New football league, the AAF, debuts next year

navysaintsfan

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think having an all-north America feeder league is a pretty decent idea. Have a few Mexican teams and maybe a Canadian team if the market is there along with US teams in smaller markets. 

There are avenues for a feeder league to do very very well. The XFL if it even happens isn't gonna be it lol but this could be if done right.

I agree but don't understand the logic of putting said league in the spring. Any feeder league should play in the fall. 

I've never understood this fascination with a spring feeder league for football. 

A spring league could have a purpose (like the NBA summer league) but that purpose isn't the same as what a feeder league does (think NBA G-League).

21 minutes ago, youngosu said:

I agree but don't understand the logic of putting said league in the spring. Any feeder league should play in the fall. 

I've never understood this fascination with a spring feeder league for football. 

A spring league could have a purpose (like the NBA summer league) but that purpose isn't the same as what a feeder league does (think NBA G-League).

You want guys in for camps, we aren't likely to see a G League for the NFL where teams own 26-28 of the lower level teams and have direct association. So you want guys to get live football action but you also want them in camps, in your TC, in your film rooms etc etc before the season starts because you can't enforce organizational uniformity the way you can in sports where  the dev leagues are concurrent. There just isn't the infrastructure for it yet.

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

There just aren't enough players laying around to make this league interesting and fun

I don't understand this train of thought. There are 32 NFL teams, 53 man rosters and about 10 PS guys. That's roughly about 2,000 players. There are 119 D1 schools, with 70-85 people on roster. On a low estimate, that's about 8,000 players. This isn't considering guys who play at D2/D3/NAIA levels, guys who played different sports in college, or guys who didn't have the grades to get into school and/or got stuck in the Juco ranks.

Sure, this league won't have mega-star type players on every roster, bit with the right coaching and development, they could turn out to put an entertaining product. 

If you're a fan who likes the best doing what they do, this isn't a league worth following. If you're a fan of watching football, there's appeal here.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

You want guys in for camps, we aren't likely to see a G League for the NFL where teams own 26-28 of the lower level teams and have direct association. So you want guys to get live football action but you also want them in camps, in your TC, in your film rooms etc etc before the season starts because you can't enforce organizational uniformity the way you can in sports where  the dev leagues are concurrent. There just isn't the infrastructure for it yet.

Which is why you build said infrastructure. Rosters are already 90 players in the offseason, creating a system where teams can send some or all of those 90 down instead of simply cutting them wouldn't be that difficult to implement. 

A spring league will never work as a developmental league because teams want those 90 players in their offseason program, not playing elsewhere (this is one of the reasons NFL Europe failed, teams stopped sending players there). A congruent schedule is the only schedule that would actually work. 

4 hours ago, youngosu said:

The NBA Summer League is just as good of a product as the G League though.

There's plenty of solid guys out there not in the NFL that can make the XFL and AAF relevant.

1 hour ago, UtahUtesFan said:

The NBA Summer League is just as good of a product as the G League though.

There's plenty of solid guys out there not in the NFL that can make the XFL and AAF relevant.

Agreed but the Summer League serves a different purpose than the G League just as the XFL/AAF would serve a different purpose than a true NFL feeder league.

I never said I was against spring football, I just don't see spring football as an NFL feeder league.

7 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Is that roster for a different league? Or is this AAF actually called The Spring League?

The Spring League is a series of games at some training camp atmosphere location where guys pay to play and play in front of scouts, coaches, etc.

Archived