49ers sign jonathan Cooper Guard

49erurtaza

Just now, Forge said:

If nothing else, this should allow for us to finally cut Beadles, right? RIGHT???!!!!! Dear god, please tell me I'm right...

I would hope so lol but brings in some competition to Garnett and laken. Hopefully we draft a guard early because it's going to look scary at both guard positions.

Anyone know anything about him?  I know he started 13 games for Dallas last year, geyond that I know nothing.  I do know that he was one of the highest drafted G's ever ... which of course ought to remind us that even a G that seems so "can't miss" that a team takes him in the top 10 can still turn out not to be a star.

Oh, and I love, LOVE how this FO is handling off season. We've got Garnett, Richburg, and now Cooper.  Could be an entire new starting 3 in the middle of our o-line.  And we got a great, if healthy, CB and a pass rusher in a year in which there were not really any good ones available. I'm thinking Nelson is now offically off the list of potential picks at 9.  All three dbs are candidates although I think we need another CB more than a S. In the end though I think it comes down to Smith, Edmunds and Davenport (in no particular order for me). Although of course Cooper was only signed for a year so if Nelson did happen to fall then ???

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Anyone know anything about him?  I know he started 13 games for Dallas last year, geyond that I know nothing.  I do know that he was one of the highest drafted G's ever ... which of course ought to remind us that even a G that seems so "can't miss" that a team takes him in the top 10 can still turn out not to be a star.

Got injured in the third preseason game his first year and then basically kept getting injured. Never really developed because of those injuries and they kept holding him back. Don't think he was anything special last year so basically a depth player that can challenge Garnett and Tomlinson.

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Oh, and I love, LOVE how this FO is handling off season. We've got Garnett, Richburg, and now Cooper.  Could be an entire new starting 3 in the middle of our o-line.  And we got a great, if healthy, CB and a pass rusher in a year in which there were not really any good ones available. I'm thinking Nelson is now offically off the list of potential picks at 9.  All three dbs are candidates although I think we need another CB more than a S. In the end though I think it comes down to Smith, Edmunds and Davenport (in no particular order for me). Although of course Cooper was only signed for a year so if Nelson did happen to fall then ???

Pass rusher?

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Got injured in the third preseason game his first year and then basically kept getting injured. Never really developed because of those injuries and they kept holding him back. Don't think he was anything special last year so basically a depth player that can challenge Garnett and Tomlinson.

Dug in a little.  He was waived by NE who have a pretty good eye for talent.  And then he was waived by Cleveland  whose talent level is so bad that's not saying much either.  So I'm guess ing he might just be targeted as competition for Beadles for the backup spot.

15 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Anyone know anything about him?  

He's not good. 

He's a body and a guy that I imagine would compete for the backup guard spot, though I suppose given that Garnett and Tomlinson aren't very good, it's possible that he challenges for a starting spot...but that really shouldn't make anyone feel comfortable given his career so far. I think he pushes Beadles or Magnusson off the roster and that's about it. 

14 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Cooper is not someone you want starting, so I"m not sure why you're super excited about this one. I doubt that he's going to turn a corner at this point in his career, though anything is possible I guess. But right now, I'd say he's more in competition with Beadles and Magnusson rather than Tomlinson / Garnett. IT's a depth signing with upside. I've thought that Nelson was off the board for a little bit now, but if we are eschewing him to sign Cooper, we need to have a serious discussion about our FO's ability to evaluate talent lol. 

Also, what pass rusher? The Attaochu signing? I mean, his career high in sacks is 6, he hasn't played regularly in two years, and there's a shot that he doesn't even start or anything. Similar to this deal, it's a low risk, moderate upside move where I''m not really counting on a ton. 

Neither of these signings should be expected to solve anything. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Cooper is not someone you want starting, so I"m not sure why you're super excited about this one. I doubt that he's going to turn a corner at this point in his career, though anything is possible I guess. But right now, I'd say he's more in competition with Beadles and Magnusson rather than Tomlinson / Garnett. IT's a depth signing with upside. I've thought that Nelson was off the board for a little bit now, but if we are eschewing him to sign Cooper, we need to have a serious discussion about our FO's ability to evaluate talent lol. 

Also, what pass rusher? The Attaochu signing? I mean, his career high in sacks is 6, he hasn't played regularly in two years, and there's a shot that he doesn't even start or anything. Similar to this deal, it's a low risk, moderate upside move where I''m not really counting on a ton. 

Neither of these signings should be expected to solve anything

Exactly. Not like we signed Charles Haley and Guy McIntyre lol. More like Barry Sims and Tully Banta Cain. These signings suck.

Eh, I like Attachou a lot more than Cooper. I think he's going to be someone we see regularly. 

But I think both are still depth signings. Guys that if we can't pick-up a guard and leo in the first 2 rounds that we like, we aren't sweating bullets wondering if there will be a warm body to throw out there. They have some experience, which is something.

And I don't think Attachou or Cooper are preventing us from taking Nelson/Chubb/Landry/Davenport with our first round pick. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Eh, I like Attachou a lot more than Cooper. I think he's going to be someone we see regularly. 

But I think both are still depth signings. Guys that if can't pick-up a guard and leo in the first 2 rounds that we like, we aren't sweating bullets wondering if there will be a warm body to throw out there. They have some experience, which is something.

And I don't think Attachou or Cooper are preventing us from taking Nelson/Chubb/Landry/Davenport with our first round pick. 

Exactly. I'm actually kind of excited to see Attachou as well, especially given that gaping hole that we have there and the fact that I thought he flashed a time or two and was a well liked prospect coming out. And I don't mean that in a negative way about this signing - like I said, it's a low risk with some moderate upside, but this didn't improve our offensive line at all in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Exactly. I'm actually kind of excited to see Attachou as well, especially given that gaping hole that we have there and the fact that I thought he flashed a time or two and was a well liked prospect coming out. And I don't mean that in a negative way about this signing - like I said, it's a low risk with some moderate upside, but this didn't improve our offensive line at all in my opinion.

No, this is purely a break even move, but I think it was needed. Beadles, even with his "versatility", can be replaced. Pretty sure Magnusson and Tomlinson have both played tackle, and Magnusson is/was a center. 

Yeah, I'm excited to see what Attachou can do tbh. I don't expect much, but he might sort of be Marsh-esque in actually having a someone net positive impact. He might also be able to play some SAM too, which would be great. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

But I think both are still depth signings. Guys that if can't pick-up a guard and leo in the first 2 rounds that we like, we aren't sweating bullets wondering if there will be a warm body to throw out there. They have some experience, which is something.

I agree with that. Outside of interior defensive linemen, QB and special teams, I think we can afford going BPA everywhere else. I hate having to go for need early on in the draft. That's the beauty of having a weak roster and no immediate superbowl aspiration, in that you can just add the greatest talent possible. I feel that pays off a lot more in the long run than targetting positions do. When we have a great roster and have a few specific positional needs, then you don't just sit at your spot and go BPA, you should trade up to get your guy at your position of need. But we're not there yet. I like that we have all our options open. 

Archived