MKnight82's Top 20 Most Talented Redskins of 2017 - #8-7 up

MKnight82

Kendall Fuller

Kendall_Fuller_041217_660.jpg

Fuller struggled at times in his rookie year, but that’s typical for rookie DBs and he was being asked to play the slot a lot which he didn’t do often in college.  I’m expecting big things from Fuller this year.  He’s reportedly had multiple INTs in training camp, and adding a DB that can make turnovers would be a huge boost to our defense.  I think Fuller can be that kind of playmaker.  He had 6 INTs as a Freshman for VT.  He had only 2 his Sophomore year but teams starting throwing away from him, then he had his injury plagued Junior year (remember too that he was a projected first round pick before he got hurt).  It wouldn’t surprise me if Fuller ends up taking Breeland’s job as the #2 CB by season end. 

4 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I think it's kind've silly to put Josh Doctson on the list last year when he had no stats, say you can't put him on the list this year because of lack of stats, then put a rookie second round pick on the list with no stats.

Well I'm projecting who will be the most impactful players on the roster this season, and typically first round picks make an impact.  So I projected him in the top 20 last year.  But after missing a whole season due to injury its always a possibility that happens again.  Perhaps I didn't word it very well.  Doctson isn't on the list because he's an injury risk and until he can prove he can stay on the field I don't think he's worthy of the list.   

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

LB Ryan Anderson

ryan%20anderson%20stretches.jpg 

Anderson is coming into the league from a big time program and should be able to contribute right away.  He didn’t start until his Senior year at Alabama (but he was a 5 star recruit stuck behind other 5 star recruits), but in his final season he ended with 61 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 passes broken up, 1 INT and a TD.  The biggest impact I expect him to make this season is in run defense.  He’s a pretty good run defender and takes good angles.  With his size, 6’2” 253, I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually replaced Mason Foster at MLB.  But for now the coaching staff seems to want to try him outside (I don’t blame them, pass rushers are more valuable).  Ultimately I think Anderson will be a high effort, solid all around LBer.  But I think his ability to rush the passer in the NFL will be limited due to his short length and less than ideal speed. 

Hmm... heard people say the same thing of Dwight Freeney, James Harrison and Elvis Dumervil. I'm not saying that Anderson turns into the great pass rushers that those 3 did but just saying the same thing was said about them.

Usually if a LB comes in as a pass rusher they stay as a pass rusher. I really seriously doubt he's ever moved to the inside.

I'll never forget Mike23MD and a former poster in here Midniteric trying to convince me that Von Miller should be moved to ILB because of his size even though he was an amazing pass rusher in college, and we all see how that worked out.

My hope is that we re-sign Brown next year and next draft we take an ILB in one of the first 3 rounds.

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hmm... heard people say the same thing of Dwight Freeney, James Harrison and Elvis Dumervil. I'm not saying that Anderson turns into the great pass rushers that those 3 did but just saying the same thing was said about them.

Usually if a LB comes in as a pass rusher they stay as a pass rusher. I really seriously doubt he's ever moved to the inside.

I'll never forget Mike23MD and a former poster in here Midniteric trying to convince me that Von Miller should be moved to ILB because of his size even though he was an amazing pass rusher in college, and we all see how that worked out.

My hope is that we re-sign Brown next year and next draft we take an ILB in one of the first 3 rounds.

Anderson isn't anywhere near the athlete Von Miller is.

Kendall Fuller is a bum, I can't envision a scenario he's a valuable contributor this year. Guy got toasted every time he was on the field last year.

Fuller played 467 snaps for the Redskins last year, 87.2 percent of which came in the slot. He finished the year with an overall grade of 51.8, and allowed a passer rating of 120.9 on all throws into his coverage, the eighth highest mark among 119 cornerbacks with at least 280 snaps. He allowed 1.78 yards per cover snap, which was well above the NFL average of 1.25.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-expecting-fuller-to-improve-this-year

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Kendall Fuller is a bum, I can't envision a scenario he's a valuable contributor this year. Guy got toasted every time he was on the field last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-washington-expecting-fuller-to-improve-this-year

He was recovering from a major injury, was playing primarily in the slot for the first time and was a rookie.  I think he'll improve significantly this year.  I do think he would be much better on the outside taking Breelands spot.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Anderson isn't anywhere near the athlete Von Miller is.

That's not my point. My point is he's always played OLB or DE, he's always been a pass rusher, not a 4-3 LB or a 4-3 ILB. I seriously doubt he'll ever switch positions.

Maybe I'm wrong about it but I'd put money on it that I'm not.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

He was recovering from a major injury, was playing primarily in the slot for the first time and was a rookie.  I think he'll improve significantly this year.  I do think he would be much better on the outside taking Breelands spot.

Exactly, I was going to say the same thing, except the Breeland stuff. Last year he didn't even really have a training camp and preseason because he was coming off his ACL injury. This year all I've heard is good things about how he's played this camp.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's not my point. My point is he's always played OLB or DE, he's always been a pass rusher, not a 4-3 LB or a 4-3 ILB. I seriously doubt he'll ever switch positions.

Maybe I'm wrong about it but I'd put money on it that I'm not.

Yet you think that Murphy can be a 3-4 DE just cause his daddy did so. Plus, you play where you're told to play. 

Got to say, I feel like Su'a Cravens got kind of bum-rushed here if he's behind a 3rd down back, a draft pick, and a 2nd year corner who was coming off an injury and a rough rookie season.

23 minutes ago, Woz said:

Got to say, I feel like Su'a Cravens got kind of bum-rushed here if he's behind a 3rd down back, a draft pick, and a 2nd year corner who was coming off an injury and a rough rookie season.

I don't expect Cravens transition to SS to be successful.

TE Vernon Davis

250px-Vernon_Davis_2016.jpg

Davis revitalized his career last year after a few middling ones in Denver and SF.  His 583 receiving yards were the most he’s had since 2013, and he finished 5th amongst Redskins receiving options last year.  Keep in mind Jordan Reed only had 686 receiving yards last year (albeit in another injury riddled campaign), but Reed is hobbled again and Davis might end up playing an even bigger role this season.  He’s also the best blocking TE on the roster.  He’s been a great addition as a #2 TE. 

HB Rob Kelley

9501642-adolphus-washington-robert-kelle

Is Rob Kelley a starting caliber RB in the NFL?  Idk.  Is he going to lead the Redskins in rushing yards in 2017?  Most likely.  Kelley led the team in rushing yards last season with 704 after Matt Jones lost his job.  Kelley also led the team with 6 rushing TDs.  He doesn’t add as much in the passing game as Jones or Thompson do, he only had 12 receptions for 82 receiving yards last year, but he a smart runner with good vision who hits the hole without dancing around in the backfield.   There’s a risk rookie RB Perine takes his spot, but reports from training camp has said Perine needs to work on his pass protection and may be a year away from making an impact. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

TE Vernon Davis

250px-Vernon_Davis_2016.jpg

Davis revitalized his career last year after a few middling ones in Denver and SF.  His 583 receiving yards were the most he’s had since 2013, and he finished 5th amongst Redskins receiving options last year.  Keep in mind Jordan Reed only had 686 receiving yards last year (albeit in another injury riddled campaign), but Reed is hobbled again and Davis might end up playing an even bigger role this season.  He’s also the best blocking TE on the roster.  He’s been a great addition as a #2 TE. 

Best blocking TE and still only an average blocking TE which, continues to be a huge issue with our offense, in particular in the run game.

Archived