Brett Hundley Value Thread

Kenrik

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  You don't trade what it'd take for the Packers to move him without securing him beyond the one year left on his contract.  The Texans traded for Matt Schaub on March 8th, and signed him to a long term deal on March 22nd.  The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith on February 27th, 2013 and signed him to a long term deal on August 31, 2014.  There's history of it.

So you are using 2 QB that had started games in the NFL regular season to a preseason only performing QB as the basis for that history.  Seems like a big leap. 

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The curious thing that hasn't been mentioned is the comp pick for Hundley when he leaves and if he is not traded.  Why trade for a 4'th or 5'th in the offseason when you are probably going to get that in return when he leaves anyway?

I agree with that idea.  However, kind of like the time value of money (a dollar today is better than a dollar tomorrow), maybe the team thinks a 2019 4th is better than a 2020 4th.  The missed cost is having Hundley on the team, but if they feel comfortable with Callahan that issue is negated.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

So you are using 2 QB that had started games in the NFL regular season to a preseason only performing QB as the basis for that history.  Seems like a big leap. 

Never said it was a perfect comparison.  As for the Alex Smith trade, everyone knew what he was at that point.  He was a serviceable starting QB, and not much more.  The fact that the Chiefs gave up as much as they did for him without a clear upside is mind-boggling to me.  As for Schaub, he had 161 career attempts prior to his trade.  Not exactly what I'd call a significant amount of passes.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Never said it was a perfect comparison.  As for the Alex Smith trade, everyone knew what he was at that point.  He was a serviceable starting QB, and not much more.  The fact that the Chiefs gave up as much as they did for him without a clear upside is mind-boggling to me.  As for Schaub, he had 161 career attempts prior to his trade.  Not exactly what I'd call a significant amount of passes.

161 passes is 4-5 games worth, at ~35 passes, or 1 if you are Drew Brees.

2 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

two starts is equal to the number of completions, and turnovers, Hundley has right now.  Don't get me wrong, I like Hundley.  But Schaub had much more live action experience with his 161 passes.

Schaub had won games as an NFL starter.  Smith was in the NFCCG, was a muffled punt away from starting in th e Super Bowl.  

Hundley needs to show a lot to warrant a long term deal should any team acquiring him.  

You might be correct in the end as there are poorly managed NFL teams .

I listened to Silverstein and Cohen this morning about his value, and they think his value stayed the same or got worse, and I'm not so sure I agree with that. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hundley was seen as a prospect with all of the physical tools you can ask for, he just was a bit raw at QB. So you mean to tell me that 3 years learning under MM and Aaron Rodgers hasn't helped him significantly? Teams haven't seen Hundley for two years basically, so he's under the radar. After these next 3 games, I think he's going to be a hot commodity again. A QB with all the tools, who has learned under two of the best in the business the last 3 years.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:22 AM, Kenrik said:

I updated it to late 5th...

Someone will get desperate for a QB down the line. In fact, I bet we could get at least a 3rd for him from Jax. Did anyone else see that crude display of offense last night on ESPN? Bortles throws like a middle school QB and when Henne was in, the receivers got the dropsees...

I am sorry, but I just haven't seen anything that pops out at me that tells me that some other team would want to trade for Hundley to be their starter.  When does he hit free agency? 

If it's after next year, some teams might wait until then and take a chance.  Right now, if I had to give him a trade value, it would 5th rd pick at best.

Archived