Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

Just now, mike23md said:

Bortles won another playoff game, so he aint goin to the Jags. 

Minnesota or the Jets, unless its Keenum in the SB. 

Keenum just won a playoff game, highly unlikely he’s at least not franchised let  alone signed long term in Minnesota.

Broncos, Browns, Cardinals or Jets.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Keenum just won a playoff game, highly unlikely he’s at least not franchised let  alone signed long term in Minnesota.

Broncos need to clear out cap room to sign some of their own guys or sign anyone else. That being said, I dont think Cousins goes to Denver because Vance Joseph is on the hot seat and Cousins does not want to go to a non-contender. 

The Browns are likely out of race considering their HC who has 1 game in 32 is still there and is likely to be fired at the end of the 2018 season. So a lot of losing and instability. 

Cardinals just lost Bruce Arians at HC and are likely going to have to rebuild. I dont believe Cousins will go through that. 

The Jets are building something but they need a RB and a legit WR. Plus an offensive line. 

The Jets have the money, but again, the transition tag allows for the Redskins to actually match any offer put forward. It satisfies both parties. It allows Cousins to go out and search the market, but still gives the Redskins a chance to match. 

If he is truly serious about what he said about the Redskins, then he would sign back if they match any offer he gets. The CBA favors the Redskins and the transition tag considering teams cannot use the poison pill of offering him a large contract with so much money up front that the Redskins cannot match. 

Cousins has also stated that he wanted 3 years guaranteed on his contract in which most are 2. He wants the stability. 

If Cousins goes to the Browns, then it was all about the money. No doubt in my mind. 

The only other teams would have been the Niners and the Rams, but they seem to have found their QB's so that excludes them and familiarity with those coaches. 

Ill be surprised if he goes anywhere else than the Jets or Minnesota. 

14 hours ago, mike23md said:

Broncos need to clear out cap room to sign some of their own guys or sign anyone else. That being said, I dont think Cousins goes to Denver because Vance Joseph is on the hot seat and Cousins does not want to go to a non-contender. 

The Browns are likely out of race considering their HC who has 1 game in 32 is still there and is likely to be fired at the end of the 2018 season. So a lot of losing and instability. 

Cardinals just lost Bruce Arians at HC and are likely going to have to rebuild. I dont believe Cousins will go through that. 

The Jets are building something but they need a RB and a legit WR. Plus an offensive line. 

The Jets have the money, but again, the transition tag allows for the Redskins to actually match any offer put forward. It satisfies both parties. It allows Cousins to go out and search the market, but still gives the Redskins a chance to match. 

If he is truly serious about what he said about the Redskins, then he would sign back if they match any offer he gets. The CBA favors the Redskins and the transition tag considering teams cannot use the poison pill of offering him a large contract with so much money up front that the Redskins cannot match. 

Cousins has also stated that he wanted 3 years guaranteed on his contract in which most are 2. He wants the stability. 

If Cousins goes to the Browns, then it was all about the money. No doubt in my mind. 

The only other teams would have been the Niners and the Rams, but they seem to have found their QB's so that excludes them and familiarity with those coaches. 

Ill be surprised if he goes anywhere else than the Jets or Minnesota. 

Yes, Broncos would gladly cut a few players to make around $20 million in cap space. They have been taking about cutting Talib anyways, and they could agree to trade us a player back like Damriyus Thomas or a defender like Brandon Marshall to create cap room for Kirk.

The Browns’ problem the last 3 years was they had s front office that purposely tanked, trading down in the draft and pausing on possible franchise Qbs, trading good and great players away, not re-signing good players and they’ve had injuries to some of their best players.  Hue Jackson runs the same offense that gruden runs, it would be an easy transition and they can pay Kirk the most $.

The cardinals don’t have to rebuild. They have David Johnson coming back, they have a great defense and some talented teceiving targets but they have to draft or sign at least one upgrade at wr if Larry FitzGerald retires or even if he doesn’t. They would have beat us if Palmer was playing instead of Gabbert.

Jeeze Mike23MD! You really could have put the point about he transition tag first, but that’s a risky move. If the Redskins use the transition tag they really have to be sure they want to keep Kirk and that they will match any Kirk offer. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, Broncos would gladly cut a few players to make around $20 million in cap space. They have been taking about cutting Talib anyways, and they could agree to trade us a player back like Damriyus Thomas or a defender like Brandon Marshall to create cap room for Kirk.

The Browns’ problem the last 3 years was they had s front office that purposely tanked, trading down in the draft and pausing on possible franchise Qbs, trading good and great players away, not re-signing good players and they’ve had injuries to some of their best players.  Hue Jackson runs the same offense that gruden runs, it would be an easy transition and they can pay Kirk the most $.

The cardinals don’t have to rebuild. They have David Johnson coming back, they have a great defense and some talented teceiving targets but they have to draft or sign at least one upgrade at wr if Larry FitzGerald retires or even if he doesn’t. They would have beat us if Palmer was playing instead of Gabbert.

Jeeze Mike23MD! You really could have put the point about he transition tag first, but that’s a risky move. If the Redskins use the transition tag they really have to be sure they want to keep Kirk and that they will match any Kirk offer. 

Why would we entertain a trade offer from the Broncos if they indeed land Kirk? Frankly, the coaching gig for Denver is a hot seat and Vance was nearly fired this off season. First off, trading Thomas would cost the Broncos nearly 8M in dead cap and Marshall would cost about the same. If they are deemed post June 1st trades, the numbers go down slightly, but what does that do for us? The Broncos would need to cut or trade those guys to free up room for Cousins prior to June 1st.

Broncos Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $161,359,956
  • Top 51: $158,594,049
  • Team Cap Space: $29,168,245

As it stands, Cousins would not be a Bronco. But, if the Broncos release Talib, that cuts 11M off that number. Which puts them right around 40M. They still need about 5M for draft picks. So ideally, 35M. That is not a lot of wiggle room to pay any other players that the Broncos might want to go after. 

Jets Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $122,399,473
  • Top 51: $118,041,136
  • Team Cap Space: $74,429,406

The Jets are in a far better position. They need offensive line help. They have enough money to spend on that and then some as well as adding top WR's in the draft. If they signed Cousins to AAV of 30M, they would still have enough money left over to sign quality free agents. 

Could we do a franchise and trade? Sure. Wilkerson is the only guy I like on that roster. If he is deemed a June 1st Cut, he only costs 3M against the cap. Prior to that, Wilkerson would cost 17M. 

Vikings Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $134,773,560
  • Top 51: $134,118,744
  • Team Cap Space: $57,052,939

The interesting part of the Vikings is that while they have the cap room, do they spend on the one year wonder in Case Keenum, even with a Lombardi? Or do they go with Mr. Consistency with the higher ceiling and better QB in every aspect with Cousins. They have a running game. Some of the best receivers in the game. A solid TE that can usually stay healthy. And a defense that is nasty. They have the cap room, but do they go away from the guy that got them there or with a guy that might put them over the edge. With all 3 QB's being free agents, anything can happen, and they have the money to get the best QB free agent if he so wishes. 

Cardinals Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $168,963,723
  • Top 51: $168,290,234
  • Team Cap Space: $10,675,564

Carson Palmer is retiring, but he still counts against the cap. That is another 6M. The Cardinals are old. They have some key pieces like David Johnson, Chandler Jones, Tyrann Mathieu, P2, but their offensive line is mediocre, WR's are mediocre aside from Fitz and their defense is declining aside from the few I mentioned. With Bruce Arians retiring, that means a new coach. What that means is turnover and Cousins has stated he wants stability. 

Bills Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $157,219,878
  • Top 51: $138,500,590
  • Team Cap Space: $32,578,305

This is quite interesting in that, the Bills could cut Taylor as a post June 1st. This would give them a cap savings of 15M. Puts their cap number around 47M. While they need to improve their defense, this is the draft to do so and with their picks, they are set up to do so. They traded for KB13 and Jordan Matthews this season, but neither are true #1WR's. With Buffalo's 2 picks in the first round, they could snag one of the top guys easily. 

So take what you will from this reasoning. The logical spots at this point seem to be 1. Vikings, 2. Buffalo, 3. NYJets. 

Cleveland has all the cap room in the world, but would you, as a 30 year old QB who wants to win a SB go to a town that has not won a SB ever and has 1 win in the last 2 seasons with a coach that is more on the hot seat that any other? The Browns would be where his career would die, and I am 99% sure he doesn't want to have that happen. Especially because RGIII went there after he left Washington. He wants to compete and not rebuild. If he goes to Cleveland, it would only be for one reason and one reason only. 

tenor.gif 718.gif

simpsons-mr-burns-smithers-money-fight-13737062870.gif?id=

Great post mike but I still believe if any of those teams want Kirk they will make the room to get him and structure the deal in a way that it works.

I don’t think Minny is an option at all. Kirk may have more natural talent than Keenum but all Keenum dies is make okay# when they need them, he’s clutch and consistent in the clutch. Sadly, as much as I like Kirk I don’t always believe he’ll make plays like Keenum did yesterday ay the end of the game or even attempt some of the passes Keenum did. 

Kirk seems to still have the afraid to fail gene which he developed his first season starting when he had back to back 4 and 5 int games. Minny is going to either franchise Keenum or sign him long term to a big deal.

Also, Ben is old, Flacco is old - they’ll be retiring soon - the Bengals have to rebuild some on OL & D.cle has a great new front office group, they’re poised to head in the right direction.  I’d rather have their front office than ours. Cle has a lot of young talent - as do the Redskins and we’re still rebuilding - and they have two high picks.  Kirk going to the Browns is not the same as RG3 going there. They have two talented wrs, a talented TE, an all-pro LT, a good RBC and few other good OL. If Kirk goes to Cle and helps them a playoff team he’ll be a god.

The Browns get a qb and keep these young players they’ll be a team on the rise in a few years, mark my words.

On 1/14/2018 at 8:49 PM, turtle28 said:

Nah keep the Jaguars on the list . They still would take a chance at Kirk cousins if they know a better qb play wins them a SB.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:30 PM, mike23md said:

Why would we entertain a trade offer from the Broncos if they indeed land Kirk? Frankly, the coaching gig for Denver is a hot seat and Vance was nearly fired this off season. First off, trading Thomas would cost the Broncos nearly 8M in dead cap and Marshall would cost about the same. If they are deemed post June 1st trades, the numbers go down slightly, but what does that do for us? The Broncos would need to cut or trade those guys to free up room for Cousins prior to June 1st.

Broncos Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $161,359,956
  • Top 51: $158,594,049
  • Team Cap Space: $29,168,245

As it stands, Cousins would not be a Bronco. But, if the Broncos release Talib, that cuts 11M off that number. Which puts them right around 40M. They still need about 5M for draft picks. So ideally, 35M. That is not a lot of wiggle room to pay any other players that the Broncos might want to go after. 

Jets Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $122,399,473
  • Top 51: $118,041,136
  • Team Cap Space: $74,429,406

The Jets are in a far better position. They need offensive line help. They have enough money to spend on that and then some as well as adding top WR's in the draft. If they signed Cousins to AAV of 30M, they would still have enough money left over to sign quality free agents. 

Could we do a franchise and trade? Sure. Wilkerson is the only guy I like on that roster. If he is deemed a June 1st Cut, he only costs 3M against the cap. Prior to that, Wilkerson would cost 17M. 

Vikings Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $134,773,560
  • Top 51: $134,118,744
  • Team Cap Space: $57,052,939

The interesting part of the Vikings is that while they have the cap room, do they spend on the one year wonder in Case Keenum, even with a Lombardi? Or do they go with Mr. Consistency with the higher ceiling and better QB in every aspect with Cousins. They have a running game. Some of the best receivers in the game. A solid TE that can usually stay healthy. And a defense that is nasty. They have the cap room, but do they go away from the guy that got them there or with a guy that might put them over the edge. With all 3 QB's being free agents, anything can happen, and they have the money to get the best QB free agent if he so wishes. 

Cardinals Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $168,963,723
  • Top 51: $168,290,234
  • Team Cap Space: $10,675,564

Carson Palmer is retiring, but he still counts against the cap. That is another 6M. The Cardinals are old. They have some key pieces like David Johnson, Chandler Jones, Tyrann Mathieu, P2, but their offensive line is mediocre, WR's are mediocre aside from Fitz and their defense is declining aside from the few I mentioned. With Bruce Arians retiring, that means a new coach. What that means is turnover and Cousins has stated he wants stability. 

Bills Salary Cap Page

• Total Cap Liabilities: $157,219,878
  • Top 51: $138,500,590
  • Team Cap Space: $32,578,305

This is quite interesting in that, the Bills could cut Taylor as a post June 1st. This would give them a cap savings of 15M. Puts their cap number around 47M. While they need to improve their defense, this is the draft to do so and with their picks, they are set up to do so. They traded for KB13 and Jordan Matthews this season, but neither are true #1WR's. With Buffalo's 2 picks in the first round, they could snag one of the top guys easily. 

So take what you will from this reasoning. The logical spots at this point seem to be 1. Vikings, 2. Buffalo, 3. NYJets. 

Cleveland has all the cap room in the world, but would you, as a 30 year old QB who wants to win a SB go to a town that has not won a SB ever and has 1 win in the last 2 seasons with a coach that is more on the hot seat that any other? The Browns would be where his career would die, and I am 99% sure he doesn't want to have that happen. Especially because RGIII went there after he left Washington. He wants to compete and not rebuild. If he goes to Cleveland, it would only be for one reason and one reason only. 

tenor.gif 718.gif

simpsons-mr-burns-smithers-money-fight-13737062870.gif?id=

Good post but where's the Browns on this list ?

One thing also the Broncos possibly cut Thomas . He's 30 years old and had tons of drops I think they save 6 mil if he's cut .

honestly Kirk should stay man .. Denver older now . The jets would only sign him unless they have a game plan to improve the offense . But if Kirk is about money than there's 0 chance he's back because the Browns and jets will give him cash . If he's about winning than jags redskins and Broncos is his teams .

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/19/scot-mccloughan-on-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-i-dont-see-special/

Just what I think.. You can't pay a king's ransom for less than "Special". Sounds like McGlue would let him walk and draft Mayfiled.. 

The problem is there's nothing "special" about the guy that will be choosing his replacement if he leaves.  

Also here's the entire quote:

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Redskins offensive coordinator-turned-Los Angeles Rams Coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building, he’s always watching tape, he’s always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

20 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/19/scot-mccloughan-on-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-i-dont-see-special/

Just what I think.. You can't pay a king's ransom for less than "Special". Sounds like McGlue would let him walk and draft Mayfiled.. 

Read the whole thing. He may not be special, but he's talented. McCloughan's word is not golden and sometimes I have disagreed with him. Matt Jones anyone.

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Oh yes there is -- Way way cheaper leaves money for good players .

You think there's something special about Bruce Allen?  

I would be much more willing to do this whole rebuild situation if we had someone else in charge of it.  

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Good post but where's the Browns on this list ?

One thing also the Broncos possibly cut Thomas . He's 30 years old and had tons of drops I think they save 6 mil if he's cut .

honestly Kirk should stay man .. Denver older now . The jets would only sign him unless they have a game plan to improve the offense . But if Kirk is about money than there's 0 chance he's back because the Browns and jets will give him cash . If he's about winning than jags redskins and Broncos is his teams .

If you read the post, you see where I discuss Cleveland. They can afford him, but I cant see him going there based on the Browns resume as a franchise and as a team the last 2 seasons. It would kill Cousins career. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

If you read the post, you see where I discuss Cleveland. They can afford him, but I cant see him going there based on the Browns resume as a franchise and as a team the last 2 seasons. It would kill Cousins career. 

I didnt read all of it that's my fault s . Yes the Browns have tons of caps but lol dude what makes you think he wouldn't go .

People will sacrifice legacy for financial wealth .

Archived