MOCK round by round (ROUND 4 on page 9)

squire12

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Man I would love to trade up to any of the picks 7 8 or 9 to nab one of those DBs.

At this point though, if we haven't addressed Corner at all before the draft, Josh Jackson could be our pick. Safer pick is Landry, needy pick Jackson.

Moving up from 14 to that later part of top 10 likely GB's 3rd plus a 4th.   Might be hard to address other needs giving up those added picks.  

So make a pick between Landry and Josh Jackson and see what is on the board in the 2nd round.  That is the challenge in making a pick now without knowing what will be there at pick 45.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Thanks for you response.  I could see a trade back as being an option.  My issue with that being that without a QB on the board, I feel the return would be less than if a team was really wanting to move up for that QB.  Also would worry about dropping back too far and missing out on a run of Landry/Davenport/LVE/Vea/Payne

Yeah .. 14 is a tough spot.  The safe thing under your scenario is to take a pass rusher at 14 and then try to move up from our 2nd pick to land a good corner.  

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. 14 is a tough spot.  The safe thing under your scenario is to take a pass rusher at 14 and then try to move up from our 2nd pick to land a good corner.  

I am not sure 14 is any tougher spot than GB has dealt with in previous years.  All depends on who the 1-13 players to be picked.  

I tend to agree with you that ...if the board were as is in this scenario....taking a pass rusher at 14 then seeing how things shake out in the upper part of round 2 to see what CB will potentially be there.  Moving up if needed.  Pick 45 + 101 would put you in the early-mid 30's

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@86Capers  What do you see in him over Landry and the others?   Does his limited pass rush moves give you pause?  Does the level of competition give you pause?

Not speaking for 86capers, but the reason I pick Davenport over Landry is size related.  Davenport has a body type to offer the Packers more versatility.  He can play OLB, Elephant end, and maybe even move inside in some packages.   Not concerned about the small college thing .. he went to the senior bowl and stood out against some of the best that the college ranks had to offer. 

Just now, 86Capers said:

I like Landry too, wouldn't be disappointed if he's was the pick. Landry has great burst, and he bends the edge better than anyone I've seen this year. If he added a spin move or an inside move he'd be tough

Thanks for elaborating.   What is it about Davenport that would get you running to the podium?   Not trying to get into anything other than looking for more specific thoughts.   

As I said in the OP, it would come down to Landry and Davenport.  Each have there pros/cons.  Really is a pick your flavor as to what you prefer in an 1st round EDGE player.

1 minute ago, 86Capers said:

Davenport took over during the senior bowl and wrecked a couple drives. He's raw, but I see so much potential with him. Needs to work on his hand usage and his get off seems a bit slow

Thanks for adding that.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Not speaking for 86capers, but the reason I pick Davenport over Landry is size related.  Davenport has a body type to offer the Packers more versatility.  He can play OLB, Elephant end, and maybe even move inside in some packages.   Not concerned about the small college thing .. he went to the senior bowl and stood out against some of the best that the college ranks had to offer. 

Fair points on the size and body type.  I agree that he may be able to fill out a bit more and offer more options.  Just would be worried that the ability to get around NFL starters might not develop.  Yes he did show at the senior Bowl, but not sure how many of those players will be NFL starting OT.   Hard to tell, and in the end we are all trying to project something that has a lot of variables.

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Moving up from 14 to that later part of top 10 likely GB's 3rd plus a 4th.   Might be hard to address other needs giving up those added picks.  

So make a pick between Landry and Josh Jackson and see what is on the board in the 2nd round.  That is the challenge in making a pick now without knowing what will be there at pick 45.

It's a really tough decision at this point if with stay with this pick. It's just so hard not to draft Jackson, like you just said we don't know what will be there at 45, we could see a run at corners towards the end of the 1st into the 2nd. That would suck even worse than if there's a lot of pass rushers gone by 45 imo.

It's between Landry and Davenport for me. Two completely different rushers, you have speed in Landry versus power from Davenport. Landry is more proven and is a Clay Matthews type whereas Davenport you're drafting him on his potential. Davenport reminds me of Ziggy Ansah coming out of BYU. He was a raw prospect coming out of college just like Davenport is. I would be happy with either. But for the sake of this mock I will go Landry because he is more proven.

If GB were to trade up, who’d be the most likely trade partner?  I’m not clearly seeing which team in the 7-10 pick range would feel the need to trade out of their position, unless it was stupid good for them, in which case, I’d hope GB isn’t the trade partner (giving up stupid numbers of picks, etc).

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If GB were to trade up, who’d be the most likely trade partner?  I’m not clearly seeing which team in the 7-10 pick range would feel the need to trade out of their position, unless it was stupid good for them, in which case, I’d hope GB isn’t the trade partner (giving up stupid numbers of picks, etc).

Agree completely.  If GB wants to move up, it likely takes an overpay to do so.  If GB wants to move back, it likely means selling the pick for less.   It does take another team to be willing to make a trade, and it needs to be in their best interest as well from a value perspective.

20 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It's a really tough decision at this point if with stay with this pick. It's just so hard not to draft Jackson, like you just said we don't know what will be there at 45, we could see a run at corners towards the end of the 1st into the 2nd. That would suck even worse than if there's a lot of pass rushers gone by 45 imo.

It illustrates the point that you need to take the player at 14 that you feel offers the best value while factoring in the relative options that might exist at that same position in later rounds.  The drop off from position X (EDGE) from a tier vs a drop off from position Y (CB) from their respective tier.

Archived