2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

I don't really get the hate on this FA period. The hate seems to focus heavily on Jordy Nelson and Doug Martin. Bear in mind these things: Nelson, while a few years older than Crabtree, fits what this team has needed for a couple years. One guy who can catch the damn ball on key downs and keep the offense going. You have to have some sort of stable consistent player on offense to catch the ball. Crabtree's hands were massively overblown, they were really not good at any point in a Raider uniform. And whatever the internal issue there was with him, you can be sure Nelson won't bring that baggage. It's a wash to me, with a heavy tilt toward a more stable team and offense.

Martin, clearly at this point, is just going to battle it out with Richard and Washington for role player snaps. A completely third tier depth signing of a role player at most. Any hate on that is completely overblown by not taking into account the limited role he would play, at most. At the least, he is cut. At the most, 5 touches a game. Lynch is obviously the starter. 

Most of the rest are role players (Carrier, Smith, Depaola), depth players (Carradine, Gilchrist) , ST players (Lamur, Wilbur), and guys not guaranteed anything as far as starter roles (Giacomini, Martin). Probably two starters on D, one of which is acceptable and one of which is mildly exciting. A perfectly normal FA period as far as I can tell. 

In a FA period where Oakland was not flush with cash and other teams were, the signings are entirely in line with expectations. Or at least expectations of what a sensible fan should have expected. People really seemed to freak out on the 1998 comment by Gruden, freaked out on the Crabtree cut (and Amerson and Smith for that matter), and have freaked out on the reality that this isn't a Super Bowl worthy roster as of yet (without a great draft or two). It wasn't a SB roster before Gruden showed up either. Most of all I think that there is an expectation that this team is going to sign some magical overlooked group of low tier FAs and they are going to emerge like beautiful butterflies to make a great defense for cheap while 31 other teams miss the mark on not only one guy, but 3 or 4 of them in one FA period. See Gerald Hodges last year as the next LB savior, see him later released. Realistically, if Melvin alone has a good year that's a big FA win. One FA win is big, win meaning a genuine unexpected gain. Multiple wins is borderline fantasy. Multiple wins with limited cash is Powerball odds. 

4 hours ago, holyghost said:

I don't really get the hate on this FA period. The hate seems to focus heavily on Jordy Nelson and Doug Martin. Bear in mind these things: Nelson, while a few years older than Crabtree, fits what this team has needed for a couple years. One guy who can catch the damn ball on key downs and keep the offense going. You have to have some sort of stable consistent player on offense to catch the ball. Crabtree's hands were massively overblown, they were really not good at any point in a Raider uniform. And whatever the internal issue there was with him, you can be sure Nelson won't bring that baggage. It's a wash to me, with a heavy tilt toward a more stable team and offense.

Martin, clearly at this point, is just going to battle it out with Richard and Washington for role player snaps. A completely third tier depth signing of a role player at most. Any hate on that is completely overblown by not taking into account the limited role he would play, at most. At the least, he is cut. At the most, 5 touches a game. Lynch is obviously the starter. 

Most of the rest are role players (Carrier, Smith, Depaola), depth players (Carradine, Gilchrist) , ST players (Lamur, Wilbur), and guys not guaranteed anything as far as starter roles (Giacomini, Martin). Probably two starters on D, one of which is acceptable and one of which is mildly exciting. A perfectly normal FA period as far as I can tell. 

In a FA period where Oakland was not flush with cash and other teams were, the signings are entirely in line with expectations. Or at least expectations of what a sensible fan should have expected. People really seemed to freak out on the 1998 comment by Gruden, freaked out on the Crabtree cut (and Amerson and Smith for that matter), and have freaked out on the reality that this isn't a Super Bowl worthy roster as of yet (without a great draft or two). It wasn't a SB roster before Gruden showed up either. Most of all I think that there is an expectation that this team is going to sign some magical overlooked group of low tier FAs and they are going to emerge like beautiful butterflies to make a great defense for cheap while 31 other teams miss the mark on not only one guy, but 3 or 4 of them in one FA period. See Gerald Hodges last year as the next LB savior, see him later released. Realistically, if Melvin alone has a good year that's a big FA win. One FA win is big, win meaning a genuine unexpected gain. Multiple wins is borderline fantasy. Multiple wins with limited cash is Powerball odds. 

+1  Gilchrist might be starter so we added 3 defensive starters, and EJ Manuel key depth guy

Excellent post Holy. I too don't know what people were expecting. It was evident from the start that we weren't going to engage heavily in FA and didn't have the cash to do so. I think it shows the anxiety levels after a tease of a season and then the disaster that was last year. 2 years ago gave us a taste and then it disintegrated so fast. And now, with the question marks around Gruden and whether he'll be successful, it's almost like fans craved some known commodities to make them feel more certain. 

Im pretty satisfied with what's happening so far as it shows a serious and deliberate direction to bring in players who know what the coaches want, are good pros and are there to fit a specific purpose. 

Just gotta wait for the draft to see if this new staff group can make a real difference. At that point it will be time to judge.

I saw on first take that some guy was like "the Raiders have made no defensive additions", and completely ignored signing Melvin and Whitehead, let alone the fact that Gilchrist has been a serviceable starter for a long time. Why do they even pay these analysts? It's a joke.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I saw on first take that some guy was like "the Raiders have made no defensive additions", and completely ignored signing Melvin and Whitehead, let alone the fact that Gilchrist has been a serviceable starter for a long time. Why do they even pay these analysts? It's a joke.

Stephen A was actually one of the first to not take the “ 1998 “ quote literally unlike The chuckleheads at Rotoworld and Around the NFL pod

Funny thing was that Gruden said it when speaking of analytics. Ppl are using it to criticize the moves we are making. Not trying to compare us to the patriots, but don’t they have a blocking fullback on their roster. Nothing wrong with trying to have a balanced offense. Do ppl actually think Jon Gruden is going to have a run first team? Think we will be balanced and game plan according to our opponent.

8 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Stephen A was actually one of the first to not take the “ 1998 “ quote literally unlike The chuckleheads at Rotoworld and Around the NFL pod

To their credit, the ATN pod don't pretend to be league experts. Well, except maybe Chris Wesseling. Rotoworld can shove it, though.

22 hours ago, holyghost said:

I'm still mixed about Jordy, but Martin is the one that I just can't get behind.  Why even bring him in?  What does he add that we don't already have and because we already have 2 similar style backs, we also know the limits of those types of backs.  He's basically DeAndre Washington.  Martin is stocky, compact, not overly elusive and not even known for being a receving back.  He's, to me at this point, has lesser value as a 3rd down back compared to Richard, and just an older version of Washington.

And a point I made on the draft thread is why add Martin instead of just finding someone in the draft with the class that's coming out?  I don't know if there is a plan or not to get a guy in the draft but if there is one, then why add Martin at all and if there isn't a plan to add young RB because of having Martin, then that is more head scratching.

This is deep RB class and we can find great value in the 3rd or 4th rd who could have RB1 ability....or at least bring more upside to the table than Martin.

If adding Martin winds up pushing out either Washington or Richard, to me you don't go older with guys who have similar skill sets....and if by having Martin means we pass on any RB prospect in this year's draft, then to me that's just dumb.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Whitehead and Gilchrist are non consequential players. They are not impact players, do you really expect Stephen A to bring them up on TV?

Melvin can be good, but he had a breakout year on a bad team that nobody paid attention to last year. I wouldn't expect national TV media to know much about him.

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Whitehead and Gilchrist are non consequential players. They are not impact players, do you really expect Stephen A to bring them up on TV?

Melvin can be good, but he had a breakout year on a bad team that nobody paid attention to last year. I wouldn't expect national TV media to know much about him.

Whitehead will make make $6 million per year and played nearly 1k snaps in 2017. He's will be a consequential player in 2018.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Not bringing them up and saying that no additions are made are not the same thing.

Archived