Mike Pouncey signs with the Chargers 2 year deal

49erurtaza

18 hours ago, The LBC said:

I don't see it being safety.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but Telesco simply doesn't value the position and hasn't shown any evidence of it.  More likely, they're trying to re-sign Tre Boston and if that fails they'll probably roll with some combination of Rayshawn Jenkins (they've already been listing him as a FS), moving Desmond King, or signing another journeyman to a 1-2 deal and drafting a guy on Day 3.

Honestly, I think "improving the run-defense" is earmarked for the 1st round pick; it's just a matter of whether that's a DT or a LB (and that may be determined by who is available).

Yup, they signed Boston in June last year for cheap. The entire Weddle saga pretty much tells you what TT thinks about the value of safeties. Anyway, I am 90% certain that the first round pick will be a LB. Rookie DT tend to have a longer learning curve then LBs and I think TT is thinking more about today then he is tomorrow with this draft. 

I honestly didn't expect the Bosa or the MW pick when they happened.

I didn't expect Bosa to be the pick, but I was fairly confident that they were taking a difference maker on defense in the first round that year. As for Williams,  I didn't think they would take him till Kyle Posey on BFTB kept dropping hints and then listening to TT talk about the primary issues on the 2016 team. Then when you factor in Keenan's injury history, the pick was fairly predictable.

17 hours ago, The LBC said:

I don't forget, I just remember that Adrian Phillips doesn't exactly... tackle... um, what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah... well.

Well, it's not like Boston is any better in that regards. And apparently Bradley trusts Phillips ability to tackle more than a linebacker like Brown.

11 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Mike Pouncey going to the ChargIRs with his injury history? He'll fit right in.

But on a serious note, IF he can stay healthy (and that's a big if), Gordon is primed for a monster year.

Well, it seems that we were lucky last year then. Hopefully whatever new training they did last offseason continues its magic this year.

6 hours ago, game3525 said:

Yup, they signed Boston in June last year for cheap. The entire Weddle saga pretty much tells you what TT thinks about the value of safeties. Anyway, I am 90% certain that the first round pick will be a LB. Rookie DT tend to have a longer learning curve then LBs and I think TT is thinking more about today then he is tomorrow with this draft. 

I didn't expect Bosa to be the pick, but I was fairly confident that they were taking a difference maker on defense in the first round that year. As for Williams,  I didn't think they would take him till Kyle Posey on BFTB kept dropping hints and then listening to TT talk about the primary issues on the 2016 team. Then when you factor in Keenan's injury history, the pick was fairly predictable.

The Weddle saga doesn't exactly tell you what TT thinks of safeties IMO. I'm sure Weddle would be a Charger if he had just kept his big mouth closed.

As for MW being predictable, I guess. It seemed like they were almost locked in on Garrett Bolles until all his red flags showed up. And I wonder what would have happened if Jamal Adams hadn't been picked right before us.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

The Weddle saga doesn't exactly tell you what TT thinks of safeties IMO. I'm sure Weddle would be a Charger if he had just kept his big mouth closed.

As for MW being predictable, I guess. It seemed like they were almost locked in on Garrett Bolles until all his red flags showed up. And I wonder what would have happened if Jamal Adams hadn't been picked right before us.

If Jamal Adams hadn't been picked right in front of you guys, he probably would have been picked right after you guys.  The Bolles rumor I can buy (though that likely would have meant that one of Lamp or Feeney wouldn't have been selected in the subsequent rounds; so... bullet dodged) because the theme of last year's 1st round for Telesco (and he basically spelled it out in the first presser he gave during Draft Weekend) was improving the team's red-zone performance.  Which really does make it ironic that while the team's red zone efficiency in terms of TD's/trip improved, they were undone but for better kicking (which would have really spiked the efficiency score).

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Disagree, Weddle was never in the Chargers long-term plans after 2015. Remember, Weddle only started talking after the Chargers shutdown contracts talk right before the season. Even if Weddle kept his mouth shut, they still would have let him go. Telesco was never going to commit a long-term contract to 30+ year old safety. 

If I remember correctly, Williams was always going to be the pick at seven. Bolles and Lamp were who they are targeting if they were able to trade down. It is a mute point anyway, they should have just taking Lattimore at 7.:P

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

Disagree, Weddle was never in the Chargers long-term plans after 2015. Remember, Weddle only started talking after the Chargers shutdown contracts talk right before the season. Even if Weddle kept his mouth shut, they still would have let him go. Telesco was never going to commit a long-term contract to 30+ year old safety. 

If I remember correctly, Williams was always going to be the pick at seven. Bolles and Lamp were who they are targeting if they were able to trade down. It is a mute point anyway, they should have just taking Lattimore at 7.:P

I disagreed. Weddle started getting upset when Flowers and Dunlap got contracts first. If he had just kept his mouth shut like professional (Gates being a great example of someone who learned this fact), he would have stayed a Charger.

Lattimore would have been nice given what happened Verrett. I am glad that Trevor Williams stepped up as CB2 though.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:55 PM, Xenos said:

As always take PFF with a grain with a salt, but I didn't realize that Pouncey graded out so well in pass protection.

The more curious thing is that was a major departure from how he usually graded out: PFF had him as a better run blocker than pass blocker annually until last year.

Archived