayfield and feel they should take him. But if they don't love the prospects trade down!

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Then you give Davis Webb a shot. 

Or you wait to see if there will be any free agents hitting the market - I mean, we had a pretty active FA and trade market this past off-season, specifically at QB. 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

2013 NFL draft 

I wouldn't trust anything the Jets say/do when it comes to evaluating QBs.

If the Giants don't feel like any of these guys are blue-chip prospects, then they should pass on them and take the best player on their board. Taking a QB high just because you are picking high is dumb if you think the QB's aren't any good.

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

If the Jets gave up all they did just to secure the 3rd guy I think the flavor is that theures at least 2 potential franchise QBs in this draft

Oh, well that's it. Nevermind they've done this before and ended up with ...Mark Sanchez. 

Nailed it, amiright?

2 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

What coach is going to stake his fate on a third rounder he didn't draft?

It’s not staking your fate. It’s giving him a shot and trusting your evaluation. He was drafted under previous regime with the intention for him to grow into the role. It’s doing your due diligence. It’s all about what they see in Webb.

3 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Taking a QB high just because you are picking high is dumb if you think the QB's aren't any good.

Bingo. This leads teams picking guys like Jake Locker ahead of Tyron Smith, picking guys like Blaine Gabbert ahead of JJ Watt. Sure, Titans and Jags needed a QB, but look at what they passed on because they forced a QB into that spot.

9 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Bingo. This leads teams picking guys like Jake Locker ahead of Tyron Smith, picking guys like Blaine Gabbert ahead of JJ Watt. Sure, Titans and Jags needed a QB, but look at what they passed on because they forced a QB into that spot.

Yup.

You have trust your grades/board. 

The worst thing you can do as a GM is to trick yourself into thinking that a prospect is better then he actually is due to positional need.  

15 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Yup.

You have trust your grades/board. 

The worst thing you can do as a GM is to trick yourself into thinking that a prospect is better then he actually is due to positional need.  

24 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I agree

but Josh Rosen is on a different level from those guys just look at the general grades from everyone out there 

Gabbert and Locker were picked outside the top 8

Rosen isn't getting out the top 3

I go by the evaulations thats out there and the tape

but if you dont think any of the remaining 3 after Darnold arent any good then yes pass, but at least one is 

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

but if you dont think any of the remaining 3 after Darnold arent any good then yes pass, but at least one is

I'm convinced the one that IS good is being slept on. I'm firmly of the belief that Lamar Jackson is going to be the type of player that can carry a team of it comes down to it. He's got some things he needs to work on, which is why you can go with Eli for a year, with either a dependency on a dynamic run game (Barkley) or a revamped OL (Nelson). 2019, door opens up for a refined Jackson, with either Nelson anchoring the inside or Barkley presenting a great run option (Jackson and Barkley on the RPO, with Beckham running the flag and Engram down the seam? Are you kidding me?)

Now, I like Rosen - in the right situation. I don't think either NY is that situation.

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm convinced the one that IS good is being slept on. I'm firmly of the belief that Lamar Jackson is going to be the type of player that can carry a team of it comes down to it.

Based on my highly-professional YouTube scouting, I tentatively think he may do better long-run than either Mayfield or Allen. Someone will pull the trigger before he gets to the 20s, I think.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Based on my highly-professional YouTube scouting, I tentatively think he may do better long-run than either Mayfield or Allen. Someone will pull the trigger before he gets to the 20s, I think.

I could see Miami at 11 as a possibility in all honesty.

I could also see:

Buffalo: LONG SHOT, but it's possible

Arizona

Baltimore

...if he gets to the late 20s, I could see New Orleans or New England as possible landing spots.

Archived