New football league, the AAF, debuts next year

navysaintsfan

"Polian said that eliminating one of the most dangerous parts of football – kickoffs -- was paramount to those involved in creating the AAF. There will be no kickoffs as teams will start on the 25-yard line after a score and at the start of each half.

Since there are no kickoffs, however, that means no onside kicks, but Polian said he found a solution: The team that scored a touchdown gets the ball on its 35 in a 4th-and-10 situation."

That...is interesting.

" Charlie Ebersol, who will serve as AAF’s CEO, presented the new spring league not as a rival to the NFL. Fellow co-founder and former longtime NFL team executive Bill Polian described the AAF almost as a feeder system to the the NFL, since players will not be locked into long-term deals and seasons will end April, well before the start of NFL training camps."

I'm more than game.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

No kickoffs and no onside kicks obviously.

instead a team can choose to keep the ball after scoring, but they will get it on a 4th and 10 at their own 35

wierd

Also no PATs. Strictly 2 point conversions. I like these little wrinkles. Will keep it interesting.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't like the 4th and 10 from the 35 idea.  Some offenses will be good enough to convert that at 35-40%. 

I'm definitely watching it though. 

That means roughly 60% of the time you’ll be giving the other team the ball back in (or near) scoring position.

I don’t know if that’ll be worth the risk

2 minutes ago, D-Hemi said:

Does anyone have any clues or rumors on what cities are getting teams.

I haven't seen anything, but I think we can assume New York and somewhere in Cali will get teams. I'm also willing to bet some locales like Orlando, Nashville, and San Antonio get consideration. Unless they want all the normal markets. Chicago, Dallas, NYC, maybe Oakland, Atlanta, and the like.

Just now, Jeezla said:

So this league and xfl gonna be fighting for the same players?

I think they will parse themselves. This may serve as more of a feeder league to the NFL. I think the XFL is going to attract a different type of mentality. Of course there will be some amount of crossover between the two.

Archived