Ravens sign Austin Howard

TheKillerNacho

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

It's basically a one year $5.5M deal. But that's clearly a move for a starter. Which is good because James Hurst has been terrible whenever he sees the field.

Honestly, didn't even think you guys had that much money to work with. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, didn't even think you guys had that much money to work with. 

The Ravens FO ALWAYS finds money whenever they really want to get something done. They bring in the guys they want (Weedle, Wallace, Jefferson, Maclin, Watson, Carr, Steve Smith, Monroe...) and resign their truly essential pieces like Brandon Williams*. Managing the cap with a fat QB contract is the most overhyped problem in the nfl today. 

*OK there was ONE time: KO's record breaking contract in the same offseason that Yanda was a FA

17 hours ago, wackywabbit said:
It's basically a one year $5.5M deal. But that's clearly a move for a starter. Which is good because James Hurst has been terrible whenever he sees the field.

What's the purpose behind structuring it as two "club option" years at $5.5m each? Why can't they give him that $5.5m base salary each year, but not guarantee any of it?

Which side benefits from doing it like that?

18 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

What's the purpose behind structuring it as two "club option" years at $5.5m each? Why can't they give him that $5.5m base salary each year, but not guarantee any of it?

Which side benefits from doing it like that?

I believe if we decline the option next offseason and he signs with another team, we get a compensatory pick in 2019. If it wasn't an option, and we just cut him to save that base salary, we wouldn't. Ozzie's number one goal seems to be hoarding comp picks. I don't see a downside to the team option setup. Ideally he will overperform like Mike Wallace did and the team option thing doesn't even matter because he's worth the money.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I believe if we decline the option next offseason and he signs with another team, we get a compensatory pick in 2019. If it wasn't an option, and we just cut him to save that base salary, we wouldn't. Ozzie's number one goal seems to be hoarding comp picks. I don't see a downside to the team option setup. Ideally he will overperform like Mike Wallace did and the team option thing doesn't even matter because he's worth the money.

If he underperforms and they don't pick up the option will he make enough elsewhere to get a comp pick out of him?

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

what about Gary Barnidge? 

Barnidge is cheaper in salary, wouldn't cost anything to get, and is probably just as good as vance. But he's not a 49er player that I'm trying to get rid of, so i stand by trading for vancexD

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

If he underperforms and they don't pick up the option will he make enough elsewhere to get a comp pick out of him?

I mean, it's not unlikely. The Ravens may not want him at $5M+ but another team that happens to be more desperate/cap rich could offer him over $3M or something. He's starting from a healthy salary. And even in the scenario where we decline the option and he only signs a minimum contract somewhere else, it still helps us in the comp pick formula because it'll offset an UFA we sign from another team.

45 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Dude got a raise.  Are the Ravens hurting at OT or something?  He's a below average RT.  He has good moments though.  Hopefully he can clean up the dumb penalties.

We lost our starting RT (Ricky Wagner) to FA. Our backup OT (James Hurst) who shouldn't be a backup was our main option to start at RT. He's probably the worst lineman in the league or close to it, pretty much had to overpay him. 

Archived