Mike Pouncey signs with the Chargers 2 year deal

49erurtaza

27 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don't see it being safety.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but Telesco simply doesn't value the position and hasn't shown any evidence of it.  More likely, they're trying to re-sign Tre Boston and if that fails they'll probably roll with some combination of Rayshawn Jenkins (they've already been listing him as a FS), moving Desmond King, or signing another journeyman to a 1-2 deal and drafting a guy on Day 3.

Wasn't Desmond King vocally opposed to moving to safety?  I thought that was one of the reasons he fell in the draft.

I'm fairly confident it's going to be LB.  IMO, we're going to do what we did at OG with LB's this year.  I think we double up (I'm willing to bet that we give heavy consideration to Oren Burks or Matthew Thomas at Will LB around the 5th).

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Bear in mind, one of the perceived "needs" will be flat out ignored in free agency because Telesco will have decided that that's where he's committing his 1st round pick.  It's a (bad) habit of his.

I honestly didn't expect the Bosa or the MW pick when they happened.

39 minutes ago, Neutral2 said:

Wasn't Desmond King vocally opposed to moving to safety?  I thought that was one of the reasons he fell in the draft.

Wouldn't surprise me.  Technically they still line him up there, it's just as the third-safety when they go Cover-3.

Like I said, I figure that priority is 1) Re-sign Boston at a number they're comfortable with, 2) Roll out Jenkins, 3) Sign another journeyman similar to Boston, 4) Try and talk King into a position move, 5) Draft someone.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What kind of protection if 10M is guaranteed 

Guaranteed money in the NFL doesn't always mean guaranteed. One of Mike Florio's few good traits is that he knows how to do break down a contract. I'd like to see how this contract is done.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  Technically they still line him up there, it's just as the third-safety when they go Cover-3.

Like I said, I figure that priority is 1) Re-sign Boston at a number they're comfortable with, 2) Roll out Jenkins, 3) Sign another journeyman similar to Boston, 4) Try and talk King into a position move, 5) Draft someone.

Does King really have the speed to play centerfield as a FS? I have my doubts. He excels in his current role, and I don't think we need to fix what isn't broken.

When you say sign another journeymen similar to Boston I'm not sure if you mean another FS or a journeyman at another position of need in general. If we are going to resign Boston I'd much rather try to get someone at DT or LB instead of another safety on top of that.

Time will tell, but everyone hated the Okung signing last year too.  Washed up, can't stay healthy, graded out poorly blah blah blah.  I think Russell turned in a pretty solid year last year.  Doesn't mean the same will happen with Pouncey but I'll trust the front office and medical staff.  

Lynn has been on record as saying he prefers addressing the lines in free agency as opposed to the draft.  The reference was to the physicality on the lines and that in essence 20 -21 year olds aren't the same animals as grown men.  So this doesn't surprise me,  but I agree with the sentiment that it would be wise to draft someone to groom.  

For the record, I'd be shocked at this point if we didn't go LB in the first. The free agent LB class is fairly underwhelming.  I also think for that reason those backers Edmunds/Smith/Vander Esch/Evans are gonna go earlier than people expect. I think they're all gone in the top 20

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

I don't see it being safety.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but Telesco simply doesn't value the position and hasn't shown any evidence of it.  More likely, they're trying to re-sign Tre Boston and if that fails they'll probably roll with some combination of Rayshawn Jenkins (they've already been listing him as a FS), moving Desmond King, or signing another journeyman to a 1-2 deal and drafting a guy on Day 3.

Honestly, I think "improving the run-defense" is earmarked for the 1st round pick; it's just a matter of whether that's a DT or a LB (and that may be determined by who is available).

You forget that Adrian Phillips can also play FS. If we do get a linebacker, it may allow Adrian to stick soley to being a safety.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

You forget that Adrian Phillips can also play FS. If we do get a linebacker, it may allow Adrian to stick soley to being a safety.

I don't forget, I just remember that Adrian Phillips doesn't exactly... tackle... um, what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah... well.

11 hours ago, Xenos said:

Guaranteed money in the NFL doesn't always mean guaranteed. One of Mike Florio's few good traits is that he knows how to do break down a contract. I'd like to see how this contract is done.

Ive often wondered about this. Several fans say their GMs know how to break down contracts to the point where it seems like everyone should have this figured out by now. I know our fan base has said it

Archived