Kenrik

Brett Hundley

Post 2nd Preseason: Late 3rd-4th
Post 1st Preseason: 6th-7th
Pre-Preseason: 4th-5th
Post Week 7: 12 Pack
Drafted: 5th Round(#147) 2015
Born: June 15, 1993 (age 24)

Hundley is in the 3rd year of his 4 year deal, this upcoming draft is stacked with QBs at the moment, and Hundley won't be resigning. Is the best case scenario that Hundley tears up this preseason and Ted trades him before the season starts for a high draft pick or a player of need. I just thought Hundley would be a good option for Miami at this time but his value isn't high because lack of tape this past year. 

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $2,503,633 SIGNING BONUS$223,633 AVERAGE SALARY$625,908 GTD AT SIGN:$223,633 TOTAL GTD:$223,633 FREE AGENT:2019 / UFA

b99659908z.1_20160129131727_000_gr2e96ku

I was literally just thinking about making a thread for this considering the situation the Dolphins find themselves in.  Hundley's trade value is higher than a 4th round pick.  With players like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins coming into today's NFL as lower picks, teams will be less reluctant to give out high draft picks for high potential, and Hundley's potential is brimming.  In 2015, he was the highest rated QB in preseason action.  He completed 69.2 percent of his passes for 630 yards, 7 touchdowns, 1 interception and a QB rating of 129.6. 

I don't think we'd trade him this year even though I wish we would (more for the Dolphins sake than ours).  He's nice as a backup, but I don't like counting on players missing time, and if it's an extended period of time it won't really matter anyway.  If Sam Bradford could net a first round pick, I think at the very least Hundley could get us a second round pick if he has another strong preseason this year.  I'm hoping he gets traded to the Jets, Browns or Dolphins because I believe Hundley is going to be a top 20 starting QB at the least, and I want him to be successful, but in the AFC. 

Based on his preseason, it's  higher than the original draft position, but I don't know that teams would be willing to do the Matt Schaub deal (two seconds) at the current point in time without another stout preseason performance and a major injury. I think a third with a conditional attached isn't the craziest notion out there. 

The problem is, I don't know where you're going to get the interest from a lot of teams. If you're the Dolphins, a team with playoff aspirations, the answer for a Tannehill replacement probably doesn't get to an unknown quantity that would cost draft capital until quite a bit down the line. A guy like Cutler would seem to make more sense, as he's worked with Gase, but would be a short term solution for a team that only needs a quarterback temporarily since it has Tannehill under contract. Teams that are rebuilding, such as the Jets / 49ers / etc aren't likely to give up the capital either unless they are big believers in Hundley, but I don't know if there has been enough out there to be that big of a supporter of him - it would make more sense for them to draft a guy this year or maybe sign Jimmy G. If you're looking at guys like this, I think people would look at McCarron before Hundley. 

So while I think his value has appreciated since being selected, I just don't know who's going to give the return for him. 

I'm thinking he will be a Cardinal next season.

Dolphins and Gase appear committed to Tannehill for the long term.  

Knowing GB, my guess would be that they have told Hundley he will be traded at some point and time and that he will be able to tell them where he'd like to go.

Arizona just kind of makes sense to me.  They will win enough games to not get one of the top QB's, without a trade up.  Palmer is getting up there in age.  Same with Fitz.  May be a nice time to rebuild with Johnson in the backfield with Hundley.

That being said, even if he tears it up this pre-season, I think his value is a third round pick, and if I'm being fair, probably more like a fourth.

I'm rooting for the kid, from all accounts of what I've heard around GB, he's a very good kid.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I'm thinking he will be a Cardinal next season.

Dolphins and Gase appear committed to Tannehill for the long term. 

I think if Tannehill's season is done, Tannehill's time in Miami is done.  He's already 29 years old.  It will have been two consecutive seasons missed due to a knee injury.  There is a potential out in his contract after this year which would save 39.5 million at a dead cap of 4.6 million.  In 2018, 2019 and 2020 his contract base salary would be 18.4 million, 18.7 million and then 19.5 million. 

The Cardinals make sense, but they don't make sense since they're in our conference.  I doubt very much the Packers would do that.  We did it in the same division with Hasselback, but I don't think we'd do it now, especially considering two playoff losses against Arizona in Aaron's time here.  As POSSIBLE trade candidates go, not necessarily likely, I see the following teams:

Broncos, Chargers, Browns, Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars. 

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think if Tannehill's season is done, Tannehill's time in Miami is done.  He's already 29 years old.  It will have been two consecutive seasons missed due to a knee injury.  There is a potential out in his contract after this year which would save 39.5 million at a dead cap of 4.6 million.  In 2018, 2019 and 2020 his contract base salary would be 18.4 million, 18.7 million and then 19.5 million. 

The Cardinals make sense, but they don't make sense since they're in our conference.  I doubt very much the Packers would do that.  We did it in the same division with Hasselback, but I don't think we'd do it now, especially considering two playoff losses against Arizona in Aaron's time here.  As POSSIBLE trade candidates go, not necessarily likely, I see the following teams:

Broncos, Chargers, Browns, Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars. 

From the ears that I have around Lambeau...Hundley likes Arizona.  More importantly, so does his wife.  If it is true that the team will work with him concerning the trade, that is why I thought Arizona fits for him.

Not taking anything away from the other teams, but the Broncos invested a first round pick in Paxton Lynch.  I doubt they bring in Hundley just because of him.  Kizer just got drafted by Cleveland and from all accounts, he's impressing them.  Bills make sense, unless you want to say that they invested in Hackenberg.  But I think that is a possibility, but not likely IF Hundley has a say in where he goes. 

Jags make more sense.  And even more after every Bortles INT.

Chargers, I can see that one, just like Arizona.  Better weather, better team, aging QB.

From what I've heard, concerning the Dolphins, Gase loves Tannehill.  And Tannehill missed 4 games last year, not the entire season.  And he chose not to have the surgery, and as we can see, that was probably a mistake.  If Hundley is in, Tannehill is gone.  I'm not saying that Hundley wouldn't be better, but I am saying from what I've heard, that is a long shot.  Although not as long of a shot as Kaepernick over there.  Apparently wearing that Castro shirt and supporting his views hasn't gone over very well with the Cuban-Americans there.

It'll be fun to watch this thread as Hundley's eventual trade happens.  Whatever happens, I'm a fan of the kid. 

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I guess I'm just hoping we don't go in conference.  I think he's going to be a good one, and I don't want us to have to play against him. 

I very much get that line of thinking.  

I thought you brought up a great option in the Bills, but if what I hear is true, that Hundley does has some say over where he goes, I doubt that he or his wife would like Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So while I think his value has appreciated since being selected, I just don't know who's going to give the return for him. 

There's no doubt that Hundley's value has gone up, it's just a matter of how much his value has gone up.  If the Packers offered him up for a 5th round pick, there's little doubt in my mind that multiple teams would make that gamble.  If they asked for a 4th round pick, I'd venture to guess there would be at least a couple of teams interested.  After that, it becomes a bit murkier.  A few preseasons ago, Hundley lit up the Saints going 16-23 for 236 passing yards and 4 TD with 0 INT.  Obviously, that's the only real notable play he has had since he most of the last preseason with an injury.  That's why this preseason is going to be crucial for him in terms of his trade value.  I think a team could be willing to do a Matt Schaub-like deal if the balls out in the preseason.

Just now, CWood21 said:

There's no doubt that Hundley's value has gone up, it's just a matter of how much his value has gone up.  If the Packers offered him up for a 5th round pick, there's little doubt in my mind that multiple teams would make that gamble.  If they asked for a 4th round pick, I'd venture to guess there would be at least a couple of teams interested.  After that, it becomes a bit murkier.  A few preseasons ago, Hundley lit up the Saints going 16-23 for 236 passing yards and 4 TD with 0 INT.  Obviously, that's the only real notable play he has had since he most of the last preseason with an injury.  That's why this preseason is going to be crucial for him in terms of his trade value.  I think a team could be willing to do a Matt Schaub-like deal if the balls out in the preseason.

I agree in that this preseason would be vital. If he balls out, would you view a trade as being more likely this year, or after the season is over and we are into the offseason? For some reason, I feel like that is the more likely outcome, even though he'd be going into the last year of his deal. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

While I agree that his value could go higher with a solid preseason, assuming GB holds onto him for the full 2017, a team is going to be trading for a QB in the last year of his rookie deal.  That can also reduce his trade value.  Preseason performance only with only 1 year on rookie contract.  Good rookie QB class for 2018, McCarron, Garoppolo also on expiring rookie deals.  I think the highest Hundley would fetch is a 3rd....unless something drastically changes and he gets regular season snaps with an injured Rodgers and plays like Garoppolo did last season.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree in that this preseason would be vital. If he balls out, would you view a trade as being more likely this year, or after the season is over and we are into the offseason? For some reason, I feel like that is the more likely outcome, even though he'd be going into the last year of his deal. 

I think it's far more likely that he gets dealt next offseason than the end of the preseason.  Teams are going to want to get him exposed to their playbook as long as possible so unless he's traded within the next week or so, I'd imagine he's going to be a Packers for this season.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

While I agree that his value could go higher with a solid preseason, assuming GB holds onto him for the full 2017, a team is going to be trading for a QB in the last year of his rookie deal.  That can also reduce his trade value.  Preseason performance only with only 1 year on rookie contract.  Good rookie QB class for 2018, McCarron, Garoppolo also on expiring rookie deals.  I think the highest Hundley would fetch is a 3rd....unless something drastically changes and he gets regular season snaps with an injured Rodgers and plays like Garoppolo did last season.

There's also the franchise tag that another team that relies on, but if a team is willing to cough up for Hundley it's probably going to entail an extension to go along with it.  And I'm not sure Garoppolo ends up leaving New England so I'm not sure I'd count on that.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's also the franchise tag that another team that relies on, but if a team is willing to cough up for Hundley it's probably going to entail an extension to go along with it.  And I'm not sure Garoppolo ends up leaving New England so I'm not sure I'd count on that.

So a team is going to trade for Hundley and sign him to an extension without him having played for them.    Certainly is an option, just not something I would see as being very realistic.  

Archived