Fullback trade Raiders send Olawale to Cowboys

49erurtaza

Funny story about Olawale. I have a buddy that played for the Rams for a season back in the day, and is connected enough still to go to practices and hang out with the players. He was at a Raiders practice and saw Olawale. Said he looked like a little kid with a backpack on, and looked out of place. 

Probably not doing it justice, but Everytime my buddy tells that story he's laughing like crazy. 

Meh.   I wished we had resigned Keith Smith.  He was a gamer and a banger.  When this deal first came out I didn't care too much about the draft swap terms of it (one of our two late 5th rd. comp picks to move back 20-something picks in the 6th).  To hear that this FB will cost us $1.5M when we could've (should've) coughed-up another $600k for Keith? That part makes me a sad panda. Sure, I hear that the Cowboys are familiar w/Olawale (I don't remember him) and he's a more offensive/faster player than Keith, but in terms of tackling on special teams and blowing-up LBs, I can't be convinced that they're equal in the physicality sense.  Keith is our Jeff Heath of the offense. Young, hungry, versatile and durable "football" guys are integral to every team. Guys fed off Keith....and why wouldn't you when the guy had no shot to make it into the league, got cut and resigned ~20 times by the Cowboys and when asked to convert from LB to FB he was like "Whatever you need me to do".   Yes, I rue losing Keith Smith.  Losing Wilber, Scandrick or Cooper? Meh.  I loved Hitchens but he truly would've cost too much to retain.  We should've coughed up the minor dough for Keith, however.

Raider fans will find out soon what kind of player they have in K. Smith and they'll fall in love.

Bottom line:  I'm hoping that the offensive skills of Olawale are worth it but I have serious doubts with Garrett and his lame attempt at emulating the Patriot's 12-personnel back in 2013. Garrett just isn't creative enough to use Hybrid TE's, scatbacks, pass-catching FBs, 4-wide formations,  etc.

8 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

Meh.   I wished we had resigned Keith Smith.  He was a gamer and a banger.  When this deal first came out I didn't care too much about the draft swap terms of it (one of our two late 5th rd. comp picks to move back 20-something picks in the 6th).  To hear that this FB will cost us $1.5M when we could've (should've) coughed-up another $600k for Keith? That part makes me a sad panda. Sure, I hear that the Cowboys are familiar w/Olawale (I don't remember him) and he's a more offensive/faster player than Keith, but in terms of tackling on special teams and blowing-up LBs, I can't be convinced that they're equal in the physicality sense.  Keith is our Jeff Heath of the offense. Young, hungry, versatile and durable "football" guys are integral to every team. Guys fed off Keith....and why wouldn't you when the guy had no shot to make it into the league, got cut and resigned ~20 times by the Cowboys and when asked to convert from LB to FB he was like "Whatever you need me to do".   Yes, I rue losing Keith Smith.  Losing Wilber, Scandrick or Cooper? Meh.  I loved Hitchens but he truly would've cost too much to retain.  We should've coughed up the minor dough for Keith, however.

Raider fans will find out soon what kind of player they have in K. Smith and they'll fall in love.

Bottom line:  I'm hoping that the offensive skills of Olawale are worth it but I have serious doubts with Garrett and his lame attempt at emulating the Patriot's 12-personnel back in 2013. Garrett just isn't creative enough to use Hybrid TE's, scatbacks, pass-catching FBs, 4-wide formations,  etc.

As far as I can see vastly different players. Olawale is much more a receiving/running FB that can block rather than a true power blocking, old school FB. We barely used him this past season but he's got really good feet for a bigger guy and can shift too, very deceptive. This is from 2016 when we had a real OC.....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcV_SjhFfdU

Archived