Should The Commish Punish This Behavior In A Dynasty League?

the lone star

Should The Commish Punish This Behavior In A Dynasty League?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Commish Punish This Behavior In A Dynasty League?

• No. Just create new rules for next year so that it anti-tanking is clear to everyone and that it doesn't happen again
    • Yes. Change the way to calculate the draft order.
    • Yes. Remove the owner from the league.
    • Yes. Take a draft pick away from the tanking owner.
    • Yes. Fine the owner an amount of FAAB dollars.
    • Yes. Force the owner to pay extra in dues to play again next year.
    • Yes. Only move the tanking team back in the draft. Don't affect anybody else.
    • Other (specify below)

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You cant change it after the fact like whoever picks 1st in 2018 still does but changing how the draft order is calculated is still an option but the problem is how do you do that? If i have the worst team and put forth an honest effort, in my mind i deserve the #1 pick. If last year i drafted: D Johnson, Demarco, Rodgers, Jameis Dez etc and my team either got hurt or sucked it is my fault for drafting them but i feel like finding a new way is tough. Even a lottery wont stop it just because people want to have the highest % and will still find a way to lose

An interesting wrinkle could be expanding the playoffs. A 2-5 team in a 12 team league with 4 playoff spots is likely done and might tank but if there are 6 spots and the pot is large enough they might push for the 6th spot still but that would water down the regular season 

There is no good answer, sorry. I’m just spit ballin

Also, what if the person that got #1 pick got it because he started inactive players and/or benched his star players? Assume all of the facts in the OP are still the same though.

8 hours ago, the lone star said:

So no changes to 2018, but 2019 is still fair game? Is that correct?

If so, then I agree.

I think you have to wait until 2019 but make the new rule known now. DOCUMENT IT, let me say it again DOCUMENT IT on the league page because someone will say you didnt tell them that rule, they tanked and think they got screwed....

8 hours ago, the lone star said:

Also, what if the person that got #1 pick got it because he started inactive players and/or benched his star players? Assume all of the facts in the OP are still the same though.

While that is an obvious tank move, if this is the person that asked you about it and you sort of signed off, you definitely cant do anything after the fact. Unless there is a rule, its been months since it happened, you cant punish him now

Also, with dynasty leagues, making changes like the draft order in 2018 is a good way to piss off alot of people and the thing that makes dynasty leagues great is continuity among the members. 

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think you have to wait until 2019 but make the new rule known now. DOCUMENT IT, let me say it again DOCUMENT IT on the league page because someone will say you didnt tell them that rule, they tanked and think they got screwed....

I agree.

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

While that is an obvious tank move, if this is the person that asked you about it and you sort of signed off, you definitely cant do anything after the fact. Unless there is a rule, its been months since it happened, you cant punish him now

Also, with dynasty leagues, making changes like the draft order in 2018 is a good way to piss off alot of people and the thing that makes dynasty leagues great is continuity among the members. 

Thanks man, I feel like you are right. The poll clearly indicates it as well.

Don't retroactively punish behavior that wasn't against the rules at the time. If you don't like it and want to implement a rule change going forward, that's one thing. But it seems silly and spiteful to punish after the fact.

Personally I don't feel like tanking is a problem in dynasty leagues. The ultimate goal is to win a championship. Why cost yourself a slot or two (for a real playmaker next year) just to earn an extra win that in the end won't matter? Tanking once you are out of the playoffs is simply trying to win the next season by setting yourself up for better opportunity for success.

Now if playoff teams are tanking to maneuver their playoff slot or tanking once in the playoffs (giving an opponent a win), then I would say there is a problem.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, RuskieTitan said:

Don't retroactively punish behavior that wasn't against the rules at the time. If you don't like it and want to implement a rule change going forward, that's one thing. But it seems silly and spiteful to punish after the fact.

Personally I don't feel like tanking is a problem in dynasty leagues. The ultimate goal is to win a championship. Why cost yourself a slot or two (for a real playmaker next year) just to earn an extra win that in the end won't matter? Tanking once you are out of the playoffs is simply trying to win the next season by setting yourself up for better opportunity for success.

Now if playoff teams are tanking to maneuver their playoff slot or tanking once in the playoffs (giving an opponent a win), then I would say there is a problem.

I agree.

Have you ever seen a team tank in the playoffs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/4/2018 at 8:16 AM, ugLymayNe said:

Two things:

1) No rules in place so it would be bull**** if the commish did something after the fact.

2) I don't get the problem people have with tanking. It's a strategy and if they pay their dues then who cares.

Agreed, but what about the people who dropped in the draft order because they didn't tank or they thought tanking was against the rules?