2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

Can we even afford bowman? I guess after camp cuts we will have cap space but signing number 52 is paramount.

In all honesty, if you look at our roster, what will our greatest needs be next year? I would say mlb and rb.  I could live with bowman for a year if we don’t overpay. Can’t believe Josey Jewell is on the Broncos. Dammit

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Now you're just bending things to fit your narrative. James and Morrow have showed many flashes and traits to surmise they can be starting LBs. Whether they stay healthy (James) or build on that (both) is unknown.

Think I'm gonna sit in the middle of this discussion as I, like you do want to see if James or Morrow can develop but I also think we needed to invest in the position too. I can't see both James and Morrow becoming genuine stars, but I can see them as the fillers of the position....being decent complementary pieces. Bowman could be the main man for a year but at some point we are going to have to go out and get that long term leader for the middle of the D. 

11 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

then the LBs can be avg

We haven't even had that. And the moves to address it hardly equate to building an average unit. It's all "let me tell you over and over how good some JAG is" while they wind up being bleh, while the rest of us watch signings we would die to see flourish elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Now you're just bending things to fit your narrative. James and Morrow have showed many flashes and traits to surmise they can be starting LBs. Whether they stay healthy (James) or build on that (both) is unknown.

@big_palooka isn't bending any narrative. He's pointing out the same issues I, and others, have been.

Again. Miles Burris was "heady", Ben Heeney showed "flashes". 

James hasn't shown me more than an average backup caliber LB, when he happens to be healthy. Morrow shows spot starter traits at best. 

And even by your own admission, we're hoping James stays healthy and Morrow lives up to his "potential". All based on "flashes". Taylor Mays spent like a decade in the league for showing "flashes".

They've been objectively below average,  and as he said, have a chance to improve to somewhere closer to average.

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

Can we even afford bowman? I guess after camp cuts we will have cap space but signing number 52 is paramount.

In all honesty, if you look at our roster, what will our greatest needs be next year? I would say mlb and rb.  I could live with bowman for a year if we don’t overpay. Can’t believe Josey Jewell is on the Broncos. Dammit

Pizzed me off

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

By traits, you mean "potential". Can you point to them and say the LBs will be fine this season? I can't rely on James/Morrow to be starting because of the unknowns. 

This is just like starting Carrie and Hayden at CB because they showed 'flashes and traits". And then in season, Raiders were panic buying CBs. Just like they had to panic buy a MLB 2 years in a row because they fail to address it.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

We haven't even had that. And the moves to address it hardly equate to building an average unit. It's all "let me tell you over and over how good some JAG is" while they wind up being bleh, while the rest of us watch signings we would die to see flourish elsewhere. 

@big_palooka isn't bending any narrative. He's pointing out the same issues I, and others, have been.

James hasn't shown me more than an average backup caliber LB, when he happens to be healthy. Morrow shows spot starter traits at best. 

And even by your own admission, we're hoping James stays healthy and Morrow lives up to his "potential". All based on "flashes". Taylor Mays spent like a decade in the league for showing "flashes".

They've been objectively below average,  and as he said, have a chance to improve to somewhere closer to average.

Thank you. Well said. There isn't an argument anyone can make to me that doesn't leave me uneasy with the LBB position. 

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Thank you. Well said. There isn't an argument anyone can make to me that doesn't leave me uneasy with the LBB position. 

You should feel uneasy because the LB’s leave a lot to be desired. I’m hoping an improved DL will help.

7 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

my guess of needs for 2019:

RB- Lynch another year older

TE- Cook turned 31 and last year of his contract

WR- Nelson and Bryant both question marks for different reason. could pan out!

MLB- yet to address position

Possibly DE- Edwards is on one year contract. He could be gone in 2019, or have a great year and retained

possibly CB- Conely has yet to prove himself

those are potential needs for 2019

7 hours ago, reddevil said:

Think I'm gonna sit in the middle of this discussion as I, like you do want to see if James or Morrow can develop but I also think we needed to invest in the position too. I can't see both James and Morrow becoming genuine stars, but I can see them as the fillers of the position....being decent complementary pieces. Bowman could be the main man for a year but at some point we are going to have to go out and get that long term leader for the middle of the D. 

But that is the thing, we don't need stars at every position. We do need guys that can do there jobs and produce and they seem like they have the ability to do that. So, yes, they can be could be fillers or turn into longterm guys that play there role in a good defense.

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I absolutely think that James and Morrow have been average and can build on that and I was saying that palooka was bending the narrative about him describing James as showing nothing and Morrow not showing starter traits and us having no solution at Mike or Will. We have 3 very promising young backers in James Lee and Whitehead to play those slots and maybe move inside.

Look I'm not arguing that we have invested heavily in the position. I'm saying that the young guys we have behind a good dline line will surprise and produce. Anything else you guys are saying I wasn't addressing.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

By traits, you mean "potential". Can you point to them and say the LBs will be fine this season? I can't rely on James/Morrow to be starting because of the unknowns. 

This is just like starting Carrie and Hayden at CB because they showed 'flashes and traits". And then in season, Raiders were panic buying CBs. Just like they had to panic buy a MLB 2 years in a row because they fail to address it.

No. By traits I mean speed, play recognition, pursuit, tackling and coverage.

Does anyone here believe that anyone on our team currently would start for any other team @ MLB.  I say no and it has been that way for a few years at the beginning of the season.  This is what drives me nuts.  Yes you do not need a star at MLB to be successful but it is a position that if you have a bad player there it significantly hurts your team.  Right now I would settle for a player that was a true MLB and could start for just a few teams.  Currently I think the player that would perform best at MLB is Irvin but  no way we pay him that kind of money to play there.

22 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

So if over the hill guy can be had after the draft and they can improve our defense so much then it stands to reason that we should address other spots first and fill the MLB gap (if needed) by the guys that will surely be there later. Stop gap LTs, DTs or corners won't be there later like a MLB because the position isn't as valuable. Maybe when the team doesn't have as many holes we can afford to invest there but I think they made the correct call this year in the top rds. 

Or we can invest in a good MLB that really knows how to play the position with a good work ethic then start taking late round flyers that can learn from said player and advance beyond their natural abilities.  That is part of the reason why certain teams have particular positions that they churn out good players at specific positions every year no matter how highly thought of the prospect is when they come out.  Coaching and scheme play a part also but learning by example is a huge part also.

Archived