Gruden hints RB early

LoganF89

http://bleacherreport.com/post/washington-redskins/14719bcb-4379-4342-8ba5-ccc1d18f545a?share=other

grant Paulson asked gruden if we should expect a running back in the early rounds, his response was that’s a good possibility, yes

i really want Hankins bad and if we get him then guice is who I want at 13, even if we don’t get Hankins and pass on Vita or daron at 13 we can still get a quality Nose tackle in the 2nd

will be interesting to hear our options when the draft approaches on trading back, that is the thing I’m hoping we do

17 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

i really want Hankins bad and if we get him then guice is who I want at 13,

even if we don’t get Hankins and pass on Vita or daron at 13 we can still get a quality Nose tackle in the 2nd

will be interesting to hear our options when the draft approaches on trading back, that is the thing I’m hoping we do

Yes yes yes, on the first sentence above.

I'm a little less assured that they can, but maybe Settle is there (looking more probable) Otherwise, NT looks less resolved. 

Trading back is also highly tempting. 

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

It would be such a Bruce Allen move to reach on a running back at 13.

Could always trade back and grab a quality RB. This team has desperately needed a difference maker at the position for a while now. While Thompson is nice he’s clearly a complimentary piece. Maybe Saquon falls enough to go up and grab him. 

14 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Could always trade back and grab a quality RB. This team has desperately needed a difference maker at the position for a while now. While Thompson is nice he’s clearly a complimentary piece. Maybe Saquon falls enough to go up and grab him. 

He's not falling past 7 in the absolute worst case, so the Redskins would need to jump up to four or five (the Colts want Bradley Chubb so I doubt they move down any further). Do we really want the Redskins to spend the draft capital it will require to move from 13 to 4/5? For a RB? When they have needs elsewhere?

1 hour ago, Woz said:

He's not falling past 7 in the absolute worst case, so the Redskins would need to jump up to four or five (the Colts want Bradley Chubb so I doubt they move down any further). Do we really want the Redskins to spend the draft capital it will require to move from 13 to 4/5? For a RB? When they have needs elsewhere?

Personally I wouldn’t but do they ever do what sensible?

17 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Personally I wouldn’t but do they ever do what sensible?

I'm willing to give them the benefit on the doubt on this one, if for no other reason that the franchise is still stinging from the RG3 trade.

If Hankins signs and I'm the Skins I am looking to trade down in the first without hesitation. RB would be a smart pick then.

The quarterbacks what is going to help us. If 4 qbs go before we pick the likelihood of Fitzpatrick or James being on the board is solid. There's a couple teams in the 20s that would move up for one of them I believe. That's far enough of a drop to pick up an extra 2nd and a 4th round pick. If the running back is what we want this is the rout that will get us there and fill needs elsewhere.

I still hold true with Ronald Jones being the guy for us with Sony Michel a close 2nd. Guice real good rb but in the passing game I see the other 2 as better fits and hope the skins feel the same.

If we land that trade back scenario I would go Issah Wynn in the first, Ronald Jones in the 2nd and with the extra pick and Tim Settle in the 3rd. Settle would be insurance for Hankins in case of injury and I would want to make darn sure we can stop the run regardless

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

If Hankins signs and I'm the Skins I am looking to trade down in the first without hesitation. RB would be a smart pick then.

The quarterbacks what is going to help us. If 4 qbs go before we pick the likelihood of Fitzpatrick or James being on the board is solid. There's a couple teams in the 20s that would move up for one of them I believe. That's far enough of a drop to pick up an extra 2nd and a 4th round pick. If the running back is what we want this is the rout that will get us there and fill needs elsewhere.

I still hold true with Ronald Jones being the guy for us with Sony Michel a close 2nd. Guice real good rb but in the passing game I see the other 2 as better fits and hope the skins feel the same.

If we land that trade back scenario I would go Issah Wynn in the first, Ronald Jones in the 2nd and with the extra pick and Tim Settle in the 3rd. Settle would be insurance for Hankins in case of injury and I would want to make darn sure we can stop the run regardless

In almost every likely scenario for this year, trading back looks like the best possible option. 

With guys like Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb a near certainty to be off the board, the only other option that would make me greatly hesitate to trade back from... is Vita Vea. If he's gone too? or Washington does in fact sign Hankins? there's no way I wouldn't be looking for that trade back. 

Guice is my boy, but like you suggest, there are some good RBs behind him. 

Archived