kurgan's mock 3.0--St. Paddy's Hangover

kurgan

Alright, so I am doing this as I revel in the FA signings of Jon Bostic and hopefully the FA signing of Morgan Burnett, freeing up the top of the board and making depth a little less of an issue.  Here we go... tear it apart!!!

1) Sam Hubbard, DE/OLB Ohio State  6'6" 270

Ok, so, first things first.  I sat here and waited for BPA and got left with the usual cast of characters (Reid, Evans, Bates) that are reaches, and I saw one name that jumped out at me.  Hubbard, he of all of the draft hype last year before breaking the hearts of draftniks everywhere when he went back to school.  So, here he is.  Boxes checked--Power 5 school, left school early, position flexible.  Comparable stats to TJ Watt (35 vs 37 on vert; 116 vs 128 on broad, 4.32 vs 4.78 on SS, 6.84 vs 6.79 on 3 cone, 4.7 vs 4.69 on 40), and he is 20 pounds heavier.  Schemewise, is an OLB that is used to dropping in coverage, and is an elite pass rusher.  So, 3-4 OLB, nickel DE on day one.  So, this may trouble some Dupree fans, but he was BPA for me, and I see the fit immediately.  

2) Nick Chubb, RB UGA  5'11" 220

Ok, so I get it from the jump.  Why RB here??  Well, I read that if Bell signs the tag, he is as good as gone in 2019.  So, we have to get ready, and again... Chubb fell.  Is Pittsburgh ready for life after Bell with JUST Connor and Fitz??  Do you think Ben is??  I understand the arguement that why take a guy in 2018 that will not play until 2019, but if you are creative, you can find a way.  Two back sets.  Bell at WR and Chubb in the backfield.  Chubb in the slot.  Elite speed and vision, power to kill people.  Too good to pass up.

3) Terrell Edmunds, FS Virginia Tech  6'2" 220

The little brother of a top 10 pick.  This kid is a true centerfielder that will be ready to go pretty soon.  With Burnett and Davis deep, he can come in the dime and play the true CF role.  Fast and rangy, fits the needs we have.  Plus, Tomlin and the boys were at pro day, so that helps.  Will learn on the job, and maybe push one of them to a slot corner role.

5a)  Allen Lazard, WR Iowa State  6'5" 223

I have been putting my boy Javon Wims here, but this will be a bit different since he had a redemption story at the Combine.  Kid is a jump ball master, and a physical run blocker to boot.  Will make a difference in the red zone, and will be a matchup nightmare.  NOT a vertical threat per se, but will be a difference maker when it counts.  Can play outside and allow Brown to do his thing underneath.

5b) Matthew Thomas, ILB  Florida State  6'3" 227

One of the several Florida State enigmas.  Tape is meh.  Numbers are SICK.  I mean, his combine numbers are puzzling but EXPLOSIVE!!!  Get him in, coach him up and he can take over at the Mack for Bostic when he is ready.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/matthew-thomas

7a) De'Asian Richardson, NT  Louisville  6'3" 322

Old school plugger ala ShadeTree that can make the D-line competition interesting.  Actually pretty decent moves on tape, but was not at combine, so his stats are a bit of a mystery. Can penetrate on the D-Line and make stuff happen.  Hate that he is 6'3", would feel better if he were 6'1", but worth a shot.

7b)  Avonte Maddox, CB  Pitt  5'10" 184

Ok, take a flyer on the little guy.  Local kid, plays at the stadium anyway.  Tiny, small, little... whatever.  But, worth it when you look at his explosive numbers from the combine.  Maybe nothing, maybe another Hilton... idk.  Worth a shot.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/avonte-maddox

I would feel better about a KR/PR guy, but I am pretty happy with this.  LEMME KNOW!!!!

I've already explained time and time again why I would absolutely hate running back any earlier than the fifth round unless we are planning to trade Le'Veon before the season starts. It would be absolutely stupid to let Bell know we have no intention of resigning him. He isn't going to put everything on the field every week and let us run him into the ground like we did last season when he knows we are planning to let him walk next year.

If we truly want to retain him long-term, we need to keep working towards a new deal with the expectation that one will get done before next offseason. That means not drafting his potential replacement early in the draft.

If we are planning to just use him for one more season, again just roll with what we have and draft a late round running back. However, the smart move would be to trade him for first-round value, sign a back like Demarco Murray, and maybe draft one early next draft.

And why did we even bother drafting James Conner in the third round last year if we are planning to just give up on him right away and not give him a chance to earn the starting spot? Seems like a complete waste.

Bottom line, I am vehemently opposed to drafting any running back early.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I've already explained time and time again why I would absolutely hate running back any earlier than the fifth round unless we are planning to trade Le'Veon before the season starts. It would be absolutely stupid to let Bell know we have no intention of resigning him. He isn't going to put everything on the field every week and let us run him into the ground like we did last season when he knows we are planning to let him walk next year.

If we truly want to retain him long-term, we need to keep working towards a new deal with the expectation that one will get done before next offseason. That means not drafting his potential replacement early in the draft.

If we are planning to just use him for one more season, again just roll with what we have and draft a late round running back. However, the smart move would be to trade him for first-round value, sign a back like Demarco Murray, and maybe draft one early next draft.

And why did we even bother drafting James Conner in the third round last year if we are planning to just give up on him right away and not give him a chance to earn the starting spot? Seems like a complete waste.

Bottom line, I am vehemently opposed to drafting any running back early.

This would be my strategy. Obviously the FO knows better then we do if they think a long-term deal is possible. If they have a warm and fuzzy that they can get it done then of course no RB is necessary. But from the outside looking in it doesn't appear that way. As far as Conner, he doesn't appear like a 3 down RB imo. I know he's a fan favorite and I get that. But speaking in terms of competition and competition alone, he isn't a top tier guy. I'd trade Bell to a crappy team, get a reasonably high draft pick,  sign a FA and draft Guice/Michel/Johnson/Penny/Kelly/Freeman...etc. Whomever in the 2nd Rd or later. Of course this is easier said then done. 

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Plus it's not like RB's need time to figure out the offense. Usually rookie RB's come in ready to contribute right away. We don't have to draft our RB of the future and give him time to learn, just draft a guy and plug him in. 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

Plus it's not like RB's need time to figure out the offense. Usually rookie RB's come in ready to contribute right away. We don't have to draft our RB of the future and give him time to learn, just draft a guy and plug him in. 

Exactly.

We are in win now mode.    That means, you dont build for the future....you build PRIMARILY for the present.   MEANING, we should be doing everything in our power to win a SB in 2018.  

Like Ive said before, if we are going to draft for the future, just trade Ben and Bell and completely focus on winning long term.     Otherwise, we should be focused on fixing our most dire needs.....which IMO is largely in our LB corps and secondary.  

And before anyone points out that I am in favor of trading Bell, its because of the value I believe we can get for him, the position he plays, and that I think the return could help us return while Ben is still here. 

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Exactly.

We are in win now mode.    That means, you dont build for the future....you build PRIMARILY for the present.   MEANING, we should be doing everything in our power to win a SB in 2018.  

Like Ive said before, if we are going to draft for the future, just trade Ben and Bell and completely focus on winning long term.     Otherwise, we should be focused on fixing our most dire needs.....which IMO is largely in our LB corps and secondary.  

And before anyone points out that I am in favor of trading Bell, its because of the value I believe we can get for him, the position he plays, and that I think the return could help us return while Ben is still here. 

And we've proven to be able to win with Deangelo Williams starting with a much less dynamic offense. 

First, I did not mean to turn this into a RB debate.  I like the strong opinions of you guys, and I feel like it is relevant and brings a lot to this board.

Now, a bit of defense of the pick... I understand all of the arguments.  I really do.  But, here is the reality.  I had a choice at the end of round two.  Reach for Josey Jewell or Micah Kizer, take Kyzir White, or take another position.  I thought about CB's Donte Jackson or Issac Yiadom.  TE was washed out, with Fumagelli and Ian Thomas the next two.  Could have taken OL Orlando Brown or Desmond Harrison.

So, why not shake it up??  Why not take a spot that WILL be an issue in 2019 with an elite 2018 guy??  Let's be honest, as we sit here today, how much would Jewell or Kizer actually play??  Will the snap differential be that different than Chubb??  White might play the most, but now we have two SS types on the roster now.

AAAAnd, EVEN if Bell signs the tag, doesn't retire, whatever... what if he can't make it through the season like two years ago.  We are back to Connor and Ridley.  Now, I like Connor, but can you see him starting in a Super Bowl??  If we are truly looking at BPA, Chubb is that guy at this spot.  Even for this year.

Anyway, on reflection, I could have taken J. Jewell or Micah Kizer at 2, Edmunds at 3, and a running back at 5b.  Someone like the kid from Miami that may can return a bit, or like Akrum Wadley.  But, I stick by the pick.  I would go to bat with Bell and have Chubb as the best #2 in the NFL.  Keep the milage down and use him on pop plays.  You can be creative.  Hell, Bell wants paid as a WR, so use him in the slot more.  There are a million ways to spin this.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And we've proven to be able to win with Deangelo Williams starting with a much less dynamic offense. 

Here's a counter though:

Just because it worked and we were able to win a few, does that mean that it's the right move?  Patriots are 13-6 without Brady, and a less dynamic offense.  Should they trade Brady?

I argue that with how great our line has been lately almost anyone can run and provide production there.  But Bell just adds extra elements that couldn't be replicated all that easily.  The ability in 11 personnel to go open, to tight wouldn't be there without the ability of Bell.  His pass blocking is going to be hard to replace too.  

Can we take a step back and remember that DeAngelo was also a really, really talented running back whos career was completely changed due to injuries?

Its not like we just found a nobody off a scrap pile and that he was only successful because he was on this team. DeAngelo was really good on this team because he was really good.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Can we take a step back and remember that DeAngelo was also a really, really talented running back whos career was completely changed due to injuries?

Its not like we just found a nobody off a scrap pile and that he was only successful because he was on this team. DeAngelo was really good on this team because he was really good.

I'd counter that by saying, Fitzgerald Toussaint ran for 125+ in the one game he started behind our line. That was also an offense that was missing Bryant and AB.

::EDIT:: He did not. I was mistaken. I'll leave this here to show my shame. For shame, MOSteelers56. For shame!

Archived