TheVillain112 2018 Mock v1.0...

TheVillain112

As you all should know by now, I'm an address the trenches kind of guy.  A strong OL/DL can mask issues elsewhere.  Playing in the trenches is also the most grueling so having quality depth is key IMHO.  We got Cordy Glenn but he hasn't played 16 games in 2 years.  If he goes down, our season is toast unless...

1.21 Isaiah Wynn, OT/G, Georgia
We need a starter at RT, and Isaiah Wynn has the ablity to come right in and start IMO. There aren't a lot of OT prospects who can help us, which is why I'm addressing it in round 1.  When looking at impact/need, the best thing that can happen to this team is that we address the trenches in the draft.

2.46 James Daniels, OC, Iowa
Center was always our biggest need and with Bodine gone, we'll finally address it.  Daniels comp seems to be Rodney Hudson, who went 2.55, so I'm hoping he'll still be available at 2.46.  If not Billy Price or Mason Cole are adequate picks as well.  One of those 3 should be available, which is why I don't address Center in the 1st round.

3.77 James Looney, DL, California
He fits the mold of an oversized DE/undersized DT that we like to rotate in.  Looney had the second best SPARQ score of all DL in the draft, and is a disruptive force which we need behind Geno.  Before you dismiss this pick, take a look at this video and tell me we don't need someone that can penetrate the backfield like Looney: https://youtu.be/qlITvRiRRdA

3.100 Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida
1st round talent that drops to the 3rd round due to character issues.  He didn't play in 2017 due to suspension but the guy is a baller.  Compared to Antonio Brown by some, this guy can get it done on the field.  We usually take at least one player in this architype.

4.112 Shaquem Griffin, OLB, Central Florida
To those addressing LB early in their mocks, there's plenty of quality LBs in the mid-rounds.  Example #1

5.151 Mike McCray, OLB, Michigan
Example #2

5.158 Terrell Edmunds, S, Virginia Tech
I don't see safety has big of a need as others, but if Edmunds drops to the 5th which I could see he would be a good pickup here.

5.170 Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
He's an athletic TE.  Good to have some competition in camp

7.249 Jacob Pugh, OLB, Florida State
7.252 Scott Quessenberry, OC/G, California
7.253 Dane Cruikshank, CB/S, Arizona

I like it.  I won't really say "No way he'll be available then!" usually because group think seems to permeate a lot of mock drafts and guys the internet love inevitably tend to fall some of draft day (some, not all).  Daniels may very well be there at 46.  Honestly still think I prefer Price over Daniels.  Price has leadership in spades, is strong as an ox, and can run a NFL oline.

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I like it.  I won't really say "No way he'll be available then!" usually because group think seems to permeate a lot of mock drafts and guys the internet love inevitably tend to fall some of draft day (some, not all).  Daniels may very well be there at 46.  Honestly still think I prefer Price over Daniels.  Price has leadership in spades, is strong as an ox, and can run a NFL oline.

Yeah, I'm good with either Daniels or Price.  Price (if healthy this season) seems like he would do better year 1.  But Daniels is young and has higher upside IMO.  I'd be happy with either.

Also, we always seem to catch some falling prospects in the 5th round.  I'm hoping this draft is no different...

12 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I would be down with it. The only one I don’t see happening is Callaway in the 3rd. I don’t see them spending a 3rd on a WR. 

Also I think they add a QB and RB in the later rounds 

Good point about QB and RB. 

As for Callaway, he's a legit 1st round talent.  Just imagine replacing LaFell with Callaway...

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Good point about QB and RB. 

As for Callaway, he's a legit 1st round talent.  Just imagine replacing LaFell with Callaway...

I honestly don’t mind Lafell as long as Ross and Boyd see significant snaps. We need to replace Core, he has done nothing to show he’s worthy of a roster spot. I expect them to draft a receiver just not 3rd round. I’ll post a mock later ?

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Wynn is a good player, but I would much rather see a game breaker type defender there than slot a guy out of position to right tackle. I think we can get a quality right tackle in the 3rd or 4th.

Everyone that I've seen evaluate Wynn's tape has stated how smart and natural he is at Tackle.  I don't think moving him from LT to RT equates to 'playing out of position'.  Also, Wynn is good in the run game and unlike other OT prospects, I think he can excel at getting to the second level.  That's one of the biggest reasons I like Wynn and Daniels. Both have the ability to set blocks at the 2nd level and make blocks on defenders in space.  That is what I think will greatly open up the running game for Mixon...

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I was referring to him being projected at guard by most observers. Not saying he can't, Whit and Cordy Glenn were both pigeon holed at guard.

Gotcha.  IMO, Wynn might be the best OT prospect in this draft.  I re-watched every snap of his against Alabama, and he has fantastic feet and balance.  Cordy Glenn who also went to UGA, might be a good comp for Wynn.  Imagine having both of them as bookends...

Wynn’s versatility should make it easier in camp for them to pick the other starter on the right side too. If Fisher looks like the best of the rest put Wynn at guard if it’s Redmond put him at tackle. I like Price’s versatility also.

Archived