2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

Other notable DT signings:

Sheldon Richardson- 1 yr 8 million base (+3 mil incentives)

Mo Wilkerson- 1yr 5 million (+3 mil incentives)

Dontarie Poe- 3yr 28 mil (13 guaranteed, 10 mil signing bonus)

Justin Ellis- 3 yr 15 mil (6 guaranteed)

Granted he's the most talented, but Suh won't like it, the DT market isn't that lucrative this year. I'm curious what the top bidder will bid. 

If it's a bidding war he's trying to create, I'm curious how aggressive we can actually be.

They must have some plans to restructure contracts and maybe are keeping this as a back pocket plan to ****** up one more name.

The only thing that kind of bugs me about this is he used us once before to drive up his market the first time around and never even made it over for a visit.  We were never seriously on his radar the first time, so either he's trying to drive up his market again or he's seeing the market isn't out there for him to get paid like his first go around.

21 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Other notable DT signings:

Sheldon Richardson- 1 yr 8 million base (+3 mil incentives)

Mo Wilkerson- 1yr 5 million (+3 mil incentives)

Dontarie Poe- 3yr 28 mil (13 guaranteed, 10 mil signing bonus)

Justin Ellis- 3 yr 15 mil (6 guaranteed)

Granted he's the most talented, but Suh won't like it, the DT market isn't that lucrative this year. I'm curious what the top bidder will bid. 

I hadn't realized that Poe got that much money. Suh can expect at least that. I think that alone prices us out of the market if he's going to the highest bidder, unless we get creative.

Suh is a bit of a mixed bag. He can be a bit of a distraction with his antics, but at least if you are going to put up with that, he is insanely talented. I can't see us affording him, but Gruden and co obviously think it is possible if we have arranged a visit.

I would love if Oakland was able to sign him, but they would have to get beyond creative with the contract. He’s not taking all these visits because he’s looking for the best fit. It’s because no one wants to meet his asking price. 

About the Suh sweepstakes is very interesting.Its not like he using us for leverage he and his free agent knows our cap situation.I think it can happen but Reggie & Gruden gonna have to work some magic.

Just for the record they told Richard Sherman they didn't have the money for him ,they could of easily told Suh that as well but they didn't so I believe we have a good shot not saying we gonna get it done but I definitely believe it can happen 

9 minutes ago, BABYLON 5 said:

About the Suh sweepstakes is very interesting.Its not like he using us for leverage he and his free agent knows our cap situation.I think it can happen but Reggie & Gruden gonna have to work some magic.

Just for the record they told Richard Sherman they didn't have the money for him ,they could of easily told Suh that as well but they didn't so I believe we have a good shot not saying we gonna get it done but I definitely believe it can happen 

Unless it's because they had a plan to spend little on CB's and more elsewhere. I doubt it though. 

And to both the above points, I'm unsure what a Gruden/McKenzie pairing will do to our contract offers. McKenzie would never create cap-crap, lots of dead money for our future. But Gruden is the longer term keystone here. So he may ask/demand we make an exception here or there. 

If the next headline about Suh reads "Suh signing with Oakland", I doubt any of us would be upset.

Mack needs help and we haven't had a guy with a nasty streak since Romanowski.

Seymour was a bit of a hot head and a mean S.O.B.on the field but those teams had no fight in them.

At the end of the day, if Suh is a possibility, we could always cut Irvin and use that money to sign Suh. I like Irvin, but if the D-line is a choice between:

Mack - Ellis - Suh - Draftee

or

Mack - Ellis - Draftee - Irvin

I'll take the Suh model and hope we can bag a DE in the draft; especially as Irvin is a position change from Linebacker and is the kind of guy who is a bit situational (imho).

@NightTrainLane I forgot to respond in the other thread. To my point about the aging players, it wasn't because we necessarily signed one or two aging players. it's the totality of starters on the roster.  Our offense could consist of Cook, Lee smith, Matthews, (maybe Decker) Lynch, Martin,  Penn too? Pretty much all our starters that touch the ball other than Cooper and Carr will need to be replaced in the next year or two, plus our LT (hopefully we'll get through the draft this year or next). I'm not starting a false narrative, I'm just observing how many starting WR's, TE's and RB's would be at the 30 mark and say 'hey, that's a concern'.  Probably could have made my point more clear, but I was lazy and expect everyone to agree with me. 

The Draft will hopefully give us a couple offensive ball handlers. But as of now, I feel very good for this year, but meh for years after that. 

Archived