Safety Morgan Burnett has signed 3 yr. deal with Steelers

JLambert58

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

As with anything, it depends on the money but a HUGE upgrade. However, he's been a SS with the Pack so does he drop back to FS or does Davis? 

Pretty sure Burnett can play both....but Id probably move Davis to FS.    

IMO, this shouldnt prevent us from drafting a safety early.   This just means we dont necessarily have to make a desperation pick.    I still have next to no faith in Sean Davis and while Burnett is a nice get, he has been banged up and seems to have lost a step as a pass defender.    He will be good for our run game, but IMO, we still to find another safety.

In general, I am quite happy with this signing....but much like with Bostic, doesnt really change what our needs are.    Just gives us a bit more flexibility in how we approach the draft.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Pretty sure Burnett can play both....but Id probably move Davis to FS.    

IMO, this shouldnt prevent us from drafting a safety early.   This just means we dont necessarily have to make a desperation pick.    I still have next to no faith in Sean Davis and while Burnett is a nice get, he has been banged up and seems to have lost a step as a pass defender.    He will be good for our run game, but IMO, we still to find another safety.

In general, I am quite happy with this signing....but much like with Bostic, doesnt really change what our needs are.    Just gives us a bit more flexibility in how we approach the draft.

I agree to an extent (as usual). I think Morgan is a better all around Safety then Bostic is an ILB. Bostic is a 2 Down "Thumper" while Morgan is more flexible, can play either Safety position and should provide better coverage than Davis. I do agree that this signing shouldn't change the "need" for another Safety in the Draft but a solid signing nonetheless as you alluded to. 

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I agree to an extent (as usual). I think Morgan is a better all around Safety then Bostic is an ILB. Bostic is a 2 Down "Thumper" while Morgan is more flexible, can play either Safety position and should provide better coverage than Davis. I do agree that this signing shouldn't change the "need" for another Safety in the Draft but a solid signing nonetheless as you alluded to. 

Definitely.   

Bostic is a depth player, but then again, thats what VW should be, so he might push him for playing time, but it shouldnt affect us potentially drafting an ILB early.

Burnett is an instant upgrade at safety (when healthy), but likely only a short term option, and still doesnt address our need for a quality center-fielding safety.   

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Definitely.   

Bostic is a depth player, but then again, thats what VW should be, so he might push him for playing time, but it shouldnt affect us potentially drafting an ILB early.

Burnett is an instant upgrade at safety (when healthy), but likely only a short term option, and still doesnt address our need for a quality center-fielding safety.   

Yeah, perhaps Davis could become that Center-fielder. The tangibles are there. Perhaps more seasoning and coaching can help him gain those intangibles (Awareness/Play recognition...etc). I'm not counting on it but perhaps based on his physical/athletic attributes FS may be his best fit. 

I am a fan of this signing as long as the numbers aren't crazy. I was talking with a good friend who  has his ins with the packers and he said Burnett is one of the smarter players in the league and is like having a coach on the field. That part alone of having our secondary lined up correctly is a big deal for me after last year. I think a significant part of Burns and Davis issues were the lack of leadership in the secondary making the right calls and making sure people are where they need to be.

I think we aren't going to take a safety in the first 3 rounds now.  Sounds as though if they are bringing in Burnett it means they are comfortable with Davis going to FS.  Which is what I saw him becoming in the NFL when we drafted him, and I think we may have stunted him some in growth some.  I feel as though they will be comfortable enough to go a later round FS (it is deep enough for that); opening up for us to go another direction earlier in the draft.

Every DB that leaves the Packers is an instant Pro Bowl player, so congrats! ?

Morgan can give you reps anywhere. I wouldn't have him at FS too much, he's more natural as he gets closer to the LOS. He has played slot CB for us and done a really good job there. He's also a pretty good LBer when asked to do that. You got a good player and a very good man.

Burnett is an experienced really good strong safety while he can play the other position as well I do think he's lost some speed and he has had some injuries but if he can stay healthy we've got enough speed in the secondary still where I feel like Burnett can still be effective more so than Mike Mitchell was. He is not the safety I wanted but I didn't really expect to get the safeties I wanted I cannot possibly be upset with this move. I still feel like we're going to draft a safety in the first two rounds Maybe the third round at the latest but I also feel like we won't force a pic so if there isn't a guy available maybe this draft doesn't bring us one. I still expect us to sign a wide receiver even if that wide receiver is Matthew Slater for special teams purposes. I was hoping Michael Thomas would sign with us because he's a really good special teams guy and maybe there's a chance that he still will. But this is definitely a step in the right direction

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think we aren't going to take a safety in the first 3 rounds now.  Sounds as though if they are bringing in Burnett it means they are comfortable with Davis going to FS.  Which is what I saw him becoming in the NFL when we drafted him, and I think we may have stunted him some in growth some.  I feel as though they will be comfortable enough to go a later round FS (it is deep enough for that); opening up for us to go another direction earlier in the draft.

I think Burnett adds a solid veteran presence, but he is not a five year answer at safety.  I strongly believe that they still will draft a safety in the first three rounds, and if an ILB is not there they make even take one round one. Like the Bostic signing, this does not eliminate the need for more talent. There is virtually no safety depth.  They need an influx of talent. How Burnett helps is that he does not rush someone into play like Davis had to be as a rookie who jumped from SS to Slot CB and then back to SS. They can draft a safety and ease him in or play him in the Nickel to gain experience.

In my humble opinion ILB and safety are still priorities to fill through this draft.  This is also a deep class of safeties and you would be wise to grab a solid player while you can.

I will stick to my prediction.  They will draft BPA from ILB or Safety in the draft.  This precludes some odd event like Denzel Ward or Josh Allen falling to 28.  I personally think Evans will be higher on their board than either Bates or Reid but if Evans and LVE are both gone then it will be a safety pick.

8 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

In my humble opinion ILB and safety are still priorities to fill through this draft.  This is also a deep class of safeties and you would be wise to grab a solid player while you can.

The SS class is deep.  The FS class is very thin.  ILB is deep but less so in Mack than in Buck ILB.

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The SS class is deep.  The FS class is very thin.  ILB is deep but less so in Mack than in Buck ILB.

Agreed.  The Steelers are at an advantage at Safety in that their safeties have been very interchangable. I.E. They do not use traditional FS/SS roles. The ILB class has talent.  There are few that can make an immediate impact, but some guys who will develop ear two and three into solid pro.  What do you think about Micah Kiser?

Archived