Gruden hints RB early

LoganF89

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

My issue with taking a RB in round 1 is twofold:

1.  Who the heck is playing LG?

2.  Jay Gruden doesn’t run the ball.

I'm not worried about Gruden. I can't imagine him being back after this season anyway so I look at Guice as someone the next coach can gameplan with. 

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

My issue with taking a RB in round 1 is twofold:

1.  Who the heck is playing LG?

2.  Jay Gruden doesn’t run the ball.

meh.. 25.1 x per game ranks 23rd in the League, but think about how little more the difference really is between 23rd and 13th most... 2.1 more carries. Difference between 23rd and 3rd most is 5 carries more per game. 

Jay and Alex will likely up the carries 3-5 more per game with a better RB in place.. is my guess.

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm not worried about Gruden. I can't imagine him being back after this season anyway so I look at Guice as someone the next coach can gameplan with. 

I agree , Gruden or not a guy like Guice can be attractive to the next coach who likes running the ball.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I would take Payne over any of them, but based on your scenario I’d take Vea.  Anything in the back end of the defense is heavily effected by what’s going on up front, so until we fix that no safety is going make that big of a difference.  Also I liked what I saw from Nicholson last year and Swearinger is solid.

As far as RB is concerned I feel like 13 is too early for Guice and I’m not keen on spending a first round pick on a RB.

Well I have Vea going at 11, so at 13 wouldnt be a bad option. James is likely the best value but does that make sense over Swearinger and Nicholson? I have a lot of hope in the starting guys and the depth guys, so James would be a luxury to me. But we have no running game that can get downhill and push the ypc. 

Guice would be the easy plug and play at this point. 

If Scarborough turns out to be Derrick Henry lite that’s fine by me. With the talent we have up front there’s no reason Perine or Kelly struggled like they did last year. Even in this era there’s nothing wrong with winning ball games on the ground. 

My thing is we’ve seen this team run over team erat in the season. I believe if Gruden had a back he trusted on this roster we would run. It’s not like we’ve really been in a spot the last 2 years where you can say oh our RB had 90 before the half and that team has no awnser for it and we went pass happy. Get a back that doesn’t fumble for once and sees the whole and actually averages over 3.6 I believe we will run the ball

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Don't get why some think Gruden is a bad coach. He's done fairly well so far I think. Consideringall the injuries last year he did a good job IMO

I don’t think he’s a bad coach I just think he gets way too pass happy with his playcalling.

He does like to sling it. I'd like to see how he would adjust with a stud rb. I think they all know it's imperative that they draft a good rb this year.

My rb board with Barkley off the board ( no chance we get him)

Jones

K. Johnson 

Michel

Guice

Penny

Chubb

In that order for me, but I'd be happy with any of them. I didn't realize how jacked Chubb was, if not for his injury in college he would have pushed Barkley for top rb

3 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

If Scarborough turns out to be Derrick Henry lite that’s fine by me. With the talent we have up front there’s no reason Perine or Kelly struggled like they did last year. Even in this era there’s nothing wrong with winning ball games on the ground. 

Both got hit in the backfield a lot because an OL would get beat or more often a TE. It’s a combination of a lot of things with our running game:

1. Scheme, we try to run a blend of power and zone. That doesn’t let our OL get in a rhythm. I’d preferably like to stick to the zbs, that’s what Perine ran in college and Thompson is good at it. We should mix in some zone read and read pass option too because Alex Smith is elite at it.

2. We don’t consistently we run the ball. Much like with the passing game, if you don’t consistently run the ball the OL and backs don’t get in a rhythm, it’s a problem, especially in the red zone and short yardage.

3. Our TEs suck at blocking.

4. Sometimes Kelley and Perine miss green space in front of them and neither of them gave good speed to hit the hole and go like they’re shot out of a cannon. Thompson has that, but he can’t hold up to carrying the ball 15-20 times a game as a lead RB.

26 minutes ago, Eric said:

He does like to sling it. I'd like to see how he would adjust with a stud rb. I think they all know it's imperative that they draft a good rb this year.

My rb board with Barkley off the board ( no chance we get him)

Jones

K. Johnson 

Michel

Guice

Penny

Chubb

In that order for me, but I'd be happy with any of them. I didn't realize how jacked Chubb was, if not for his injury in college he would have pushed Barkley for top rb

When Gruden had Ben Jarvis Green Ellis and Gio Bernard the Bengals had a successful running game. We need our Ben Jarvis Green Ellis to counter what Thompson brings. We had that with Morris, they decided not retain him for the love of Matt Jones. Any of those RBs you listed will do. Don’t sleep on Chubb. He was a tenth slower than Barkley in the 40 but he really showed a lot of explosion at the combine in the vertical and other drills. He showed better than Michel and I was shocked. 

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Both got hit in the backfield a lot because an OL would get beat or more often a TE. It’s a combination of a lot of things with our running game:

1. Scheme, we try to run a blend of power and zone. That doesn’t let our OL get in a rhythm. I’d preferably like to stick to the zbs, that’s what Perine ran in college and Thompson is good at it. We should mix in some zone read and read pass option too because Alex Smith is elite at it.

2. We don’t consistently we run the ball. Much like with the passing game, if you don’t consistently run the ball the OL and backs don’t get in a rhythm, it’s a problem, especially in the red zone and short yardage.

3. Our TEs suck at blocking.

4. Sometimes Kelley and Perine miss green space in front of them and neither of them gave good speed to hit the hole and go like they’re shot out of a cannon. Thompson has that, but he can’t hold up to carrying the ball 15-20 times a game as a lead RB.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We got a winner. You are right I saw our RB get tackle in the backfield b/c of missed blocks by the TE's. May I add  lack of execution also.

Some don't want to think about this (for their own peculiar reasoning).. and I know it could touch a nerve with some... so just keep in mind.

NO accusations or confirmations.

Just throwin' this out there. A quarterback's ability to diagnose, adjust alignment on plays... even audible the play.. can have a HUGE difference on having an effective run game. 

Will this happen for Washington? Hell, I dunno.. historically, I like their chances. Again, just sayin'.. it's something to maybe keep in mind and be encouraged/optimistic about. 

Archived