Surprise Top 12 Pick?

TakeTheBallDeep

It seems like most years we see a player sneak into the top 10-12 that is not expected or for example last year we saw 3 WRs go in the top 10. Who do you think could be selected in the top 12 this year that most might not be be expecting? Will we see a run of a certain position (other than QB) like the WRs last year?

So I'm going to look at guys that I haven't seen targeted anywhere in the top 12, yet are on the borderline of that first round. I thought about Landry, and I think that's a good one. I don't think anyone on FF would be surprised if he went top 12 based on some of the comments I've seen, but a lot of the mocks I've seen at other places are him in the early and mid 20's. So I do think that's a good one. 

The guy I'm going to go with however,  as a true, true shocker top 12 pick is Kolton Miller. I've seen him largely in that tail end of the first round discussion, and sometimes not even in the first round. But teams do tend to get a little sketchy when it comes to reaching for tackles, and he showed out better at the combine than expected, and with Orlando Brown trying to recover his draft stock, and Mike McGlinchey being the great "meh" draft prospect it seems like, Miller could be the guy that benefits. 

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think T at 12 is the pick if CLE trades back.   GM Dorsey strikes me as a need-based drafter in CLE right now.

Is Derwin James a surprise pick at top 12?  If so, I think he gets in.   

First of all, there is no LT worth taking in the first round.

Second of all, there is no LT worth taking in the top 12.

Third of all, we are going to roll with the 4 OT's we already have on the roster.

The chances of the Browns trying to get a Joe Thomas replacement in this draft are extremely low because the chances of finding that guy are extremely unlikely. Shon Coleman, the man that will move to LT, is going to have to fail before they look for a replacement. I expect Coleman to struggle, but from the moment he was drafted I assumed the long-term plan was to move him over to LT when Joe retired. The organization confirmed Coleman's move to LT and I'm willing to bet my last dollar he gets every chance to pass/fail before they reach hard for his replacement.

I'd be shocked if Derwin James didn't go in the top 12. There would be a lot of GM's with shame on their faces if this happened.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I think T at 12 is the pick if CLE trades back.   GM Dorsey strikes me as a need-based drafter in CLE right now.

Is Derwin James a surprise pick at top 12?  If so, I think he gets in.   

No.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Surprise player in top 12 would most likely be Lamar Jackson. A positional run, outside of QB, might well be at RB, later in the round. 

That's not really a surprise, especially how QBs tend to get overvalued on draft day.

I think so-called top players in scarce positions may flirt going top 12. Some already mentioned one of the receivers. Today on the Move the Sticks podcast, I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who suggested if the Bills can't move from 12, they'll go ahead and take Mason Rudolph; that would be a big surprise for almost anyone.

Archived