3 Draft Scenarios, Pick Your Favorite

G08

3 Draft Scenarios... Pick Your Favorite  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 3 Draft Scenarios... Pick Your Favorite

• 1. Tremaine Edmunds (EDGE) 2. Isaiah Wynn (OG)
    • 1. Minkah Fitzpatrick (SECONDARY) 2. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE)
    • 1. Quenton Nelson (OG) 2. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE)

I went with #1... I think Edmunds has the highest ceiling as a defender/pass rusher. I understand the lure of Harold Landry's ability to bend the edge, but giving someone like Tremaine Edmunds to Vic Fangio is the equivalent of giving a Queen to a Chessmaster.

Fangio could use him in a multitude of ways... inside linebacker in base downs, he can move him to the slot to cover WRs and/or TEs, he can matchup on a RB out of the backfield, and he can rush the passer. Having two OLBs that can not only pass rush but cover receivers and TEs is a luxury many teams do not have. (This also is why I love Minkah Fitzpatrick, but that's for another day).

It's not just about pass rushing with this kid -- he can literally do everything, but at 19 years old he needs to be allowed time to learn the nuances of the game and these positions. That's where a private visit becomes imperative; let Pace/Nagy/Fangio and the defensive staff sit down with this kid and see if he can pick things up quickly and more importantly if he has the drive and excitement to want to be used in such a manner. If they come away from that visit impressed with the kid, you have to take him. 

I understand the Quenton Nelson love, but you can read Biggs' latest piece and he states how numerous personnel evaluators have told him guards are one of the easiest positions to fill in football. We're lucky at pick #39 to have some quality interior linemen from which to pick if we decide to address defense in round 1.

I went wth one, but I would play Edmunds at ILB and not force him outside.

I haven't watched Carter to be honest.  I just watch the hyped guys unless I'm doing a full GM game thing on here.  Carter hasnt been talked about much.  I'll take a look.  

Wynn by all accounts is a solid guard and 10 year NFL player.  So a guy with HOF potential and a solid starter at a need is a good draft.   

Most people think Wynn doesnt make it out of the first however.   Could Still happen.  

I love Nelson, but everytime I run a simulation and take Nelson first Price and Daniels are sitting there at two.  

Really interesting thing is if 4 QBs go before Bears as expected, who would other 3 be?  

Nelson, Fitz, Barkley, Chubb are consensus top choices to fill the slots, but thats only 4 for 3 slots.   Barkley and Chubb should be gone.  Also, I believe some like Ward or Derwin James, especially James, and outside  possibility of Edmunds or Smith.  

I wouldnt be shocked if Bears took Derwin James or Fitz at 8.  I would be a little shocked if they took Edmunds, Ward or Smith.  I would be fairly shocked if they took Landry at 8.  Anyone outisde of the names mentioned and color me shocked.  

Bears will have a hard choice, but good thing is at least one of their top options should be there.

Really interesting to see what they would do if Barkley fell.   I think if Chubb falls they just take the pick immediately.   

I think it will bother Pace having only 2 picks in first three rounds and he will go hard to trade out of 1 or 2.  

I don't see any scenario where Barkley is available at 8 so I haven't even bothered thinking about it. Fitzpatrick is a darkhorse to be there and really, if he is, I would be hard-pressed not to take him there. Kid can do a lot of different things and it frees up our 2nd round pick to go EDGE/OG/OC or even trade down if there a lot of names there.

I think 3 QBs are absolutely to go in the top 7, which leaves Barkley/Nelson/Chubb/Fitzpatrick/Edwards. I'm fine with any of those 5 players and I don't think we have the juice to move up from 8 to 6 if someone is falling.

Given what little I know of the non-marquee draftees, I went with option one, although I'd list Edmunds at ILB, instead of Edge and if he develops the skills to be a great pass rusher, icing on the cake.

I think it's imperative that we solidify the Oline for Trubisky this season to buy time until he develops the skills to make up for weak Oline or WR play. Having said that, I strongly prefer an Oline with 4-5 good starters over one with 1 great starter and 2-3 marginal starters.

Pick a possible impact player to a position of need that has a huge upside over a serious upgrade to 1/5th of your Oline to a position that quite frankly you don't want a huge chunk of your cap tied up in.

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't see any scenario where Barkley is available at 8 so I haven't even bothered thinking about it. Fitzpatrick is a darkhorse to be there and really, if he is, I would be hard-pressed not to take him there. Kid can do a lot of different things and it frees up our 2nd round pick to go EDGE/OG/OC or even trade down if there a lot of names there.

I think 3 QBs are absolutely to go in the top 7, which leaves Barkley/Nelson/Chubb/Fitzpatrick/Edwards. I'm fine with any of those 5 players and I don't think we have the juice to move up from 8 to 6 if someone is falling.

I would rank them in this order:

1) Nelson

2) Barkley

3) Fitzpatrick

4) Edwards

No in need but highest chance of immediate and long term impact with limited downside.

Just for the sake of being bored, look at the moves Reid made his first year in KC, and Pederson made his first year in Philly...

Reid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season#Roster_changes

Pederson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Philadelphia_Eagles_season#Roster_changes

I didn't see G as a major investment outside of Isaac Seumalo being drafted in the 2nd round for the Eagles. Andy Reid's philosophy is to have a QB, two offensive tackles, two pass rushers, and two corners. He famously said "I'll figure out the rest". I'm not saying Nagy is the same way, but we have to keep in mind this is the man under whom he learned everything he knows about the NFL.

53 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

My pick is Nelson/Carter, unless Chubb somehow fell.

I wouldn't mind Edmunds because he has the athletic profile of a top-10 pick, but he will require some development.

And a key thing to remember about Edmunds, as a 19 year old he has the "athletic profile of a top-10 pick".

My thought process

1. I want to pick Trumaine Edmunds because our LB core needs some serious juice.

2. My brain kicks in and says " do not over think this" there are 4 elite non-QBs in the draft. Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Barkley.

3. We invested a ton of cash in the secondary

4. This is all about Mitch

Quenton Nelson

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

My thought process

1. I want to pick Trumaine Edmunds because our LB core needs some serious juice.

2. My brain kicks in and says " do not over think this" there are 4 elite non-QBs in the draft. Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Barkley.

3. We invested a ton of cash in the secondary

4. This is all about Mitch

Quenton Nelson

Then go back and look at how Andy Reid doesn't value guards, and how when Reid first got to KC and Pederson first got to Philadelphia they didn't invest 1st round picks or elite $$$ into guards. Then go even further and look at Harry Hiestand, a top-tier OL teacher and ask yourself why would he need someone like Nelson to groom -- especially when it could cost you an elite-level talent at a skill position.

Guards are a dime a dozen bros, Brad Biggs in his latest piece said numerous personnel evaluators told him it's the easiest position to fix in football.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Then go back and look at how Andy Reid doesn't value guards, and how when Reid first got to KC and Pederson first got to Philadelphia they didn't invest 1st round picks or elite $$$ into guards. Then go even further and look at Harry Hiestand, a top-tier OL teacher and ask yourself why would he need someone like Nelson to groom -- especially when it could cost you an elite-level talent at a skill position.

Guards are a dime a dozen bros, Brad Biggs in his latest piece said numerous personnel evaluators told him it's the easiest position to fix in football.

I would like to also consider the bust factor. Odds of busting out is much higher with these defensive reach picks. I would much rather take Fitzpatrick over any of the LBs that are projected up there. 

Archived