2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

56 minutes ago, SinCity said:

At the end of the day, if Suh is a possibility, we could always cut Irvin and use that money to sign Suh. I like Irvin, but if the D-line is a choice between:

Mack - Ellis - Suh - Draftee

or

Mack - Ellis - Draftee - Irvin

I'll take the Suh model and hope we can bag a DE in the draft; especially as Irvin is a position change from Linebacker and is the kind of guy who is a bit situational (imho).

I suspect the first lineup would be Mack - Ellis - Suh - Edwards. A rush setup might look like Mack - Suh - Edwards - Carradine. Either way, you're right; cutting Irvin for the sake of signing Suh would be a definite upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I suspect the first lineup would be Mack - Ellis - Suh - Edwards. A rush setup might look like Mack - Suh - Edwards - Carradine. Either way, you're right; cutting Irvin for the sake of signing Suh would be a definite upgrade.

Do you think so? Suh's run stopping ability and disruptiveness inside goes far above any number metric.  But Irvin's consistent 7/8 sacks a year and does get to the passer enough. I feel like it's a bit of a wash. Suh vs Irvin 3 years ago, without a doubt. Well, also taking in consideration we don't have any good pass rushing LB's outside of Irvin right now too. 

3 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Do you think so? Suh's run stopping ability and disruptiveness inside goes far above any number metric.  But Irvin's consistent 7/8 sacks a year and does get to the passer enough. I feel like it's a bit of a wash. Suh vs Irvin 3 years ago, without a doubt. Well, also taking in consideration we don't have any good pass rushing LB's outside of Irvin right now too. 

I don't think Irvin gets enough pressure on a regular basis. If rumors of him moving to a part time role are true, I definitely don't want to pay him the over $8 million he's due. Suh hasn't really lost much of a step, and he's still an elite player who draws the attention of an elite player. I believe the team could draft Irvin's pass rush productivity in the 2nd or 3rd round (Lorenzo Carter, Kemoko Turay, Jeff Holland, etc.) if need be.

I bet Irvin would be SOOO MAD!!! Recruit Suh only to get cut so we could sign him. Lol savagery. But really if we want him they can get it done. Cut Cook and restructure Houston or Carr or KO. Then offenses will have to fear the SuhMack!!!

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

@NightTrainLane I forgot to respond in the other thread. To my point about the aging players, it wasn't because we necessarily signed one or two aging players. it's the totality of starters on the roster.  Our offense could consist of Cook, Lee smith, Matthews, (maybe Decker) Lynch, Martin,  Penn too? Pretty much all our starters that touch the ball other than Cooper and Carr will need to be replaced in the next year or two, plus our LT (hopefully we'll get through the draft this year or next). I'm not starting a false narrative, I'm just observing how many starting WR's, TE's and RB's would be at the 30 mark and say 'hey, that's a concern'.  Probably could have made my point more clear, but I was lazy and expect everyone to agree with me. 

The Draft will hopefully give us a couple offensive ball handlers. But as of now, I feel very good for this year, but meh for years after that. 

I just don't think that registers as a valid concern at this point. Haven't had the draft or any moves past the first week of FA. That is a "cross that bridge when we come to it" problem because we have 2 drafts and one FA period (2019),when we'll have roughly between 75-50 mil in cap space,  to deal with it.

But I guess to each his own. I'm not the 'worry' police.

12 hours ago, NickButera said:

Other notable DT signings:

Sheldon Richardson- 1 yr 8 million base (+3 mil incentives)

Mo Wilkerson- 1yr 5 million (+3 mil incentives)

Dontarie Poe- 3yr 28 mil (13 guaranteed, 10 mil signing bonus)

Justin Ellis- 3 yr 15 mil (6 guaranteed)

Granted he's the most talented, but Suh won't like it, the DT market isn't that lucrative this year. I'm curious what the top bidder will bid. 

When it's put in stark figures like that and when compared to the recent elevated WR signings (basically for guys still yet to prove much) the DT position is really being undervalued this off season. I know that there are questions around both Richardson and Wilkinson but both have the potential to be game changers in the right system.

I'd absolutely love signing Suh and was an advocate for signing him last time he became available in FA, unfortunately a leopard doesn't change it spots and I feel like a guy that's chased the money and wanted to be marketable in his past career isn't suddenly going to turn a 180 and be all of a sudden about the scheme fit and winning and take a team friendly deal. Maybe the Las Vegas thing will entice him with the high profile but the nasty edge in the middle is just what we need to set a guy like Mack off. Here's hoping...........

If we sign Suh some players gonna have to restructure there contracts like KO and Penn only person I believe that earned they pay is Hudson on the offensive line.Dont know if Carr and Gabe can even restructure there contracts yet.One thing for sure somebody or two bodys would have to be cut

1. Marshawn Lynch I just found out he took a little pay cut so I believe he's safe, I think 
  2. Reggie Nelson who I think is good as gone 
  3. Bruce Irving would give us 8 mil I believe in cap space 
  4. Jared Cook carr best weapon last season who I think we such keep on board
  5. Clive Walford Can't stay healthy and haven't produce on the field 
  6. I might be miss some but those are the one off the top of my head 

I was thinking the same thing. Some big money guys are going to have to restructure or get cut. It’s the only way. I thought Martin was brought in to compete with lynch and potentially save money, but it doesn’t look that way right now. 

My money is on Cook. Could save 5 mil. Maybe get Bruce to take a pay cut? I’m not sure how we even signed the guys we’ve brought in. 

3 hours ago, BABYLON 5 said:

Reggie Nelson who I think is good as gone.

Reggie Nelson's contract expired this season. He's a free agent. I think there's at least $8 million to be had between just Osemele and Hudson if they restructure. Irvin might restructure too but then the team would forfeit the right to cut him with no penalty next season.

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

I was thinking the same thing. Some big money guys are going to have to restructure or get cut. It’s the only way. I thought Martin was brought in to compete with lynch and potentially save money, but it doesn’t look that way right now. 

My money is on Cook. Could save 5 mil. Maybe get Bruce to take a pay cut? I’m not sure how we even signed the guys we’ve brought in. 

We had 20-25 mil in cap space after cutting Sean Smith.  Trading Patterson added 3-4 mil.

Has a team ever failed to reach the cap and been punished for that? I can't  honestly recall any so it appears there are always ways and means and if we really want a specific player we can make it work................the real question is how much are you prepared to mortgage your future for any one player?

Man I want this one.  It just seems like the perfect fit.  We have a gapping whole at DT and Suh wearing the Silver & Black would be so fitting.

If we land Suh, combined with Melvin, Whitehead and our top pick (which should be on defense), that would make this one hell of an offseason.

GIlchrist, Carradine & Shareece are just rotational guys who can be replaced, so not putting too much stock into them but could provide solid depth.

Crossing my fingers this happens.

Archived