Surprise Top 12 Pick?

TakeTheBallDeep

Mason Rudolph

If 3 QBs go with the top 4 picks I can see teams trading away the farm to move up for whatever QBs are left and this might force someone to reach for Rudolph.

My other darkhorse is Josh Jackson.  Don't think this would have been shocking to anyone months ago but since he isn't a workout warrior many teams are going to overlook him.  All it takes is one intelligent team to see what he can do which is get your offense the ball (or score points on the defensive side of the ball).  

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Could definitely see Tremaine and Minkah falling out. But too many teams could use OL help and Nelson is the best player I've ever evaluated. He won't fall out of the top 12 IMO.

Nelson is probably a longshot to fall.  I don't have him falling based on talent level,  it's more positional. We've seen Decastro fall into the 20's when he was widely considered top ten and Zach Martin went in the later teens.  Then again guys like Cooper, Warmack and Scherff have gone top ten.  At the end of the day he is a guard and teams in the top 12 may be looking for more of a "splash" player

On 3/20/2018 at 11:28 PM, Rich7sena said:

if the Bills can't move from 12, they'll go ahead and take Mason Rudolph;

Wow- Mason Rudolph, A.J. McCarron, AND Nathan Peterman, all on the Bills???

How unfair would that be! Can you IMAGINE the aerial circus that would fly o'er Buffalo?

"Our passes shall blot out the sun." "Good- then we shall play in the shade!"

15 hours ago, Profound23 said:

Mason Rudolph

If 3 QBs go with the top 4 picks I can see teams trading away the farm to move up for whatever QBs are left and this might force someone to reach for Rudolph.

My other darkhorse is Josh Jackson.  Don't think this would have been shocking to anyone months ago but since he isn't a workout warrior many teams are going to overlook him.  All it takes is one intelligent team to see what he can do which is get your offense the ball (or score points on the defensive side of the ball).  

Don't worry about Jackson, there are a lot of teams that rely on zone schemes and press coverage, where Jackson will fit quite smoothly. Teams that rely strictly on man to man coverage skills, simply will not draft him! 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I can't see Edmunds or Nelson. Too many teams need o-line help and Nelson is a special prospect. Edmunds I'd be surprised about, just because Chicago, 49ers, Raiders and Miami could all make a ton of sense, but I suppose it depends on what happens there at the bottom of the top 10. 

Their only problem is their positional value. LBers and OG's are secondary positions in the modern era where passing the ball dominates!!! I do not think either falls too much, but Edwards might fall slightly out of the top 10 and Nelson may struggle to be a top 5 pick with so many QB's in demand!!!

Minkah could easily fall out of the top 10 in my opinion, and I think Derwin doesn't go until the teens. Roquan , if you consider him a likely a top 12 pick is the guy I'd probably bank on. Off the ball linebackers aren't high on the positional value chart, Tony Pauline (FWIW) said that some teams red flagged his medical, and I don't think it would be completely out of the questions that some teams that could use him, may like a guy like Evans or LVE more and end up taking one of them instead. 

In the passing era, Safeties have moved up into a primary position, so both Fitzpatrick and James are likely top 10 picks! I agree on Smith!

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

Don't worry about Jackson, there are a lot of teams that rely on zone schemes and press coverage, where Jackson will fit quite smoothly. Teams that rely strictly on man to man coverage skills, simply will not draft him! 

But the problem is, there are a billion corners that can play in an off zone scheme. The value for a zone corner is extremely low. I remember when Josh Norman was in college. He obviously came from a smaller school and was therefore punished a little more harshly, but he wasn't selected until the 4th round IIRC. If you can't turn and run with WR's in the NFL, your value is going to take a significant hit. I like Josh Jackson for a zone scheme team, but there isn't much of a difference between Jackson and a guy like Isaiah Oliver, who can play both man and zone.

I think Jackson falls out of the 1st round completely and Gregg Williams smashes the table to acquire him because he's literally perfect for our scheme. Jackson is only a great fit with like 5-6 NFL defenses. Just so happens that the Browns are one of those teams. He's going to be on our radar big-time I'd imagine if he's sitting there in the 2nd round.

Typically a surprise jump happens when a team is completely desperate for a QB and overvalues someone. I think Lamar Jackson could end up being that guy. Teams will fall for his elite athletic ability and overlook his UFA level passer ability.

Archived