MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2017 - #8-7 up

MKnight82

This is my 3rd year doing this list.  As before I’ll  be releasing approximately 2-3 players per day on the list.  If you want to see my previous two lists, you can view them here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578770 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=566620

Let’s review last year’s list to see how it turned out:

1. OT Trent Williams 
2. CB Josh Norman 
3. OLB Ryan Kerrigan 
4. TE Jordan Reed 
5. WR Desean Jackson 
6. QB Kirk Cousins 
7. CB Bashaud Breeland 
8. DE Chris Baker 
9. P Tress Way 
10. OG Brandon Scherff 
11. OLB Preston Smith 
12. WR Pierre Garcon 
13. WR Jamison Crowder 
14. OLB Junior Galette 
15. RT Morgan Moses 
16. WR Josh Doctson 
17. S Deangelo Hall 
18. K Dustin Hopkins 
19. HB Matt Jones 
20. DE Stephen Paea 

The top 6 seem to be right in line IMO.  Breeland obviously had a down year and probably shouldn’t be in the top 10.  Chris Baker was solid but not spectacular, he too should probably not have been top 10.  Tress Way had a pretty terrible year and shouldn’t have been on the list at all.  Brandon Scherff and Pierre Garcon could both have been higher.  To be fair though, I was projecting Garcon to lose a step, but he didn’t.  Preston Smith really disappointed, probably shouldn’t be on the list.  Galette, lol, I won’t make that mistake again.  Hall, Hopkins, Jones & Paea should not be on any list. 

2017 List:

1. Trent Williams

2. Ryan Kerrigan

3. Josh Norman

4. OLB Preston Smith

5. TE Jordan Reed

6. QB Kirk Cousins

7. OG Brandon Scherff

8. WR Jamison Crowder

9. RT Morgan Moses

10. DE Jonathan Allen

11. FS DJ Swearinger 

12. CB Bashaud Breeland

13. OC Spencer Long

14. MLB Zach Brown

15. HB Rob Kelley

16. TE Vernon Davis

17. CB Kendall Fuller

18. LB Ryan Anderson

19. RB Chris Thompson

20. SS Su'a Cravens

Honorable Mentions

WR Josh Doctson

OLB Trent Murphy

Honorable Mention

WR Josh Doctson

170216_doctson_dallas_615_255.jpg

I can’t put a guy with 2 career reception in the top 20, but everything from camp about Doctson has sounded very positive.  I’m hoping he becomes a younger version of Pierre Garcon for us. 

Honorable Mention

OLB Trent Murphy

trent_murphy_2014_cowboys_a_660x350.JPG

Trent Murphy had a breakout season last year.  After being asked to bulk up during training camp, he had to quickly lose weight and move back to OLB once Galette got injured.  He went on to have his best season in the NFL to date totaling 9.0 sacks, 47 tackles and a pass deflection.  Murphy had only 6.0 sacks combined from his first two years in the league.  Its possible the light has come on for him finally, but his suspension for performance enhancing drugs draws major red flags.  Until he proves last season wasn’t a fluke (and that he wasn’t cheating) Murphy remains off the top 20 list. 

SS Su’a Cravens

26_4813030.jpg 

Cravens finished with 24 tackles, 1 sack and 1 INT in a rookie year that was filled with injury and confusion.  When he was on the field he looked like a playmaker, but often he looked overwhelmed by the size of the blockers in front of him, particularly on run plays.  I’m VERY skeptical of him moving to safety (I don’t think he’s quick enough to play the position), personally I thought he should of attempted to bulk up and continue playing MLB.  But I’ll be optimistic here and put him at the end of the top 20 list. 

Btw, I really struggled after the first 15 or so players on the roster to find guys worthy of being on this list.  This has me concerned about this upcoming season if you give a fair look at our current state of talent. 

HB Chris Thompson

USATSI_9550169-e1474240695375.jpg

Thompson is a good complimentary RB.  I wish they would give him more of a chance to carry the ball out of the backfield, but he did finish with 356 rushing yards last season with a 5.2 ypc, and he caught 49 passes for 349 receiving yards.  He also scored a total of 5 TDs last year.  With Matt Jones likely being completely phased out I expect Thompson to get more opportunities this year. 

I'm not sure how I feel about a 3rd down back making the top 20. I agree with your evaluation, but that's somewhat worrisome that a guy whose 2016 stats represent 50%+ of every single career stat. We really don't have anyone else?

4 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm not sure how I feel about a 3rd down back making the top 20. I agree with your evaluation, but that's somewhat worrisome that a guy whose 2016 stats represent 50%+ of every single career stat. We really don't have anyone else?

Ya I really struggled after the top 15 or so.  

58 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Top 20 is a lot of players on a team, that's nearly the entire starting offensive & defensive players combined.

Ya and of our 22 proposed starters I don't feel like some of them should be starters in the NFL.  Hence why a 3rd down back makes the list. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya and of our 22 proposed starters I don't feel like some of them should be starters in the NFL.  Hence why a 3rd down back makes the list. 

Most teams don't have 22 starters that fans think should be starting because they can't afford to pay for all good or great starters at every position because of the salary cap.  Also, in Chris Thompson we have one of the best 3rd downs back in the NFL who had 705 yards from scrimmage last year and 5 Tds. He's certainly no slouch. If he was 10-15 pounds heavier he'd be our starting running back.

51 minutes ago, mike23md said:

If Will Compton or Mason Foster end up being on this list, I would question the integrity of the list and feel as though the auther was bribed. 

I can't see them being on the list considering Doctson & Murphy are honorable mentions.

LB Ryan Anderson

ryan%20anderson%20stretches.jpg 

Anderson is coming into the league from a big time program and should be able to contribute right away.  He didn’t start until his Senior year at Alabama (but he was a 5 star recruit stuck behind other 5 star recruits), but in his final season he ended with 61 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 passes broken up, 1 INT and a TD.  The biggest impact I expect him to make this season is in run defense.  He’s a pretty good run defender and takes good angles.  With his size, 6’2” 253, I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually replaced Mason Foster at MLB.  But for now the coaching staff seems to want to try him outside (I don’t blame them, pass rushers are more valuable).  Ultimately I think Anderson will be a high effort, solid all around LBer.  But I think his ability to rush the passer in the NFL will be limited due to his short length and less than ideal speed. 

Archived