MOCK round by round (ROUND 4 on page 9)

squire12

I really believe one of Fitzpatrick/Ward/James/Edmunds/Smith will fall to us (in reverse order of likelihood).

Think about it: there is always at least one head-scratcher pick in the top 10—so let's say one of those, plus four QBs, plus Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, and one of Vea/Ridley... boom, we're left with one of those defensive studs.

I'd be happy with Landry, Davenport, or Vea.

Vea seems like the safest pick, and provides a bit of pass rush, but would like Davenport for his size or Landry for his speed. 

CBS has Ward being there at 14, and the pack passing him for a right tackle. ? We would have some Justin Harrell reacts I'm sure in that case. 

Still torn between Landry and Davenport, as I have been for ages. 

Although it is very close, my choice today is Davenport, because I'd rather take a guy who is willing to go head to head with a blocker (and coach him up in ways to go around blockers), than coach up a guy who does run the arc around blockers (and coach him up to go head to head with them). Running the arc succesfully in the NFL is tough, given how athletic so many tackles are.

I'm not a fan of Davenport's legs (a bit skinny for a DE), but some strength and conditioning work could help there. I think Davenport is a bit raw as well, but his progression at the Senior Bowl over the week, suggests he can be coached up without too much trouble.

So, Davenport it is for me..............just. But I do like Landry as well - no, stop it, it's Davenport.

I'd still like to see the Packers trade back 4-5 spots in round one, but that needs a partner who wants to move up, and I think that will be hard to find. It's worth mentioning that the reason for a trade back is to give more ammo (along with their later picks) for better/more picks in rounds 2-3. the Packers have a fairly acute need for several starter-quality guys this year, and the best chance of that is in the fist two days of the draft.

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I really believe one of Fitzpatrick/Ward/James/Edmunds/Smith will fall to us (in reverse order of likelihood).

Think about it: there is always at least one head-scratcher pick in the top 10—so let's say one of those, plus four QBs, plus Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, and one of Vea/Ridley... boom, we're left with one of those defensive studs.

Sure that could happen, but in this mock draft scenario, none of the are there.

So if GB wanted one of them, they would need to move up to get them.

3 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I'd be happy with Landry, Davenport, or Vea.

Vea seems like the safest pick, and provides a bit of pass rush, but would like Davenport for his size or Landry for his speed. 

CBS has Ward being there at 14, and the pack passing him for a right tackle. ? We would have some Justin Harrell reacts I'm sure in that case. 

Not being hyper critical of your comment (since I'm not familiar with the players past) but I think Vea (because of his size) more a CLOG in the DL as opposed to a someone who will get a bunch of sacks. He could eat up blockers and free up others to make the sacks - or take the top off the pocket, flushing the QB out to the side rushers or forcing a quicker release of the football. Having a STOUT DL is definitely a concept I can buy into.

I think we're 5 deep on the d-line now so for me Vea is a luxury that we can't afford. We need a pass rusher or a shutdown CB. The only one of the latter available potentially in this draft is Ward. Doubtful he's there at 14. I'm with 1265 (didn't feel like typing it all out, but now have wasted more characters explaining that) an EDGE rusher or a trade down 4-5 slots. Arden Key, John Sweat or Lorenzo Carter could all be decent consolation prizes if we get a 2nd rounder to go with it in a trade down. One or all of them could be available to us in round 2 as well. 

I'm for any of these guys at 14: Chubb, Edmunds, Davenport or Smith. I'm borderline on Landry. I like James, do not like Fitzpatrick but want neither at 14. 

39 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I think we're 5 deep on the d-line now so for me Vea is a luxury that we can't afford. We need a pass rusher or a shutdown CB. The only one of the latter available potentially in this draft is Ward. Doubtful he's there at 14. I'm with 1265 (didn't feel like typing it all out, but now have wasted more characters explaining that) an EDGE rusher or a trade down 4-5 slots. Arden Key, John Sweat or Lorenzo Carter could all be decent consolation prizes if we get a 2nd rounder to go with it in a trade down. One or all of them could be available to us in round 2 as well. 

I'm for any of these guys at 14: Chubb, Edmunds, Davenport or Smith. I'm borderline on Landry. I like James, do not like Fitzpatrick but want neither at 14. 

You'd take Smith over Fitz or James? Yikes. Roquan isn't even a top 2 LB in this draft and people want him in the top 14. No thank you.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Not being hyper critical of your comment (since I'm not familiar with the players past) but I think Vea (because of his size) more a CLOG in the DL as opposed to a someone who will get a bunch of sacks. He could eat up blockers and free up others to make the sacks - or take the top off the pocket, flushing the QB out to the side rushers or forcing a quicker release of the football. Having a STOUT DL is definitely a concept I can buy into.

No doubt, I don't spend much time looking into these guys mostly come here to read what you all are saying and throw my 2 cents out there. But ya I pretty much agree with your assessment of Vea in the pass rush, in being valuable by freeing up others. I'd be torn if I had to decide between those three (Vea, Dav, and Landry), but definitely think any 3 of them could be a huge help. 

23 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

No doubt, I don't spend much time looking into these guys mostly come here to read what you all are saying and throw my 2 cents out there. But ya I pretty much agree with your assessment of Vea in the pass rush, in being valuable by freeing up others. I'd be torn if I had to decide between those three (Vea, Dav, and Landry), but definitely think any 3 of them could be a huge help. 

Well - although I can appreciate that Vea's probably a really talented player and schematically would enhance our DL - he doesnt fit our positional needs at this time and I'd really be scratching my head if we selected him in Round 1. Not gonna happen in my view.

I'd prefer Payne over Vea if we went that route. I think Payne could be shifted along that line quite easily and his athleticism is a great fit for Pettine's defense.

That said, trading back would be a viable option depending on who would trade up for who.

Between Davenport or Landry?  I'd take Davenport and keep an eye out for OO from Oklahoma or Marques Haynes from Miss later rounds.  Landry is polished ready to go, but Davenport has a higher ceiling.  Still think Fitz (Wood II) is going to slip to us.  No to Roquan Smith, He's the size of a safety without the coverage skills.

So as far as I can work it out so far (some posters are a bit 'indefinite' on their picks), it is currently: 

Landry            7
Davenport      9
Vander Esch  1
Jackson          1
Payne              0
Vea                   1
Ridley               1

Winner (so far) Davenport. Time for round 2 maybe ?

Archived