The myth of NFL parity

youngosu

1 minute ago, youngosu said:

In MLB Tampa Bay may choose to spend less than the Yankees but their owner can spend just as much is he wants, the opportunity is equal. It may be more difficult for Tampa Bay to turn a profit but they still have the equal opportunity. 

No, in baseball there ISN'T equal opportunity. You can't compare the market of New York to the market of say, Minnesota or Tampa. They have much more income at their disposal and without a true Salary cap it means they can buy their way to the top, yet they have more "parity". It's not the results that matter, it's the opportunity.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

You sound like a really open minded person lol

I'm open to an actual argument of why the NFL has parity. 

But when the only argument is to cherry pick (use 1 division) or change the definition of parity you are correct, I will be pretty close minded to that.

Lol, already explained why this is ridiculous above. 

I guess college football has parity than right? Every school has 85 scholarships to use on their roster, equal opportunity. 

I guess we are no changing the definition of parity. 

I must have missed the part where you made a convincing argument that it was ridiculous...

Introducing a strawman won’t help either. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

No, in baseball there ISN'T equal opportunity. You can't compare the market of New York to the market of say, Minnesota or Tampa. They have much more income at their disposal and without a true Salary cap it means they can buy their way to the top, yet they have more "parity". It's not the results that matter, it's the opportunity.

You do realize you just agreed with my whole argument right? That the NFL has less parity than MLB. You literally just agreed and that was my whole argument. Thank you for agreeing. 

And FYI, not every team in the NFL has equal revenue either. So if that is now your argument than the NFL isn't equal either. 

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Honestly the only two things separating the AL and the AFC are Bill Belichik and Tom Brady.

Huh, you must be ignoring the Colts dominance of the South. That's fair I guess. 

NFL parity is a myth but fans want to believe it to be true so I guess its true. NFL propaganda is strong. 

Just now, BossierWhoDat said:

No, I think you asked the question, "When can we get rid of the NFL parity myth?"

For any of us to answer that question, we need to agree on what parity looks like...

Fine, what does parity look like to you?

11 minutes ago, youngosu said:

I'm open to an actual argument of why the NFL has parity. 

25 minutes ago, youngosu said:

I figured I'd get lots of pushback, fans are invested in believing the NFL's lie about parity and no one likes to admit they bought into a lie. 

4 minutes ago, youngosu said:

NFL parity is a myth but fans want to believe it to be true so I guess its true. NFL propaganda is strong. 

Riiiight...

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Riiiight...

How bout you actually make an argument? 

When someone calls someone close minded instead of attempting to make an actual argument it certainly appears they have no argument to make. Yet you still think it has parity I assume without any evidence to support said belief? And I am the close minded one.

How bout you actually make an argument? 

When someone calls someone close minded instead of attempting to make an actual argument it certainly appears they have no argument to make. Yet you still think it has parity I assume without any evidence to support said belief? And I am the close minded one.

17 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Introducing a strawman won’t help either. 

tenor.gif

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

tenor.gif

Lol, so comparing the NFL to MLB is a strawman? 

Okay. You have convinced me with an amazing argument. 

Fine, the NFL has the greatest parity of seen in professional sports. Its amazing. Better? 

1 hour ago, youngosu said:

Seriously where is all this parity people keep talking about? Its a myth. And I don't understand why so many people buy into it. Compare the AFC to the AL since 2002 and despite the AL having less playoff appearances available you still see a better balance of playoff appearances in the AL compared to the AFC.

Since 2002:

Patriots 14 playoff appearances (PA), Jets 5 PA, Dolphins 2 PA, Bills 1 PA

Steelers 11 PA, Ravens, 8 PA, Bengals 7 PA,  Browns  1 PA

Colts 12 PA, Titans 5 PA, Texans 4 PA, Jaguars 3 PA, 

Broncos 8 PA, Chargers 6 PA, Chiefs 4PA, Raiders 2 PA

That is the AFC, compare that to the AL 

Yankees 11 PA, Red Sox 9 PA, Rays 4 PA, Orioles 3 PA, Blue Jays 2 PA

Twins 7 PA, Tigers 5 PA, Indians 4 PA, White Sox 2 PA, Royals 2 PA, 

Angels 7 PA, Athletics 7 PA, Rangers 5 PA, Astros 4 PA (2 since moving to AL), Mariners 0 PA

Parity is a myth in the NFL. MLB which is the sport everyone claims has no parity has more parity than the NFL. Your baseball team is more likely to go from a non-playoff team to a playoff team (and vice versa) than your NFL team is. When can we kill this myth?

Every AFC team has a playoff appearance, 1 AL team has 0 playoff appearances.   How does that mean the AL has more parity than the AFC????

41 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Would I? 

Just because the champions change doesn't mean you have parity. 

NFC

Eagles 9 PA, Giants 7 PA, Cowboys 6 PA, Redskins 4 PA

Packers 12 PA, Vikings 6 PA, Lions 3 PA, Bears 3 PA

Falcons 8 PA, Panthers 7 PA Saints 6 PA, Buccaneers 3 PA, 

Seahawks 11 PA, 49ers 4 PA, Cardinals 4 PA, Rams 3 PA

Still less parity than the American League.

And the reason I didn't show the NFC was time. 

All NFC teams with playoff appearances, 1 AL team having 0 playoff appearances.  How does that mean the AL has more parity than the NFC????

Archived