Can the Giants seriously pass on a QB at 2??!!

brownie man

What will the Giants end up doing?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Giants do?

• Stay at 2 and select their young Franchise QB
    • Stay at 2 and draft Barkley or Nelson to go along with their 37 year old declining QB
    • Trade down and fill holes and build for the future while filling the needs of the present

23 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Per Jordan Raanan, "the only QB the Giants would take is Darnold, unless Gettleman disregards his scouts". Do you think there is any chance the Browns move out of #1 and back to #2 for the Giants to draft Darnold? Thats the only scenario in which I see the Giants drafting a QB. That or if the Browns go full Browns and draft Allen or someone else at 1. 

g3vOb.gif

Don't you dare

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Why are some people acting like taking a QB at 2 guarantees the Giants a franchise QB? 

I mean, could it happen?  Obviously, yes.....but none of these QBs are slam dunk prospects by any means.

Now, Im not saying they should definitely pass on a QB.  If there is one they feel especially high on, then by all means, draft them.

However, if they arent notably high on any of the available QBs and you have a team like Buffalo saying "Hey, we'll give you a our 2 first rounders and 2nd rounder this year and our 1st and 2nd rounder in 2019".....I jump on that if Im the Giants, and I dont think twice. 

Everyone is going to have their different viewpoints on this, and thats perfectly fine.   However, some people are acting like the Giants should just draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB because they have a high pick need a future replacement for Eli.....without considering absolutely everything.  

Sorry, but thats not how good GMs draft.

Bottom line....if its someone they strongly feel can be the future of their franchise....sure, draft them.     But its silly to say it doesnt make sense for the Giants to pass on a QB, especially if they have a huge trade proposal staring them in the face and arent really high on any of the QBs.  

Remember when the Texans has some of the best defenses in football, a strong WR Corp and a good enough offensive line, but there QB was trash?

It took a good deal of teams underselling Watson for them (not as stacked as they were in recent years) to get their QB and look like a threat. 

The reality is if you think you need a QB, now is the time to get him. Maybe you do a good job of rebuilding, but by that point you’ll be in purgatory and every QB that comes your way in the draft will be 4th or 5th best and a reach and free agency won’t be the answer either. The Giants will always be able to build. They might not get a top QB prospect again

Giants passing on a rookie QB to go 6-10 with Eli just seems like a bad idea because they don't have 5 all-pros on the offensive line right now. They do that and end up with #10 draft pick and then either have to pray someone falls or trade up to get a guy.

Just now, minutemancl said:

a3b2e4_fa81ce941422464d8eac12d7e54836d1~

Looks pretty good, doesn't it?

I'm a HUGE Darnold fan, but if you told me that we drafted Rosen and that he was completely healthy, I'd like that just fine.

I'd prefer Sam though...but I won't break my television like I would with Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'm a HUGE Darnold fan, but if you told me that we drafted Rosen and that he was completely healthy, I'd like that just fine.

I'd prefer Sam though...but I won't break my television like I would with Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

This is so cute. It’s like watching all the Browns fans excited that their parents are going to get them that gift they always wanted for Christmas and they JUST KNOW they are getting it. 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

This is so cute. It’s like watching all the Browns fans excited that their parents are going to get them that gift they always wanted for Christmas and they JUST KNOW they are getting it. 

*Public Service Announcement*

Apparently if you're ignoring a user but they quote you, you still get an alert unless you check the "quote" box next to that user.

If you haven't fixed this yet, learn from my mistake and do so now.

Supports what I've been saying. Take the best player on your board at 2, or trade out and get ridiculous compensation. The way it is panning out, it looks like the Giants will not be taking a QB at 2, as they shouldn't, as they don't see Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield as a franchise QB. 

Unless this is all a smokescreen. 

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Public Service Announcement*

Apparently if you're ignoring a user but they quote you, you still get an alert unless you check the "quote" box next to that user.

If you haven't fixed this yet, learn from my mistake and do so now.

Don’t be salty 

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, again...you were literally suggesting that you can't fairly estimate the odds of success of various QBs without seeing the situation of their respective landing spot.  THAT...is the point.

Which is also the justification for the Giants potentially passing on a QB at #2.  ie.  Building themselves into a substantially better landing spot for a QB they eventually do fall in love with, developmental or not.

I think you misunderstood my post. 

Yes, destinations change how a quarterback develops, but that has less to do with the talent and more to do with the coaching IMO (not that the former lacks any importance at all). 

I think the Browns are a lousy spot for Allen or Jackson because Hue has shown to do so little for his young quarterbacks. Not because the Browns lack talent, they actually have some of that, but because the imaginary quarterback won’t likely won’t receive the tools they may need. I don’t know if Shurmur is the guy to groom a young QB, but if you’re Gettlemen it makes more sense to take a QB you like now than it does to not get one for multiple years. 

The theory that you should build your team despite a franchise QB staring you in the face is the same one that has Cleveland sitting where they are now.

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

Remember when the Texans has some of the best defenses in football, a strong WR Corp and a good enough offensive line, but there QB was trash?

It took a good deal of teams underselling Watson for them (not as stacked as they were in recent years) to get their QB and look like a threat. 

The reality is if you think you need a QB, now is the time to get him. Maybe you do a good job of rebuilding, but by that point you’ll be in purgatory and every QB that comes your way in the draft will be 4th or 5th best and a reach and free agency won’t be the answer either. The Giants will always be able to build. They might not get a top QB prospect again

I get all that, but it kind of ignores the point that I was making.

Let me put it this way... If you were the GM for the Giants, and you weren't particularly high on any of the quarterbacks, you're saying that you would draft a quarterback you're not that high on instead of taking potentially three first-round picks and two second round picks? 

I'm not saying they should pass on a quarterback that they feel can be a franchise QB. I'm saying that if they aren't super high on any of the quarterbacks in the top five and Buffalo is making them huge offer to trade down, they should absolutely take it. They could potentially trade down from 2, and then trade back up to 5 or so and get a quarterback. Or hell, they could probably stay where they are and land Lamar Jackson if they were high on him.

Just got done thinking about this 

NY should really trade down 

if you dont like these QBs trade down to Buffalo dont pick at 2

your moving to a 34 Chubb isnt a great fit

move to 12 and get a Harold Landry or a Marcus Davenport to play OLB and then instead of Nelson get a Billy Price, Isaiah Wynn, or Will Hernandez at 22 pick up some more picks then go RB in the 2nd like Sony Michel and you can go Oline again

then in 2019 depending how the season goes youve got 2 first round picks to move up and get your guy 

but, apparently, Gettleman has never traded down ever

I think thats stupid 

4 hours ago, Malik said:

Giants passing on a rookie QB to go 6-10 with Eli just seems like a bad idea because they don't have 5 all-pros on the offensive line right now. They do that and end up with #10 draft pick and then either have to pray someone falls or trade up to get a guy.

If we go 6-10, then it’s no worse that what we’d do with a rookie. Yes I know we aren’t drafting the rookie for one year. But there are a number of holes and on this team that need addressing that any QBs impact on the game will be lessened. So what’s the point? We don’t need 5 all pros. We need some semblance of protection. Just average is good enough.

If the Giants pass on a QB, there's no guarantee that they'll be back in this position again.

Draft Rosen and then blow the whole thing up the following year. Trade down and acquire things to put around the QB. Let Eli take the beatdown this year behind that OL and then bolster it through FA/the draft for Rosen in the future.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Supports what I've been saying. Take the best player on your board at 2, or trade out and get ridiculous compensation. The way it is panning out, it looks like the Giants will not be taking a QB at 2, as they shouldn't, as they don't see Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield as a franchise QB. 

Unless this is all a smokescreen. 

Just gonna leave this here...

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/26/new-york-giants-will-run-disinformation-campaign-prevent-leaks-2018/

Archived