MOCK round by round (ROUND 4 on page 9)

squire12

I will post an option of players to pick for each round. State your preference for what player to pick and certainly feel free to offer why/why not. I will try to post a new round each day.  Here are the picks, 

Here are the 13 players that have been picked no specific order

1 Sam Darnold
2 Saquon Barkley
3 Josh Rosen
4 Bradley Chubb
5 Baker Mayfield
6 Derwin James
7 Minkah FItzpatrick
8 Denzel Ward
9 Josh Allen
10 Tremaine Edmunds
11 Roquan Smith
12 Quinten Nelson
13 Lamar Jackson

Here is a list of players that are on the board, feel free to offer a name that is not on the list.

Pick 1.14
Marcus Davenport
Harold Landry
Josh Jackson
Leighton Vander Esch
DaRon Payne
Vita Vea
Calvin Ridley
Other ????

For me, it comes down to Marcus Davenport and Harold Landry.  I went with Harold Landry, though would not be disappointed with Davenport.  Feel that Landry has the ability to provide a 3rd pass rusher in 2018 and fill a void with a potential departure of CM3 after this season.  Ability to turn the corner and get to the passer is a premium.  Though CB is a potentially bigger need at present, the value of the CB is just not there for me at present.

GO!!!

LVE really intrigues me. His size, length, and athletic numbers scream EDGE to me. I know he played more the ILB role in college. Is there any reason why he couldn't be an EDGE in the NFL? If I remember right Clay played more the off-ball linebacker role as well in college. Are they similar in any way? 

7 minutes ago, Lieker said:

LVE really intrigues me. His size, length, and athletic numbers scream EDGE to me. I know he played more the ILB role in college. Is there any reason why he couldn't be an EDGE in the NFL? If I remember right Clay played more the off-ball linebacker role as well in college. Are they similar in any way? 

I think he could, but there is a gamble that the conversion does not work out and is the ILB position worth that high pick.  Hard to say in the Pettine defense.  

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

In this scenario, which is my fear (Ward, Edmunds, James gone)...you go Landry.

Certainly a tough call, but there are options at least.  If for some reason 1-2 of the QB do not get selected, then you could see a situation that both Landry and Davenport are gone before pick 14.  That would really be a bad board.

I still want Davenport..I know I'm pretty alone there. I wouldn't be mad at Landry.. IDK he checks all the athletic boxes but I'm kinda worried he will play too much like a sprinter.

MD is not without his concerns though either... Maybe I'm more on the fence there than I realized haha

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

I still want Davenport..I know I'm pretty alone there. I wouldn't be mad at Landry.. IDK he checks all the athletic boxes but I'm kinda worried he will play too much like a sprinter.

MD is not without his concerns though either... Maybe I'm more on the fence there than I realized haha

They both have great potential, I would be thrilled with either. 

8 minutes ago, Redt said:

if this is the scenario you have to trade back if you can find a willing partner, # 14 is a lousy position this year. Gun to my head Ridley.

@Redt

How far would you want to trade back?    And what is the "discount" in doing so you are willing to give up?   With the 5 QB gone, not sure there would be a big market for a team to move up unless they really love a player.  I am just not sure the value to trade back would be there without a QB option on the board.  Moving back 3-4 spots means you could lose out on a few players that could provide some real boost to the D in 2018 and certainly 2019.

8 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

7 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

1a. Davenport 

1b. Landry 

Those 2 are on pretty level playing fields for different reasons.  Landry has the speed/agility and pass rush moves, but less stout vs the run.  Davenport has the bull rush and "freakish" H/W/S, but not much for pass rush moves aside from the bull rush and questions on the level of competition.  

Might come down to what you prefer in your EDGE player and what you feel you can develop that each player does not possess.  

Archived