Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

It's Bruce Allen being Bruce Allen. This report coming out after the season is essentially over? Its Allen laying the groundwork through the media. He'll try and make Cousins look like the bad guy. Again. It's another character assassination by Bruce Allen.

It may be, but it’s also conceivable that Pryor talked to some national media about his chemistry/relationship with Kirk and he could have said some things that the reporters are exaggerating. Pryor also has incentive to say bad things about Kirk or his agent to save some face on his disappointing season. If Pryor’s agent plants a seed out there about Kirk not being a leader, not working well with wide receivers and NBC sports runs with it, it makes Kirk look like the scapegoat for Pryor having a bad season.

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

I'm sorry, but no. Cousins best chance is not to win in DC.

Denver: Great defense, top end receivers.

Jacskonville:  They're running 25+ a game because their QB is Blake Borttles. That receiving corps is talented and a good QB would make them shine.

Kansas City: Can opt out of the Alex Smith deal. Cousins is a dramatic improvement.

Arizona: If Palmer retires, Cousins makes them contenders.

New York: Either team would be good. Either team is an improvement over DC

I'd throw in the Steelers if Ben retires after this year. By retiring, Pittsburgh gets back his remaining salary ($24M) and roster bonuses ($10M) because none of that is guaranteed while taking on $12.4M from his signing bonus in dead money so that clears $21.6M in cap. They'd have to make some other moves (like a LTD for Bell versus another tag) but far fewer than KC. Chiefs are already in the red for 2018 cap space (-$2.5M) so dumping Smith only nets about $14.5M.

9 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

I'd throw in the Steelers if Ben retires after this year. By retiring, Pittsburgh gets back his remaining salary ($24M) and roster bonuses ($10M) because none of that is guaranteed while taking on $12.4M from his signing bonus in dead money so that clears $21.6M in cap. They'd have to make some other moves (like a LTD for Bell versus another tag) but far fewer than KC. Chiefs are already in the red for 2018 cap space (-$2.5M) so dumping Smith only nets about $14.5M.

What I wrote was that Pittsburg is the only real fit. Scheme wise they have the type of weapons on offense that fit Kirk’s strengths. I know Denver is talented but their scheme sucks and I believe their coaching staff isn’t going to last. Jacksonville possibly but I just don’t see them dropping 30 or close to 30 mil a year on one player eight he amount of players they will be resigning in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

12 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Is Wilkerson even still good ? 

I mean don't get me wrong the jets must of found ways to win somehow and I would take Wilkerson in a heart beat over McClain and McGee 

He’s good, not great, but if we are losing Kirk I’d rather get a starting DL than just a 3rd round comp pick.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:37 AM, ripsean21 said:

What I wrote was that Pittsburg is the only real fit. Scheme wise they have the type of weapons on offense that fit Kirk’s strengths. I know Denver is talented but their scheme sucks and I believe their coaching staff isn’t going to last. Jacksonville possibly but I just don’t see them dropping 30 or close to 30 mil a year on one player eight he amount of players they will be resigning in the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Qb is the most important position. The jags have done well in the worst division in the nfl. If they want to be a championship contender they need to get an upgrade at qb.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:14 PM, Slateman said:

I'm sorry, but no. Cousins best chance is not to win in DC.

Denver: Great defense, top end receivers.

Jacskonville:  They're running 25+ a game because their QB is Blake Borttles. That receiving corps is talented and a good QB would make them shine.

Kansas City: Can opt out of the Alex Smith deal. Cousins is a dramatic improvement.

Arizona: If Palmer retires, Cousins makes them contenders.

New York: Either team would be good. Either team is an improvement over DC

Denver is going to have a lot of cap casualties after the year if they want to sign Cousins, I'm not sure that roster will be as attractive once that happens. Not to mention you would be signing up to play against Carr and Mahomes the next decade.

Jacksonville is the sexy option but I don't think they shell out $28M for a QB to hand the ball off. They are a team that would be perfect for Eli Manning to go to with his 2 year $33M deal. Lets them resign their key defenders and they can draft a cheap QB to groom either this year or next year.

Kansas City just traded up for Mahomes and they will have no cap space, I'd say there is less than a 0% chance he goes there.

Arizona has a nice roster but will need to make some big cuts to fit Cousins under their cap. Does Cousins want to play in a division with the Seahawks, Rams, and 49ers with Jimmy G?

NYG are interesting, if they get a top 2 pick then no chance they look at Cousins. If they get the third pick then maybe they consider it but then they will likely need to trade OBJ or let him walk. I don't see how they could pay Cousins, JPP, Vernon, Jenkins, and OBJ. This would also put him back in the division with Wentz and Dak who both seem to have teams poised to contend the next 3-5 years.

IMO it comes down to the Bill or the Jets. Both have similar talent pools, but the Jets can offer him far more money. This isn't taking into account the $6M he'd likely make from endorsements coming to NY. The Jets have also tried to trade for Cousins in the past, with Mac and Bowles potentially on the hot seat and the Jets starving for a franchise QB is seems like a match made in heaven. Jets could pay Cousins $40M in year 1 and $35M year 2 and still have $54M in cap space. They won't have to sign anyone to big money until 2020 when Leonard Williams, Robby Anderson, and Jordan Jenkins contracts expire.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:37 PM, Slappy Mc said:

I think the most likely scenario to play out is a "non-exclusive" franchise tag this offseason. Let Kirk "test the market" to see what he can make from other teams. I would say if he gets an offer that he likes, that the Skins can't or don't want to match, let him go and get 2 1sts as compensation. 

If he doesn't get a contract to his liking elsewhere, he may be willing to negotiate a deal here. Then again he may just play out our last chance Franchise tag and enter Free Agency next year. 

With all this being said, I hope Kirk stays in D.C., but if we have to lose him, 2 1sts would soften the blow.

If you franchise Cousins I think there is a strong possibility he opts to play for the $34M tag and then test FA next season. I don't see any team that would give up 2 firsts if they could just wait it out nor do I see Cousins wanting his next team to give up those valuable assets. He plays the most protected position in the NFL so I don't see why his contract next offseason could be any worse than what he'd get this offseason. Why not take $34M guaranteed that is going to be half the money he'd get guaranteed in a new contract this year anyway. He'd have to sustain a massive injury to not be offered at least $30M in guarantees on whatever contract he'd sign in 2019.

Maybe you convince him to look for a trade, I don't think it will be anywhere near a 1st round pick though. It just makes too much sense for Kirk to not look for a trade and collect his $34M, I don't think the Redskins will be willing to do that. 

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Jacksonville is the sexy option but I don't think they shell out $28M for a QB to hand the ball off. They are a team that would be perfect for Eli Manning to go to with his 2 year $33M deal. Lets them resign their key defenders and they can draft a cheap QB to groom either this year or next year.

With that much talent at the receiver position, they stop handing the ball off with Cousins. In fact, they start throwing it 30+ times a game. And go to a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

With that much talent at the receiver position, they stop handing the ball off with Cousins. In fact, they start throwing it 30+ times a game. And go to a Super Bowl.

Yea I think that would be the perfect situation, they just have to be okay will losing a lot of major players on that defense. They are currently $8M over the cap for next year. cutting Bortles will get them up to $10M, you'd think that would be used to sign their draft class. They are going to have to trim a lot of fat unless Cousins is willing to take a cheap deal.

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yea I think that would be the perfect situation, they just have to be okay will losing a lot of major players on that defense. They are currently $8M over the cap for next year. cutting Bortles will get them up to $10M, you'd think that would be used to sign their draft class. They are going to have to trim a lot of fat unless Cousins is willing to take a cheap deal.

If we Transition Tag Cousins (which I think is the most likely case) a cheap deal won't work.  We'd simply match it.  Its going to take someone offering him crazy high up front money for us not to match.  Something like the Jets offer you posted above.  

20 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

By the time they would start losing those players on defense, the Jags will have had multiple shots at a SUper Bowl.

Do you think it's harder to find a Matt Ryan or Russel Wilson type over the Jags defenders?

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If we Transition Tag Cousins (which I think is the most likely case) a cheap deal won't work.  We'd simply match it.  Its going to take someone offering him crazy high up front money for us not to match.  Something like the Jets offer you posted above.  

Jags can always do a poison pill. Been done before.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

By the time they would start losing those players on defense, the Jags will have had multiple shots at a SUper Bowl.

Do you think it's harder to find a Matt Ryan or Russel Wilson type over the Jags defenders?

Jags can always do a poison pill. Been done before.

Poison pill contracts have been banned.  

Also the Jags aren’t in position cap wise to overpay Cousins.

Archived