Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just because they keep stats on it doesn' mean squat. 

2016, Kirk play lights out against Dallas on Thanksgiving. The defense and ST gives the game away.

Same year, he runs it in for the go ahead TD with a minute to play against the Lions. The defense gives up the game.

So Kirk takes an L on those? That's ok by you?

Yes, because that comes with the position of Quarterback. You tell me that Quarterbacks don't shoulder more responsibility than any other position in football? When a team loses the game who do they talk to? The coach and the quarterback.

Maybe you should be protesting that players of other positions don't take Ls and get Ws. 

I could argue in both of those games that you are discussing that the Quarterback of the other team went out there and earned the W. Especially in the Lions game. Matthew Stafford picked us apart en route to his game winning TD pass to Boldin.

Just now, e16bball said:

Per CBS Sports, there were at least 6 other teams involved in the bidding for Smith. Had we called their “bluff,” they wouldn’t have been forced to cut him, making him available for us to sign freely. They could (and would) have simply traded him to someone else for a marginally lesser offer.

I'm pretty sure (but cannot prove) that the Chiefs used the Redskins offer to drum up other offers. So, the fact there were six teams negotiating for Smith at the end doesn't really impress me.

Just now, e16bball said:

But there was no scenario where the Redskins could have gotten Alex Smith if they’d just had the steely nerve to stare down the Chiefs and force them to cut him. He was getting traded, it was just a question of to whom. 

Not sure I agree with this (again, I'm not certain there was a market until the Redskins helped create it). In any event, it is what it is.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not gonna judge him on W/L. But on His performance in those W/L

So if he plays well in every game and this team loses more than 50% of our games, you are trying to say you won't be calling for his head... C'Mon Man!

giphy.gif

Not big on judging a QB on team stats... and they are all team stats in this team game. 

That said, being a top 5 quarterback in win % over a stretch of SEVERAL years is more than dumb luck. Smith really is the Rodney Dangerfield of all quarterbacks, lolz. I'm glad that he has absolutely nothing to do with social media. 

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yes, because that comes with the position of Quarterback. You tell me that Quarterbacks don't shoulder more responsibility than any other position in football? When a team loses the game who do they talk to? The coach and the quarterback.

Maybe you should be protesting that players of other positions don't take Ls and get Ws. 

I could argue in both of those games that you are discussing that the Quarterback of the other team went out there and earned the W. Especially in the Lions game. Matthew Stafford picked us apart en route to his game winning TD pass to Boldin.

This is idiotic IMHO.

Listen, if you want to judge a QB by how well he does and also how well the offense does, I'm on board. Because st least, you can argue, the offense flows through him.

But the QB doesn't play defense. They don't kick Field goals (and miss chip shots).

The QB has nothing to do with the D and ST. 

The coach does. W/L are a coaching stat.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s going to have to do a lot more than do “well” to make this trade worth it.  

So what would a rookie or another FA have to do to make their signing worth it.

Lets face it, with what we currently have on our roster (Colt McCoy) this team would win maybe 1-2 games. A winning QB was absolutely necessary. You roll the dice on a rookie QB, you better be taking him early if you are planning on starting him. What happens if he doesn't pan out. Everyone is hung up on losing Kendall Fuller. I get it, it sucks to lose a young talented player. But think of it this way, we opted to let a 4th round QB who overplayed his draft position walk away and not pay him any more than he has already pilfered. We traded 2 3rd round picks (one that has proven to be pretty good and one unknown) for a known commodity at the NFLs most important position. And we got that player at a significantly reduced rate than what we would have gotten with our previous 4th round over achiever. 

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

So what would a rookie or another FA have to do to make their signing worth it.

Lets face it, with what we currently have on our roster (Colt McCoy) this team would win maybe 1-2 games. A winning QB was absolutely necessary. You roll the dice on a rookie QB, you better be taking him early if you are planning on starting him. What happens if he doesn't pan out. Everyone is hung up on losing Kendall Fuller. I get it, it sucks to lose a young talented player. But think of it this way, we opted to let a 4th round QB who overplayed his draft position walk away and not pay him any more than he has already pilfered. We traded 2 3rd round picks (one that has proven to be pretty good and one unknown) for a known commodity at the NFLs most important position. And we got that player at a significantly reduced rate than what we would have gotten with our previous 4th round over achiever. 

Absolutely necessary for what? What are you realistically expecting to happen with Alex Smith, no running game and a bad defense? I mean seriously? 

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

You can't wait until the new league starts if you wanted a certain qb , your competition for that players services only cost more each time another team gets in a bidding war.

Prior to trading for Smith, the transition tag was a viable option. Yes, even the franchise tag would have been realistic (they did have nearly $50M in space). Once they traded for Smith, that evaporated.

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

You think the Jets, Minnesota or Denver don't wish the other didnt want Cousins ? Your only kidding yourself with an unrealistic perception.

And in trading for Smith, the tag/trade scenario left the building.

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

We had to give up fuller for smith and a 3rd.

No, we did not. While they are not great options, there are other options on the market: Sam Bradford (major injury risk, but talented), Teddy Bridgewater (can he replicate what he did back in 2014 and 2015?), Case Keenum (was it a one year wonder? probably, but it's an option). What about A.J. McCarron? None of these are "WOW! WHAT A SIGNING!" moves, but they are arguably better than gutting depth and talent.

Even if all of the above didn't want to come, they could have gone with McCoy and stunk up the joint. Or go grab the overused bandaid of Josh McCown. They could have drafted a QB at 13.

There were other options. The Redskins just chose the most expensive non-Cousins one for the franchise as a whole.

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

What if Minnesota or Denver are left out of Cousins sweepstakes?

I suspect that if the Vikings feel the contract for Cousins is too expensive, they'll tag Bridgewater or Keenum (whichever they like better). I could see the Broncos either plan to take a QB at 5 or maybe pick up whatever the Vikings don't select.

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

I bet they give up a lot more than we did to move up in the draft for a qb.

The Vikings wouldn't move up; they'd franchise one of their own QBs. The Broncos are already picking 5th, so it's not like they have to go that much higher.

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

That's scarier than what we did for Smith. We learned our lesson from RG3 trade, it still haunts us. 

Did they now? They traded for a QB.

No, they didn't trade up into the top of the draft, but this is the draft where there look to be a lot of decent QBs available in the first. They could have easily stayed put and drafted a QB if they didn't like any of the free agent options.

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

Also Bridgewater and Keenum for Minnesota are not guaranteed to want to come back there after the push the vikes are making for Cousins. I bet they won't feel truly wanted and we know how butt hurt a player can be if they don't feel wanted.

They weren't the only options.

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

To end this saga it's good to know we're ending our nightmare and some teams are just beginning theirs.

May this turn out to be true.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is idiotic IMHO.

Listen, if you want to judge a QB by how well he does and also how well the offense does, I'm on board. Because st least, you can argue, the offense flows through him.

But the QB doesn't play defense. They don't kick Field goals (and miss chip shots).

The QB has nothing to do with the D and ST. 

The coach does. W/L are a coaching stat.

So now you have gone from w/l being a team stat to a coach stat. Look, if I am paying a player millions of dollars to play the most important position on the team, you're darn right I am going to hold him responsible for wins and losses. It really isn't that hard or a concept. Of course some things are out of their control, but if the team wins and the QB does poorly, he still gets the W. If he plays well and the team loses, he shoulders the loss. Every single QB does this. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Absolutely necessary for what? What are you realistically expecting to happen with Alex Smith, no running game and a bad defense? I mean seriously? 

I'm glad to see your optimism for the season is all but gone. You might as well phone in your fanhood for the season too.

There is no chance that the team could improve on last year when we had significant players on IR. God forbid we have a healthy season and see what the team could actually do.

If you want the Redskins to be perennial bottom dwellers or to have them continue to hit the freaking reset button every 2-3 years than, I feel sorry for you. I absolutely think this team is trending upward, yes with Alex Smith.

The necessity to have a capable starting QB in the NFL is huge. Maybe you don't remember Jason Campbell, John Beck, Patrick Ramsey or Donovan McNabb, but I do. I do not want to be a bottom dweller and I LOVE that they made this trade, because to me, that meant they didn't want to be either.

It is unbelievable to me that after all these years Daniel Snyder can make these same moves and you guys still fall for it...Seriously this is Brunell and McNabb all over again. It's like a cheating girlfriend that you keep going back to. "This time it will be different".

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

So now you have gone from w/l being a team stat to a coach stat. Look, if I am paying a player millions of dollars to play the most important position on the team, you're darn right I am going to hold him responsible for wins and losses. It really isn't that hard or a concept. Of course some things are out of their control, but if the team wins and the QB does poorly, he still gets the W. If he plays well and the team loses, he shoulders the loss. Every single QB does this. 

I'm glad to see your optimism for the season is all but gone. You might as well phone in your fanhood for the season too.

There is no chance that the team could improve on last year when we had significant players on IR. God forbid we have a healthy season and see what the team could actually do.

If you want the Redskins to be perennial bottom dwellers or to have them continue to hit the freaking reset button every 2-3 years than, I feel sorry for you. I absolutely think this team is trending upward, yes with Alex Smith.

The necessity to have a capable starting QB in the NFL is huge. Maybe you don't remember Jason Campbell, John Beck, Patrick Ramsey or Donovan McNabb, but I do. I do not want to be a bottom dweller and I LOVE that they made this trade, because to me, that meant they didn't want to be either.

There is literally no chance the team can improve with a worse QB, worse defense and unwillingness to spend money in free agency. How some of you guys can look at what Alex Smith is or has done and see him as a step up is beyond me?

Just now, lavar703 said:

It is unbelievable to me that after all these years Daniel Snyder can make these same moves and you guys still fall for it...Seriously this is Brunell and McNabb all over again. It's like a cheating girlfriend that you keep going back to. "This time it will be different".

If you believe the team is doomed and it makes you this miserable.. why stick around? Find something better to do with your time? 

Why go to a party, if you know it's going to suck for you? Just stay home.. instead of going to the party.. urinating in the punch bowl.. and yelling through a bullhorn about how the party sucks. 

Save yourself the time, and save us all from your defeated mood. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

There is literally no chance the team can improve with a worse QB, worse defense and unwillingness to spend money in free agency. How some of you guys can look at what Alex Smith is or has done and see him as a step up is beyond me?

Only time will tell whether or not we have a "worse QB, an unwillingness to spend money in free agency and a worse defense." I absolutely see them improving next year, but hey I am the crazy one here that still likes my team.

Quite frankly all you that complain that this team is headed no where and how burnt you are on the franchise, should go back to the Cave that was created for you.

You don't want to spend money on the team? Don't. You don't want to root for a specific player? Don't. Heck if you didn't want to post the negativity around the forum, trying to bring others who try to remain optimistic down, I won't stop you. 

If you want a dose of positive vibes, I got you covered. Don't let the Dan get you down. It could be a lot worse.

giphy.gif 

Keep your head up!

Archived