Steelers sign Morgan Burnett

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Isn't he pretty good?

Pretty good is the right descriptor, yes.  This was the correct move by the Packers.  No need to spend 3rd contract money when there are a couple of guys that are capable, and younger and cheaper.  Burnett still has some good football left and I expect him to do well in Pittsburgh.

One of the things Burnett brought to the table was "knowing " the defense really well and getting everybody lined up

Once GB went away from the Capers system, that trait wasn't quite as valuable

He'll be a fine addition in Pitt, solid veteran and has played SS and some ILB in recent past.

2 hours ago, Crickett said:

Brb, off to change my mock draft.

60. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jesse Bates, S

60. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mason Rudolph, QB

I would put Bates in the running for the 1st round pick.  I am waiting to see where Tomlin and Colbert go on the 22nd ( Ohio State vs Stanford).  That will give us another data point to know what they are thinking.

The Steelers will still pick a ILB and a safety high in this draft.  They just do not HAVE to because they have no holes ( other than talent). 

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would put Bates in the running for the 1st round pick.  I am waiting to see where Tomlin and Colbert go on the 22nd ( Ohio State vs Stanford).  That will give us another data point to know what they are thinking.

The Steelers will still pick a ILB and a safety high in this draft.  They just do not HAVE to because they have no holes ( other than talent). 

What about Sean Davis?

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

One of the things Burnett brought to the table was "knowing " the defense really well and getting everybody lined up

Once GB went away from the Capers system, that trait wasn't quite as valuable

He'll be a fine addition in Pitt, solid veteran and has played SS and some ILB in recent past.

This is what I like to hear. So many times the Steelers blew assignments not knowing where they were suppose to be and who to cover. Mitchell was a big part of that failure. Getting an intelligent player will definitely help the Steelers secondary.

1 hour ago, marky mark said:

That's a steal. I guess GB were ready to move on to Josh Jones if that's all he signed for.

Clearly GB had no intention of bringing him back. A trio of Clinton-Dix, Jones and Brice is a really talented trio that, if they put it together and especially if Jones takes a second year leap, we should be set at S. Just sucks to see a leader and long time player like Burnett leave. Steelers will be happy with him. 

Archived