Brett Hundley Value Thread

Kenrik

As far as I'm concerned, his value is nothing. He will gain value to other teams if he plays games in the regular season. Until then, why would a team trade draft capital for someone who will be a FA in 19 months and be able to sign on a cheap deal? And if they did offer a 5th, why would we take that. I'm sure TT would rather have a competent backup for 2 seasons over a 5th round pick in 2019. 

10 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

As far as I'm concerned, his value is nothing. He will gain value to other teams if he plays games in the regular season. Until then, why would a team trade draft capital for someone who will be a FA in 19 months and be able to sign on a cheap deal? And if they did offer a 5th, why would we take that. I'm sure TT would rather have a competent backup for 2 seasons over a 5th round pick in 2019. 

Agreed. 

I agree with your line of thinking.  Competent backup over a mid round pick.

Not for this year, but for next year, I'm guessing Callahan is the competent backup that you speak of.  I think the staff really likes him. 

The curious thing that hasn't been mentioned is the comp pick for Hundley when he leaves and if he is not traded.  Why trade for a 4'th or 5'th in the offseason when you are probably going to get that in return when he leaves anyway?

I hadn't thought about that one yet.  There would almost certainly be a comp pick coming back for him.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with your line of thinking.  Competent backup over a mid round pick.

Not for this year, but for next year, I'm guessing Callahan is the competent backup that you speak of.  I think the staff really likes him. 

The curious thing that hasn't been mentioned is the comp pick for Hundley when he leaves and if he is not traded.  Why trade for a 4'th or 5'th in the offseason when you are probably going to get that in return when he leaves anyway?

I hadn't thought about that one yet.  There would almost certainly be a comp pick coming back for him.

If 12 stays healthy the next 2 years, we are not getting any sort of compensation for Hundley when he leaves. He won't get a deal big enough to generate a comp pick

To expand on the first point though, at least from what I've seen, Callahan would be a competent backup. It's too early in his career to tell, but Callahan will probably have a nice career as a journeyman backup/3rd string QB. Hundley has the potential to be a starter, and with his contract, I feel better knowing we have Hundley if 2013 happens again. 

25 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

If 12 stays healthy the next 2 years, we are not getting any sort of compensation for Hundley when he leaves. He won't get a deal big enough to generate a comp pick

To expand on the first point though, at least from what I've seen, Callahan would be a competent backup. It's too early in his career to tell, but Callahan will probably have a nice career as a journeyman backup/3rd string QB. Hundley has the potential to be a starter, and with his contract, I feel better knowing we have Hundley if 2013 happens again. 

I think there could be a comp pick for Hundley, if he plays well in the pre season games.  His contract would be high enough to get something.  

But you are very right, if #12 goes down and he has to play?  Then his value increases greatly.  I really hope we never find out!

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I think there could be a comp pick for Hundley, if he plays well in the pre season games.  His contract would be high enough to get something.  

But you are very right, if #12 goes down and he has to play?  Then his value increases greatly.  I really hope we never find out!

Just a quick look at the charts show that $1.1-$3MM AAV is the range for a 7th round comp pick. So we may get a 7th round pick out of him. wooo

I'm thinking that he gets offers much better than that.  Look into the crystal ball and there are some good quarterbacks that could age quickly.  Palmer.  Rivers.  Manning.  Rothlisberger.  Brees.

And when they slide, I think they will still win enough games to not have a shot at the elite QB's in the draft.  Getting a groomed kid like Hundley would be pretty enticing for teams like that who don't want to rebuild when their franchise QB slows down.

And I'll freely admit, it is tough looking that far out.  The point is, if Hundley stays, we likely get something for him.  You kind of have to weigh the value of him on the roster and that lower comp pick versus him not on the roster and a higher pick back via trade.  

Lots of scenarios out there for him.  Truly wish the kid the best.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm thinking that he gets offers much better than that.  Look into the crystal ball and there are some good quarterbacks that could age quickly.  Palmer.  Rivers.  Manning.  Rothlisberger.  Brees.

And when they slide, I think they will still win enough games to not have a shot at the elite QB's in the draft.  Getting a groomed kid like Hundley would be pretty enticing for teams like that who don't want to rebuild when their franchise QB slows down.

And I'll freely admit, it is tough looking that far out.  The point is, if Hundley stays, we likely get something for him.  You kind of have to weigh the value of him on the roster and that lower comp pick versus him not on the roster and a higher pick back via trade.  

You may be right, but I'll just look at the 2013 QBs and what they signed for this offseason.

Landry Jones 2 year $4.4MM
Matt Barkley signed a 2 year $4MM 
Geno Smith 1 year $1.2MM. 

Hundley's potential may be higher, but I can see him taking a 1 year $2MM deal somewhere if he doesn't end up playing in the next 2 seasons. 

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

NYG just drafted Davis Webb

Pitt just drafts Josh Dobbs

I get your thinking and pojnt, but some of those teams already have a development QB in their system.  That Lessens the chances of them giving up more for another unknown.  

Hundley's claim is a good/great preseason game against a very bad defense.  He needs to show a lot more for his value to increase.

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

So a team is going to trade for Hundley and sign him to an extension without him having played for them.    Certainly is an option, just not something I would see as being very realistic.  

Absolutely.  You don't trade what it'd take for the Packers to move him without securing him beyond the one year left on his contract.  The Texans traded for Matt Schaub on March 8th, and signed him to a long term deal on March 22nd.  The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith on February 27th, 2013 and signed him to a long term deal on August 31, 2014.  There's history of it.

7 hours ago, CentralFC said:

99.9% sure we all need to wait until we see a little more game action. He was robbed last season. He has an opportunity for himself and this organization in August. 

I think that goes without saying...

It's already too late to deal him this year. Pump up his value in the preseason, let the rumors of him being great and available and all he's learned from Rodgers and McCarthy and blah blah blah and see what some mismanaged dumpster fire of an organization serves up.

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

If he plays well this summer you might be right.  Teams that have aging QBs might go for a kid like Hundley.   We should wait and see how well Brett performs in this year's preseason games.

Archived