Defensive Mock Drafts

Money

1st round, 28th overall - Taven Bryan DT FLORIDA

This guy has all the tools. They call him the JJ Watt. I would pump the breaks there but he is your classic 3-tech that blows up plays. In terms of scheme fit, I would immediately switch to a 4-3 until the return of Ryan Shazier. How much do you play a base defense nowadays anyway? You're sitting in the 4-2-5 most of the game. I thought I heard it was something like more than 50% nickel defense. You can kick Tuitt to LE and I don't think any of the OLB's on the roster can get pressure consistently on the QB without help from the blitz. Heyward and Bryan would get pressure right in the QBs face, which is what you want to do to a pocket passer like Brady. You also want the edge pressure as well, but the worst thing for a QB is to get right up in his face from the middle of the defense. Because he has nowhere to move.

2nd round, 60th overall - Josh Sweat EDGE FLORIDA STATE

They say there is some concern over a knee. A serious knee injury in High School and a meniscus in 2016. It would seem looking at his workout that this is behind him. In terms of on-field production, this guy is a Clowney type player. He explodes off the ball (10y split time confirms) and has some good bend and flexibility. He has freakishly long arms which is good because you can get your arms on him before he gets his arms on you. When he learns some of the nuances in his craft he can learn to slap the OL arms away with his long arms and bend around and use his speed to get to the QB. He's getting by with pure athleticism at this point. A little gem that right now is better than most of the guys we've drafted at this position but a little polish and he can become a star.

He's better with his hand in the dirt. Leaning forward ready to explode off the ball. 

3rd round, 90th overall - Deshon Elliott S TEXAS

Fast, playmaking, hard-hitting safety. 6 INT's this year so he was the most productive in that Texas defense. I try to figure out who is the one making the plays on these defenses. You see a good defense and four guys go 1st round and then none of them have star studded careers. That's because it was more of a collective effort of having good players and no real standouts. Texas wasn't very good on defense but this was one of the standouts

5th round, SF - Kalen Ballage RB ARIZONA STATE

When I think about taking a RB here or taking an interesting prospect I think I get more value in the possible HR. How much is a 5th rd RB really adding to the team? How much did James Conner add to the team? They resigned Touissant, which means they will probably go with Bell, Conner, Touissant. However, I think this gives the team a little more depth and a potential star RB. What did I say last time a little bit of Leonard Fournette. Obviously, he's not that good. He doesn't have good vision. But he carries defenders and can outrun DBs. 6'1" 230 and runs a 4.46. 

5th round, PIT - Ade Aruna EDGE TULANE

When I think about double dipping here I'm looking for a home run. This guy is your Ziggy Ansah type player. From Nigeria. 6'4 1/2" 265. Long arms. Great 10 yard split. 18 reps. Which I think is pretty good for 34" arms. Obviously, a little more time in the weight room and he can settle in around 25 reps. He has explosion in his legs and speed. 38.5" vertical and the best broad jump as well at almost 11 feet. This is a developmental prospect, but given the upside in physical tools I'll take that shot all damn day. This is not Jarvis Jones.

I'm not saying this is good tape. But I found him standing up more as an OLB in this one so I think that's the best way to use his tools. He's much more rangier that way. Adds a 3-4 OLB. Sweat is more of a 4-3 DE and I now have a lot of LBs to find that right blend and can switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 and back again because I have the personnel to make it work.

7th round, NYG - Oren Burks LB VANDERBILT

This is a converted safety. 6'3" 233 with 33 1/8" arms. Pretty freakish across the board. With ILB's I'll go with the short shuttle as that replicates side to side movement. 4.15 is your elite level benchmark in this area. Your elite CBs will got about 3.9. 39.5" vertical and a 131" broad jump, which is almost 13 feet. He must've almost jumped off the designated area. So, I guess he can fly. 4.59 forty so he can track and cover. When I watched him he seemed out of place diagnosing and they confirmed that in his report. He's just played this position for a year, but he got better as the season went on. They also say he can play the WILL 4-3 LB or ILB in a 3-4. What I'm looking at here is a sub-package player that can cover, fly around, make plays, and help on special teams. They also say he is a leader on and off the field. 

He looks pretty bad for a lot of this but this was in the beginning of the year. The play he will be used for is a 1 minute. That's his role in the NFL. Man coverage on the RB and he can use his speed to blanket him

7th round -  Johnny Townsend P FLORIDA

I'm not retyping the punter's stats. But should be an upgrade over Berry. Plus, he'll be over $1m cheaper.

Option 2 

1st round, 28th overall - Harold Landry DE BOSTON COLLEGE

EDGE rusher is actually the number one need on this team. We don't have an elite pass rusher at OLB. Dupree is too bulky and can't bend and Watt is not fast enough or strong enough. When you add the injury to Shazier and the fact teams run a nickel for over 50% of the plays, an EDGE rusher is actually the number one need, when a better pass rush means you can get away with less in the secondary. Dupree is also an impending UFA when they decline his option. Watt is actually the perfect strongside LB in a 4-3 covering the TE. As he is a former TE. He can also drop in the zone like or rush the passer where he can build up more speed and do a move. He doesn't have the explosion to be effective as a DE rusher in sub or a 4-3. His rush skills will be made better when he's the fifth man rushing where he can use his agility to give the tackle problems.

Landry with a 1.59 10y split and an ability to dip, bend, and contort his body will give tackles problems at the next level. Highly productive Junior year where he led the NCAA in sacks. Probably a little complacent this year and put it in cruise control this year. Here's someone that can get 10+ sacks a year and more likely to be in that 12-15 range.

Hand in the dirt guy.

2nd round, 60th overall - Dallas Goedert TE SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Another weapon for Ben and really gives us a nice blend at tight end. A luxury pick but someone that could really turn into a special player. I'm thinking like a Travis Kelce type player here. A Pro Bowl caliber TE could really be the last piece for the offense. 6'4" 260 pound TE that's extremely athletic and just shrugs off defenders like they were the little brother. Get off me. 

3rd round, 92 overall - Andre Smith or Genard Avery ILB

If you think this is a big time need it can be filled here. Smith is Pro Bowl caliber. Andre Smith is probably my favorite player this draft. And Avery is nasty but not as instinctive. He's more like a combine warrior than Smith who is on-field production that translates to the NFL

5th round, SF - Deshon Elliot S TEXAS

5th round, PIT - Kalen Ballage RB ARIZONA STATE

7th round - Quadree Henderson WR PITT

7th round - Johnny Townsend P FLORIDA

ON ILB NEED

First of all, the best way to cure short-term ILB problems is to just take it out of the picture. You now have Vince Williams and Jon Bostic as 3-4 ILB options or probably Bostic as the mike in a 4-3 for the first two downs. You really just need to get an ILB that can cover for sub package situations. This position has been devalued so what does Rashaan Evans do for you in round one. You can find players like him in later rounds. He's not CJ Mosley. This need is really on par with RB.

ON S NEED

JJ Wilcox is insurance for the time being. If I get more pressure on the QB, I can get away with Wilcox there. Obviously, I'd like to upgrade this position. Unless Justin Reid is there at #28 I would improve the pass rush and take safety later in the draft. 

ON OLB NEED

As stated above, this is the number one need. EDGE rusher is actually the number one need on this team. We don't have an elite pass rusher at OLB. Dupree is too bulky and can't bend and Watt is not fast enough or strong enough. When you add the injury to Shazier and the fact teams run a nickel for over 50% of the plays, an EDGE rusher is actually the number one need, when a better pass rush means you can get away with less in the secondary. Dupree is also an impending UFA when they decline his option. Watt is actually the perfect strongside LB in a 4-3 covering the TE. As he is a former TE. He can also drop in the zone like or rush the passer where he can build up more speed and do a move. He doesn't have the explosion to be effective as a DE rusher in sub or a 4-3. His rush skills will be made better when he's the fifth man rushing where he can use his agility to give the tackle problems.

BUD DUPREE

When I look at this guy, he is not effective as a 3-4 OLB. Nor as a 4-3 DE. I don't think he is a bust. He still has freakish tools. He still runs a 4.5 at 6'4" 269 pounds. My plan with him would be for him to drop 20 pounds and get faster and more agile. He can't bend and the OT gets leverage on him and just pushes down on him and he's strong so he doesn't fall to the ground but it's a stalemate. And thats's not gonna cut it at OLB. If he gets faster and more agile at just say 6'4" 250 pounds he might be more effective. I'd like to see what he can do as a 3-4 OLB with a little more bend and flexibility, possibly as a 4-3 OLB where he has more space to use his speed and make a move, and maybe even as a 3-4 ILB if he considerably improves his side to side quickness. I don't think he has found his position yet in the NFL. 

Archived