Comp picks

LoganF89

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

When did the Redskins ever rebuild?  Even when they sucked they spent themselves into the ground and traded away draft picks. 

Haha. This has been asked and answered before. The Redskins have had “their” version of a rebuild several times over the last two decades. Spent themselves into the ground and trading away draft picks? In the Redskins book of history that is known as a rebuild. ;)

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don’t know why don’t you ask the Browns how their rebuilds have gone. ¬¬

For that matter, our rebuilds have been successful in the past too right?

Have we forgotten what it’s like to be successful so much, that at every stumble we want to blow it up and start again?

If/When we make the post-season with Alex Smith, I’m going to be coming (metaphorically) for all the people that wanted to “rebuild”.

ill ask the 49ers and the eagles instead

3 hours ago, Woz said:

They could have simply asked: do you want to be here? If so, negotiate with us. If not, we're going to pursue trade options.

The problem that I saw with the situation was that Gruden always wanted Cousins because he fits what his system is. Allen and Snyder, or whoever made the final decisions on dollar amounts, felt that Cousins was worth X amount of dollars or that he wasn’t “winning when it counted.”

I have supported Kirk since RG3 initially went down. I think he is a heck of a QB. I think his supporting cast here has been average to sub-par his entire career and that he should flourish with the Vikings stacked roster. I probably would have never traded him if I was the GM. I may have even slapped the tag on him a third time just because he was better than what was out there. 

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Honestly, I doubt it would have mattered. It seems like barring a Super Bowl trophy, there was a portion of the fanbase (and I suspect in the owner's box) who would have come up with some other excuse. I say that because it seems to me, no matter what Cousins did, the goal posts moved as to what was "good enough."

I think this statement couldn’t be more true. Cousins did some amazing things during his time here. He had his ups and downs, but our success has a direct link to him.

Unfortunately I think that is the same mentality everyone takes with the franchise. It’s either we are Super Bowl contenders or we should rebuild. We constantly don’t have enough talent, don’t make the right signings and underperform in every facet of the franchise. There is no middle ground or acceptable season record.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

At that exact same time, there were multiple QB options that were known to be available. They all had various pros & cons, but it wasn't like the Redskins were absolutely required to make any moves in January. To their credit, they did so to make sure they got "their guy," but that was never required.

They made the move when they felt they should. If they hadn’t seized the opportunity with Alex Smith, he may be somewhere else.

Absolutely there were other options out there, but obviously the braintrust felt that Alex was the best candidate to replace Kirk. One thing I have liked since the trade was made official was hearing that Alex chose to come here. He wanted to be in Washington.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Question: why couldn't the Redskins in scenario A have made a play for a guy like Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Bradford or even A.J. McCarron? If there was a QB at 13, draft him, but trade down from 13 if they didn't like what was there?

In that scenario, they have their veteran corner in Fuller, their 3rd round pick and more picks beyond that?

Are you comfortable with Teddy’s knees, Sam Bradford’s laundry list of ailments and A.J. McCarron’s lack of starter reps?

If Fuller plays lights out in KC, then good on him. He isn’t going to be playing the slot anymore though. He is a starter in KC now and he may regress. He only had 1 good season.

36 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

ill ask the 49ers and the eagles instead

49ers were terrible for most of the year last year until Jimmy G. Eagles have a superstar in Carson Wentz and a Coach that got the most out their players. That being said, the Eagles turn around is very anomalous. 

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

49ers were terrible for most of the year last year until Jimmy G. Eagles have a superstar in Carson Wentz and a Coach that got the most out their players. That being said, the Eagles turn around is very anomalous. 

It's not as anomalous as you think. It happens. More often within two years than one, but still... But if you are talking SB, then yes.

I think the 1-15 Dolphins made the playoffs the next year. Brees to the Saints if I recall. Luck to the Colts. RG3 to the Redskins. The Chiefs from a couple of years ago. It happens.

Usually someone competent is spearheading it though. 

16 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

They made the move when they felt they should. If they hadn’t seized the opportunity with Alex Smith, he may be somewhere else.

Absolutely there were other options out there, but obviously the braintrust felt that Alex was the best candidate to replace Kirk. One thing I have liked since the trade was made official was hearing that Alex chose to come here. He wanted to be in Washington.

1. Given that Allen apparently went and took all of this on himself and only revealed what he was doing at the very end, I'm not sure this was a "braintrust" kind of collective decision.
  2. I suspect the whole 4y/$96M/$71M guaranteed contract had quite a bit to do with Smith wanting to come to Washington.

Are you comfortable with Teddy’s knees, Sam Bradford’s laundry list of ailments and A.J. McCarron’s lack of starter reps?

It would depend on the contract. Teddy's knees at Smith's contract? Absolutely not. Teddy's knees at 1y/$6M that he got from Buffalo? Absolutely.

As I've said elsewhere, Bradford is the high risk/high reward option. You cannot trust him long term, but for a year or two as a bridge guy? I could roll with that.

If I had to pick one of those guys (and note I left Case Keenum off the list as well), my preference order probably would have been: Bridgewater, Keenum, McCarron, Bradford

If Fuller plays lights out in KC, then good on him. He isn’t going to be playing the slot anymore though. He is a starter in KC now and he may regress. He only had 1 good season.

Out of two seasons. Also, he was only playing the slot because Norman and Breeland had the outside spots. When he was drafted, I believe the plan was to be a hedge against Breeland wanting to get paid. They didn't know Moreau would fall to them the following year.

4 hours ago, Woz said:
  • Given that Allen apparently went and took all of this on himself and only revealed what he was doing at the very end, I'm not sure this was a "braintrust" kind of collective decision.
  • I suspect the whole 4y/$96M/$71M guaranteed contract had quite a bit to do with Smith wanting to come to Washington.

What I read indicated that the Redskins as a whole had a list of QBs they would be interested in, everyone liked Alex Smith, but it was Allen that pulled the trigger to get a deal done. Then he informed the rest. I doubt there was ZERO input from Williams or Gruden on the subject of Alex Smith. But I completely believe Allen was the one who negotiated a trade.

It’s my understanding that the contract would only be negotiated when the details of the trade were agreed upon. So in my my the Chiefs said to Alex, “team 1,2 and 3 are interested in your services. We like all the offers, you choose which one you would like to negotiate a deal with and let’s get this done”

4 hours ago, Woz said:

It would depend on the contract. Teddy's knees at Smith's contract? Absolutely not. Teddy's knees at 1y/$6M that he got from Buffalo? Absolutely.

As I've said elsewhere, Bradford is the high risk/high reward option. You cannot trust him long term, but for a year or two as a bridge guy? I could roll with that.

If I had to pick one of those guys (and note I left Case Keenum off the list as well), my preference order probably would have been: Bridgewater, Keenum, McCarron, Bradford

I don’t trust any of those players long term and imo that’s what we got from Alex, our long term fix. There was an article out recently that said Bradford has received the most money for a no production QB in NFL history.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Out of two seasons. Also, he was only playing the slot because Norman and Breeland had the outside spots. When he was drafted, I believe the plan was to be a hedge against Breeland wanting to get paid. They didn't know Moreau would fall to them the following year.

All I was suggesting was that Fuller should not be crowned yet. If Fuller was better than Breeland, I would have imagined that he would have started outside. I will not be surprised if he struggles as a #1 CB.

Moreau is a complete unknown and i’d imagine because they signed Scandrick, they weren’t comfortable with him in the slot.

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Yet another reason for me to hate Baltimore 

Better solution: don't waste any brain cells or energy thinking about it.

"Oh yeah, that other city nearby ... forgot about them."

• 2 weeks later...

Cousins 3rd

murphy 5th canceled by p Richie 

Long 5th

Grant 6th

Pryor 6th

Paul 7th

Compton 0

breeland ?

gallete ?

so as of now it’s 3,5,6,6,7 I know we are only allowed to get 4 picks so my question is does Paul’s 7th make one of the 6th rounders into a 5th? I’m assuming we get at least another 5th for breeland and gallete possibly a 7th, do the lower picks make any of the top 4 more valuable? I heard somewhere it does but just unsure of how it works

Free Agency frugality got you down? This beautiful chart from the fine folks at (link: http://overthecap.com) overthecap.com should help. Redskins are set to get FOUR compensatory picks next year – a 3rd, 5th, and two 6ths (Pryor signing bumps Niles to a 6th). Meaning we have 11 picks in '19 draft

That’s where I saw they add up but don’t know how it works 

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Free Agency frugality got you down? This beautiful chart from the fine folks at (link: http://overthecap.com) overthecap.com should help. Redskins are set to get FOUR compensatory picks next year – a 3rd, 5th, and two 6ths (Pryor signing bumps Niles to a 6th). Meaning we have 11 picks in '19 draft

That’s where I saw they add up but don’t know how it works 

It is beautiful, we have 11 draft picks in the 2019 draft w/o having to trade down. That’s a beautiful thing. Perhaps we should give Allen, Williams, Schafer, Scott Campbell and Kyle Smith credit for that.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It is beautiful, we have 11 draft picks in the 2019 draft w/o having to trade down. That’s a beautiful thing. Perhaps we should give Allen, Williams, Schafer, Scott Campbell and Kyle Smith credit for that.

Or we can remember that we let the most valuable FA QB since Drew Brees leave for nothing except an end of the round 3 pick.  

Archived