49ers sign jonathan Cooper Guard

49erurtaza

On 3/21/2018 at 3:48 AM, big9erfan said:

I'm not excited about this signing, or the Attaochu one either. I'm excited that the FO seems to have a clear plan and is trying to upgrade obviously weak positions. I didn't expect every guy they signed to be a stud.  So Cooper and Attaochu are at least attempts to upgrade. I like that we're not sitting pat. And I like that we're taking a shot at younger guys who somehow might still have some upside left than over the hill vets that have no chance of getting better and are likely getting worse every year.

Like some of the Raiders recent FA additions. And their all 1 year deals, so if they suck we still have the cap space for FA next off season

5 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Interior OL market going strong. Well-traveled former 1st-round pick Jonathan Cooper's one-year deal with the #49ers is worth $4.95 million, including a $2M signing bonus and $4M in total guarantees.
-Tom Pelissero

Starter money?

We really overpay for the guys we want. Not a huge deal given the short nature of some of these deals, but man, it's weird. I don't get how we give this deal out but avoid ej Gaines and mewhort for 4 and 3 million. 

It would make more sense though if we think he's the starter rather than Tomlinson or Garnett, but I really don't see how he's a clear upgrade over either at this point

2 hours ago, Forge said:

We really overpay for the guys we want. Not a huge deal given the short nature of some of these deals, but man, it's weird. I don't get how we give this deal out but avoid ej Gaines and mewhort for 4 and 3 million. 

It would make more sense though if we think he's the starter rather than Tomlinson or Garnett, but I really don't see how he's a clear upgrade over either at this point

Maybe Cooper wanted two years, but we made him compromise for just one year with more money... looks to me like we're just experimenting with these guys.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Until our FO lets me down I'm willing to cut them some slack.  But I agree with your point.  Baalke used to get fixactions on guys and take them higher in the draft than he needed to. I worry whether we're now paying more for guys than we need to. Juszczyk, McKinnon, Attaochu and now Cooper.  I'm torn. I want us to win out on some of the FAs out there.  But it does seem to me that we're paying a lot for some of them. I know we're careful to write contracts we can get out of quickly. So maybe if I just think of it as paying a high rental fee to try a guy out it would be easier for me.

20 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Until our FO lets me down I'm willing to cut them some slack.  But I agree with your point.  Baalke used to get fixactions on guys and take them higher in the draft than he needed to. I worry whether we're now paying more for guys than we need to. Juszczyk, McKinnon, Attaochu and now Cooper.  I'm torn. I want us to win out on some of the FAs out there.  But it does seem to me that we're paying a lot for some of them. I know we're careful to write contracts we can get out of quickly. So maybe if I just think of it as paying a high rental fee to try a guy out it would be easier for me.

Once we prove we're a playoff team and a serious contender, maybe we'll get these same kind of deals at a discount. For the moment, we're really just overpaying to get these guys on as short an actual term as possible. I just looked at McKinnon's contract, and really, we could easily cut him after just one season and save a ton of money. We're paying A LOT in order to get that option, though. I suspect we'll do these kind of deals as long as we have cap space to spare, but when we re-signed our guys internally, and we get tighter to the cap, we won't have that luxury anymore. So I don't think what we're seeing is really indicative of what the FO will always do in the future. It's just indicative of what they want to do now, which is all about not mortgaging the future. 

Archived