Colts sign Eric Ebron

marky mark

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Drop issues but was in the top 5-10 in TE's in drop %?

For one season, more often than not Ebron has had issues with drops dating back to his rookie year. 

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/ 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/detroit-lions-team-stats?season=2017&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=2&qualified=0&sortOrder=0

11 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

So we should base him off of a season from the first couple years of his career and throw out what he did last season after we just talked about how TE's take some time to develop/improve and aren't usually the ones to make an instant impact right off the bat?

Hmmm....

I'm a Jaguars fan, I hope the dude flops for our sake. But I'm not sure how this isn't a pretty damn solid move with little risk for a young TE with some pretty decent upside that showed improvements in an area of weakness in his most recent season. Was among the leaders at his position in that area.

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

So we should base him off of a season from the first couple years of his career and throw out what he did last season after we just talked about how TE's take some time to develop/improve and aren't usually the ones to make an instant impact right off the bat?

Hmmm....

I'm a Jaguars fan, I hope the dude flops for our sake. But I'm not sure how this isn't a pretty damn solid move with little risk for a young TE with some pretty decent upside that showed improvements in an area of weakness in his most recent season. Was among the leaders at his position in that area.

We should base him off of his entire career, not just one season and what did he do last season besides improve on his drops and play in more games? He had 3 games in which he eclipsed 50 yards receiving and often disappeared in games I'd consider.

He has "upside" but in four seasons he never realized that upside, why would he suddenly do that in a worse offense with a worse QB? 

His drops went down because he stopped making plays on the ball. That's why his catch percentage dropped 10% this season, despite his great 8 games to end the season. His first half of the season was so poor, Lions fans booed everytime he touched the ball. He also was poor as a endzone threat. He's a horrible blocker. He has a poor attitude. He might still have upside, but he's not a top TE in this league and definitely not worth anything close to $8 million a year. 

I don't think the drop issue is the reason Ebron left Detroit.  He had 61 catches for 711 yards in 2016.  When you have a tight end like that, you can live with the drops issue.  He's valuable with the coverage he demands alone because, as a defense, you have to commit defenders to cover him regardless of whether or not he drops passes. 

I think it had to be more of a mental/personality thing to be honest.  Terrell Owens went a while struggling with drops and nobody cut him because of it.  You can live with talented players who drop passes because of what they do in helping the rest of your receiving options get open.  It's not so easy to live with mental/personality problems.  Don't think the Lions cut a 24-year-old tight end with that kind of physical gift if there's not more to it than drops. 

5 hours ago, OleXmad said:

We should base him off of his entire career, not just one season and what did he do last season besides improve on his drops and play in more games? He had 3 games in which he eclipsed 50 yards receiving and often disappeared in games I'd consider.

He has "upside" but in four seasons he never realized that upside, why would he suddenly do that in a worse offense with a worse QB? 

That's not how it works in the NFL. You should know this 

6 hours ago, DLF54927 said:

It's a maturity issue.  Guy thought he was better than he was and sulked like a kid when things didn't go his way.

Talent is there but so is the 10 cent head.

Sometimes, a dude needs a bit of humble pie before he gets everything in order.

15 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Sometimes, a dude needs a bit of humble pie before he gets everything in order.

Vernon Davis can attest to this. He was the focal point of the whole Singletary "I want winners" rant. He got benched, got called out, probably the best thing that happened to him in the NFL. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Vernon Davis can attest to this. He was the focal point of the whole Singletary "I want winners" rant. He got benched, got called out, probably the best thing that happened to him in the NFL. 

Hell, look at Jadevion Clowney. Had to get the bust label and some serious prodding from Mike Vrabel to start to live up to his potential.

Archived