Steelers sign Morgan Burnett

49erurtaza

10 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

This is what I like to hear. So many times the Steelers blew assignments not knowing where they were suppose to be and who to cover. Mitchell was a big part of that failure. Getting an intelligent player will definitely help the Steelers secondary.

defense not knowing assignments might of cost us the pats game(coaches said Davis was supposed to get help covering Gronk) and the jags game... that 3rd and long where bortles found Yeldon wide open in the flats for the 30 yard gain closed the door on a comeback..players said someone was supposed to be covering the flats smh

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

defense not knowing assignments might of cost us the pats game(coaches said Davis was supposed to get help covering Gronk) and the jags game... that 3rd and long where bortles found Yeldon wide open in the flats for the 30 yard gain closed the door on a comeback..players said someone was supposed to be covering the flats smh

Exactly. Those two examples were the first ones I was thinking of as well.

15 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

One of the things Burnett brought to the table was "knowing " the defense really well and getting everybody lined up

Once GB went away from the Capers system, that trait wasn't quite as valuable

He'll be a fine addition in Pitt, solid veteran and has played SS and some ILB in recent past.

Those traits make him a significant upgrade over Mitchell, who was incredibly prone to blowing assignments to go all man-missile on someone.

3 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

Those traits make him pretty much anyone a significant upgrade over Mitchell, who was incredibly prone to blowing assignments to go all man-missile on someone.

FIFY.

Burnett is a solid get, don't get me wrong, but Mitchell was such a liability in pass coverage for that heat-seeking missile MO, it was going to be addition by subtraction - it's just a bonus the Steelers actually got a guy who can play the all-round game pretty well.

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FIFY.

Burnett is a solid get, don't get me wrong, but Mitchell was such a liability in pass coverage for that heat-seeking missile MO, it was going to be addition by subtraction - it's just a bonus the Steelers actually got a guy who can play the all-round game pretty well.

Agreed.

Steeler fans are just happy that we signed someone who is an actual UPGRADE.   There were rumblings that JJ Wilcox might actually take over for Mitchell, and needless to say, thats not really an upgrade.    More like a lateral move at best. 

16 hours ago, August4th said:

having played and coached defense i can assure you somebody was supposed to be covering the flat.  Theres never been a defense designed yet to leave the flats uncovered (zone)

Archived