Comp picks

LoganF89

7 hours ago, Slateman said:

I don't understand why anyone gets excited for these comp picks. They aren't first rounders. It's not like Allen can pick out quality players after Day 1.

1. The Redskins never get these so the novelty is intriguing.
  2. It does in theory give them more chances to make picks (or trade up for other players).
  3. In a perfect world, Moron will be fired and a competent GM will replace him so that the new GM will have more bullets.

40 minutes ago, Woz said:
  2. It does in theory give them more chances to make picks (or trade up for other players).
  3. In a perfect world, Moron will be fired and a competent GM will replace him so that the new GM will have more bullets.

Our previous GM had started a process of trading down each draft to acquire future picks.  In Morons first draft he cashed in all of those chips and didn’t acquire any future picks.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

They get Day 3 picks all the time.

Theory is nice, this is a real world

Moron is never getting fired. They replaced him with a competent GM, and he schemed to get that GM tossed out.

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Our previous GM had started a process of trading down each draft to acquire future picks.  In Morons first draft he cashed in all of those chips and didn’t acquire any future picks.

So, we should have passed on Montae Nicholson and traded down for a future pick? All he did was grade out as bleacher reports 7th best S in the NFL, better than the good but overhyped Swearinger who missed some key open field tackles and blew a handful of coverages during the year.

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

They get Day 3 picks all the time.

Theory is nice, this is a real world

Moron is never getting fired. They replaced him with a competent GM, and he schemed to get that GM tossed out.

It’s like Woz said, an few more bites at the Apple to hit on mid and late round picks doesn’t hurt. Our own FA’s got overpaid on the market by most fans estimations - except for Breeland - so I’ll gladly take a Comp pick back and hope that that player becomes a good back up and maybe develops into a starter after a few years of development.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, we should have passed on Montae Nicholson and traded down for a future pick? All he did was grade out as bleacher reports 7th best S in the NFL, better than the good but overhyped Swearinger who missed some key open field tackles and blew a handful of coverages during the year.

We could have traded down in the 2nd.

So we get nothing for losing our 2014 2nd round pick in Trent Murphy. Spencer Long was a 3rd round pick who now becomes a 5th round pick, Ryan Grant a 5th rounder who becomes a 6th and Niles Paul a 5th rounder who becomes a 7th. The Kirk Cousins situation is pretty horrible only netting us a 3rd round pick considering we got a 4th for Jason Campbell. The fact that Bruce Allen said during his interview on the JP Finlay Podcast that he let these guys go because of the compensatory picks is mind numbing. I like draft choices a lot but are we realistically going to find someone as good as Spencer Long in the 5th round?

And if that truly is the case, why did we run out and pay Richardson? Why not wait and see what receivers get cut i.e. Allen Hurn? He's arguably just as good as Paul Richardson if not better. So we could've had Hurn and a pick in return for Trent Murphy.  

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So we get nothing for losing our 2014 2nd round pick in Trent Murphy. Spencer Long was a 3rd round pick who now becomes a 5th round pick, Ryan Grant a 5th rounder who becomes a 6th and Niles Paul a 5th rounder who becomes a 7th. The Kirk Cousins situation is pretty horrible only netting us a 3rd round pick considering we got a 4th for Jason Campbell. The fact that Bruce Allen said during his interview on the JP Finlay Podcast that he let these guys go because of the compensatory picks is mind numbing. I like draft choices a lot but are we realistically going to find someone as good as Spencer Long in the 5th round?

And if that truly is the case, why did we run out and pay Richardson? Why not wait and see what receivers get cut i.e. Allen Hurn? He's arguably just as good as Paul Richardson if not better. So we could've had Hurn and a pick in return for Trent Murphy.  

The more confusing part is if we were going with this frugal approach to get comp picks then why:

A. Did we need to move on from Cousins for cap reasons?

B. Did we trade for a 34 year old QB since we appear to be rebuilding? 

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So we get nothing for losing our 2014 2nd round pick in Trent Murphy.

We don't get nothing for him; he cancels out the gain of Richardson.

Murphy also never seemed to fit in here. It sucks, but that's the nature of the 3-4.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Spencer Long was a 3rd round pick who now becomes a 5th round pick ... I like draft choices a lot but are we realistically going to find someone as good as Spencer Long in the 5th round?

Long was supposed to become a starting guard (which defaulted to the left side once the Redskins drafted Scherff in the first), but could never beat out Lauvao. He did eventually turn into a decent center, but the Redskins drafted Chase Rouiller who seems like an adequate replacement at C.

This one is a bit odd since they never seemed to fight for Long, even though they had a gaping hole at LG, but I suppose the coaching staff said "eh, we can work with what we have or find someone else."

Still, if the guy isn't fitting into your long term plans, you might as well let him walk and hope for the best. Where I have been angry is on the fact that they haven't bothered to fill the hole vacated by Lauvao and Long. If Orlando Franklin is supposed to be that patch, then say so. It's a bit risky with his play the last couple of years but at least it would say "hey, we've considered the risks and feel that this is the right way to go." I would disagree with them, but at least that would show some respect to the fanbase.

Ryan Grant a 5th rounder who becomes a 6th

Prior to last season, with the exception of maybe turtle, none of us would have predicted that we would have gotten anything for Grant. And I suspect even turtle would admit that he would have never guessed that Grant would get a 3y/$21M contract prior to having it ripped it away by Raven shenanigans.

Niles Paul a 5th rounder who becomes a 7th

Likewise, did we think we would get anything for Paul?

The Kirk Cousins situation is pretty horrible only netting us a 3rd round pick considering we got a 4th for Jason Campbell

This one is the only move they made where they screwed the pooch. The fact it comes at the single most important position with the best player the franchise has had at that position in over 25 years makes it so glaring.

Had they traded Cousins last year for a first this year or something, it would have hurt, but likely the Redskins would have two top 10-ish picks.

The problem is you don't know if a guy like Allen Hurns is going to become available or when. There's a cost to waiting, especially on an unsure thing.

Think of it this way: if they hadn't signed Richardson (and he signed somewhere else) and the Jaguars never cut Hurns, would you be okay getting a 2019 5th with a wide receiver corps of Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Davis, and Harris?

Archived