3 Draft Scenarios, Pick Your Favorite

G08

3 Draft Scenarios... Pick Your Favorite  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 3 Draft Scenarios... Pick Your Favorite

• 1. Tremaine Edmunds (EDGE) 2. Isaiah Wynn (OG)
    • 1. Minkah Fitzpatrick (SECONDARY) 2. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE)
    • 1. Quenton Nelson (OG) 2. Lorenzo Carter (EDGE)

My ideal 1-2 right now is:

1. Landry-Edge

Nelson-OG I don't think is there, and while I have Ward-CB as a slightly better overall prospect vs Landry-Edge, I think Landry's positional importance pushes him over the top.

2. DJ Chark-WR

This pick is a touch early on Chark compared to most draft boards, but I also think Chark is a better prospect than given credit for, and he should probably go in this range. He has the combination of speed and size that makes him a very interesting offensive piece for us, and gives us both great depth, and the ability to scheme different mismatch packages. People keep clamoring that we should get ourselves another Johnny Knox, and I think Chark is a much better version of that. Combining his speed and agility with Gabriel's speed and agility, I think gives us an incredibly scary deep ball (or just take the top off game) that should help Robinson/Meredith/Burton/Shaheen  dominate the intermediate parts of the field. I'd add that offensive Weaponry turns from a massive team weakness into arguably the strongest area on the team... and my primary goal this year is getting this new offense installed/surrounding Mitch with tools, for what is hopefully a real push to contention in 2019.

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I like Chark as well. I do however envision the horror of sportswriter pun lameness coming out in full force... If he wins a game for us? "Chark Attack" if he drops a critical ball? "DJ Shart" it's going to be terrible.

I'd look forward to harassing my brother with the horrible puns. Use Shakespeare "Chark! Chark! The lark at heaven's gate sings"

I'd get punched and deserve it. And I am fine with that. 

46 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd look forward to harassing my brother with the horrible puns. Use Shakespeare "Chark! Chark! The lark at heaven's gate sings"

I'd get punched and deserve it. And I am fine with that. 

I'm sorry, but that is far too literary for a bears fan, would you mind blubbering something about Ditka and sausage? Thanks .

21 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

It's pressure % per pass play (sacks, hurries, forced throws); including plays cancelled out by DPI and QB scrambles that were not by design -- but only if these plays were a result of a pass rush and not due to coverage. Plays such as; coverage sacks and plays where a QB is given plenty of time but 'gives up' on a play because of tight coverage are subtracted. The point is to separate QB pressure applied from the front-7 and coverage which illustrates defensive impact as a unit.

And yes, a 5% increase can make a pretty significant difference. The Ravens, Saints, Rams, Chargers, Lions, Panthers and JAX all seen increases of 4.70%, 6.10%, 3.70%, 4.90%, 6.80%, 5.00% and 8.20%, respectively. The only other top defenses that did not see a significant increase were Philly(1.9%), Vikes(1.8%), an underrated Cardinals(0.2%) and the Bills(-0.8%) and that is mainly because they were already strong in this regard last year (save for Buffalo). 

It's no secret that QB's struggle more under pressure than they do without it and we're talking about 5% out of 574 plays over the course of 16 games(29 plays over league avg). That's an avg 36 plays which is more than an entire full game worth of snaps(A starting QB averages 34 plays per game --31 pass att + 3 rush att).

To add to that, it's not just about the increase/decrease in pass rush % from one year to the next that matters most. What does matter most is about how often a defense is getting to the QB. Ideally you wanna be getting pressure about 29 to 30% of the time (or about once per drive) and we have only accomplished that feat once during Fangio's tenure. And it just so happens to be during the same year where 3 of our primary secondary players last season all have career years when just 12 months ago all 3 of them were widely considered just "bench" players at that point.  

That's why the pass rush is so important, especially these days in the passing era, and why we should most defiantly invest in the front-7 to compliment Lloyd and Hicks. It can change everything. Look at the Jags defense for example. The secondary gets all the praise but people don't realize how good that front-7 was this year. Campbell, Ngakoue, Jackson, Fowler, smoot, Jack and Dareus alone combined a total of 144 QB pressures out of the teams 171.5 last year on 197 drives with a flawed offense. 

Meanwhile, here is Chicago, our top 7 were; Acho, Floyd, Hicks, Goldman, McPhee, Houston, Trevathan.

Of those 7; One is a situational player forced into a starting position. One is injury prone. One is already gone. One other was released, brought back, is old, and his future still up in the air. That leaves Floyd and Hicks.

Good stuff. The NFL is a passing league and given a great pass and route against great coverage most of the time (can't breathe on WR anymore without getting a flag) the WR will get the catch or penalty. Stop the pass before it occurs. Also, many of the traits that allow a guy to be a good pass rusher also come in handy in running down rush plays from the backside or making the tackle upfield before the running play can develop.

Archived